Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    A soft goal on the first opposing shot after a UNH goal? Is it Feb. 2 already? How many times will we relive it until Clark gets a real chance?
    Based on the exhibition game Clark should have started last night, the team plays better when he is in net. Factoring in early season, not wanting to erode his confidence explains why DT was not pulled. Stark contrast 200 feet away... Argue was crisp and crafty, repeatedly getting whistles by knocking the goal off the pegs, drawing an interference penalty with an obvious dive.

The UNH freshman looked good. Wyse plays intelligently, Grasso, Blackburn will eventually (?) put the puck in the net, Fregona mixes it up like he is 6' 200 lbs. Cleland looked like a leader, hopefully Maller stays healthy.

Removing the heavily tinted Wildcat blue glasses, what a chit show. 0 for Multiple 5 on 3s, SHG/ENG. The turning point for the entire season may turn out to be the (non) response to giving up a goal with a 11 - 2 SOG advantage. One has to think the upper class men were experiencing deja vu all over again, hopefully not for long.

Please tell me the fire alarm was not a metaphor for the 2016-17 season and please tell SOMEONE that playing AC/DC's Back in Black is unacceptable when having your butts kicked by a team wearing black?
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      Based on the exhibition game Clark should have started last night, the team plays better when he is in net. Factoring in early season, not wanting to erode his confidence explains why DT was not pulled. Stark contrast 200 feet away... Argue was crisp and crafty, repeatedly getting whistles by knocking the goal off the pegs, drawing an interference penalty with an obvious dive.

The UNH freshman looked good. Wyse plays intelligently, Grasso, Blackburn will eventually (?) put the puck in the net, Fregona mixes it up like he is 6' 200 lbs. Cleland looked like a leader, hopefully Maller stays healthy.

Removing the heavily tinted Wildcat blue glasses, what a chit show. 0 for Multiple 5 on 3s, SHG/ENG. The turning point for the entire season may turn out to be the (non) response to giving up a goal with a 11 - 2 SOG advantage. One has to think the upper class men were experiencing deja vu all over again, hopefully not for long.

Please tell me the fire alarm was not a metaphor for the 2016-17 season and please tell SOMEONE that playing AC/DC's Back in Black is unacceptable when having your butts kicked by a team wearing black?
      Funny you mention the music...playing 'Black Betty' as well (hey, just sayin') but I will applaud the intro...I knew they could combine it with the video. Small things mean so much after that game Anyway...agree it seemed like last year all over again and agree the team just plays better when Clarky is in net. We can turn it around...I know it's possible. Like I said...this coming weekend is telling. PS it was most annoying regarding the net coming off...reminded me of NU's Clay Witt. Well, it apparently worked to his advantage. Just to say, tho...it wasn't like he had that tough a night, even given the SOG differential, considering so many of these shots were not exactly