Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    As noted earlier, we have met the cupcake, and the cupcake is us. - Pogo
    Yup and the enemy of my enemy is my friend
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      While we're on the subject of "The _____ for 600" I figured I would introduce a weekly feature this season which updates everyone on the outlook of our favorite soon-to-be-retired head hockey coach, and his progress towards the big goal - that next round number. So here is the first chapter of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 571
      Wins Remaining to the next round number: 29
      *Games Remaining (Next 2 Seasons - Min.): 71
      Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: approx. 40%
      WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 80%
      2016/2017 Cupcake Quotient to Date: 0/1 (0%)

Well, the "must-win" season opener at home against confirmed AHA cupcake Bentley certainly has the Wildcat faithful on edge, but in the big picture, it's a little too early to push the panic button. WIS experts have projected Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 18 game stretch of the season, until the calendar changes to 2017. WIS remains solid on this projection. There were always going to be bumps in the road, and while this one may have been a little earlier than expected, it allows our coaching staff to disabuse the young team about taking even the lesser opponents for granted. Fans are focused on whether Coach will give G Adam Clark a start in the North Country against either St. Lawrence or Clarkson. WIS predicts Clark will get the nod Friday, and Tirone will get a shot at early redemption Saturday against Clarkson. If Clark answers the bell, Coach has his first compelling decision to make; if he fails and Tirone bounces back, will it be same old, same old? We'll see soon enough ... but Coach Umile's quest for the next round number should still be an 80% likelihood, since Coach has regularly won well over 40% of his games (well, except for that last season thingie), and we should see two wins in the next 3 games to keep ahead of the modest required pace.

Predictions:

Friday: UNH 3 St. Lawrence 3
      Saturday: UNH 4 Clarkson 1

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: 10/22/16 @ home vs. Colorado College

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"
      Chuck, you're dreaming. Even when UNH had teams that won consistently on the road against superior competition, they hardly ever did more than a split up in the North Country. I've been up there a few times and I believe the 6-7 hour bus ride, the last half on two lane blacktops, can do a number
      a number on you. If they win one game I would not only be happy, but shocked.

Comment

Watching TvR vs Blues on TV tonight, just like from last spring, except the Blues won this time, 5-2. :-(
        Final score was 3-2. Not one of TvR's better games. He took two penalties, the first led to the tying goal, the second was a pretty brutal hit from behind. But he is on the first defense pairing, with Duncan Keith, still a bit of a shock to me.

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          Chuck, you're dreaming. Even when UNH had teams that won consistently on the road against superior competition, they hardly ever did more than a split up in the North Country. I've been up there a few times and I believe the 6-7 hour bus ride, the last half on two lane blacktops, can do a number on you. If they win one game I would not only be happy, but shocked.
          Greg, I'm trying with every fiber of my existence to stay positive about the boys this season. Is dreaming so bad?

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
          What makes you think there are any cupcakes out there? From where I'm sitting there is a lot of parity out there!
          When you can't spot the cupcakes on your schedule ... most likely that means YOU are the cupcake.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Greg, I'm trying with every fiber of my existence to stay positive about the boys this season. Is dreaming so bad?

When you can't spot the cupcakes on your schedule ... most likely that means YOU are the cupcake.
            I'll have a chocolate with cream cheese frosting Thank you
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              Final score was 3-2. Not one of TvR's better games. He took two penalties, the first led to the tying goal, the second was a pretty brutal hit from behind. But he is on the first defense pairing, with Duncan Keith, still a bit of a shock to me.
              Were the two ENGs called back?

I missed the first period and did not have sound in the bar, but sorry to hear that TvR had a bad game. Cool that he is playing beside Duncan Keith; he should learn a lot.

Comment

I missed the first period and did not have sound in the bar, but sorry to hear that TvR had a bad game. Cool that he is playing beside Duncan Keith; he should learn a lot.
                Some of us (myself very much included) have given the UNH coaching a rash of ch!t over recent seasons about player development. But in the interests of fairness, TvR is someone who came in at one level (modest), clearly grew and developed positively during his time at UNH, and is now skating (even if temporarily due to injuries etc.) on the first pairing of a perennial NHL powerhouse/borderline dynasty franchise.

I'd take him in a heartbeat over his talented (yet overrated) older brother for the duration of their careers.

And it's things like this that convince me to use patience with the unimpressive start to BvR's career.

Comment

I'd take him in a heartbeat over his talented (yet overrated) older brother for the duration of their careers.
                  Chuck, I think your hearts in the right place but don't turn into a crazy old man just yet.

When playing a full season, JVR is a 30g/60pt forward, on what has been an utter train wreck of a hockey team.

I love the Little Engine That Could story as much as the next guy but let's not get carried away, there's a reason one of them was the second overall pick and the other was an undrafted free agent.
                  I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                  How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                    Chuck, I think your hearts in the right place but don't turn into a crazy old man just yet.

When playing a full season, JVR is a 30g/60pt forward, on what has been an utter train wreck of a hockey team.
                    If you really meant he's done that (barely) one season out of 7 NHL seasons, yeah, I guess you're right.

I love the Little Engine That Could story as much as the next guy but let's not get carried away, there's a reason one of them was the second overall pick and the other was an undrafted free agent.
                    Wasn't Brian Lawton an overall #1 draft choice at one point?

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Were the two ENGs called back?

Went to bed before the ENGs. Sorry

Comment

So I guess no one, except Chuck, wants to talk about our chances this weekend. Back in the day there is no doubt I would be a few hours in on my trip to Potsdam. I have to say, once you get there, the twin cities (towns) of Potsdam and Canton are quite enjoyable, but it is a long ride. Once of the few reasons why I think the Wildcats will have a difficult time this weekend. UNH rarely swept up there, even in the powerhouse ECAC days. Clarkson always seemed to be a step ahead and St. Lawrence a step behind. But more than once I recall UNH actually beating Clarkson (with coaches Ceglarkski and York) only to lose the next night to St. Lawrence. So, based on the results of last weekend, where St. Lawrence split at Penn State, Clarkson won on the road at UVM, and our Mildcats spit the bit at home, it really is hard for me to see them winning either game. Starting Clark in goal gives them a better chance to do so, and perhaps inserting upperclass forwards into the lineup will as well, but the hockey was definitely uninspiring. I'll watch for awhile tonight on the live stream and see how it goes.

Comment

We will win some games this year including a significant upset or 2, but my expectation going into each game is a loss until the play convinces me otherwise so my weekend prediction is 0 - 2.

Unless a player or 2 steps up the scoring we will be fortunate to average 2.5 goals/game this season.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

If you really meant he's done that (barely) one season out of 7 NHL seasons, yeah, I guess you're right.

Wasn't Brian Lawton an overall #1 draft choice at one point?
                            He's actually done it a couple of times, when healthy. It's to the point where I think you can safely assume that's who he is. He entered the league at a fairly young age, I don't think he's hit his prime yet. AND he's put up those numbers while playing for, wait for it, the freaking Toronto Maple Leafs, one of the most inept, bottom dwellers in the league for the entire time he's been there. It's not like he's been surrounded by all star talent that gets him the puck or takes attention off of him. Put him on, I don't know, the Sharks, with Joe Thornton feeding him the puck the past few years and it's not a stretch to say he could be putting up 40 goals a year.

Bottom line imo, JVR is easily a top 6 forward in the league for the next 10 years, and that's probably selling him short. Don't get me wrong on TVR, I want him to succeed and have been very happy for him - UNH kid, obviously worked hard to get where he has, etc. - but to me he feels more like a second pairing D at best and much more like a 3rd pairing guy. Yes, he's playing a lot for the Hawks, aka a team hard up against the cap who has to play younger, cheaper guys and hope that the superstars around them keep the play at a high level.

Now, if you had said Pesce, I'd still take JVR but I'd have to think harder about that one.

Finally, yes, there are exceptions in life, but I'm pretty sure NFL teams don't trade first round draft picks to get into the 199th spot in the draft just because Tom Brady was picked there one year.
                            I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                            How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Speaking of TvR:

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bl...t-vs-predators

As per this weekend? I am feeling similar vibes...I think we will improve our play but not holding out for a couple of W's...think we might beat Clarkson...guess we'll find out and chat later! Anxious to see who plays in goal. Clarky gets a chance tonight...and that's the only thing I'm sure of to be honest! Go 'Cats!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                So I guess no one, except Chuck, wants to talk about our chances this weekend. Back in the day there is no doubt I would be a few hours in on my trip to Potsdam. I have to say, once you get there, the twin cities (towns) of Potsdam and Canton are quite enjoyable, but it is a long ride. Once of the few reasons why I think the Wildcats will have a difficult time this weekend. UNH rarely swept up there, even in the powerhouse ECAC days. Clarkson always seemed to be a step ahead and St. Lawrence a step behind. But more than once I recall UNH actually beating Clarkson (with coaches Ceglarkski and York) only to lose the next night to St. Lawrence. So, based on the results of last weekend, where St. Lawrence split at Penn State, Clarkson won on the road at UVM, and our Mildcats spit the bit at home, it really is hard for me to see them winning either game. Starting Clark in goal gives them a better chance to do so, and perhaps inserting upperclass forwards into the lineup will as well, but the hockey was definitely uninspiring. I'll watch for awhile tonight on the live stream and see how it goes.
                                Clark gets the win tonight, and given our history in upstate NY, that means a split for the weekend.
                                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Working...
                                X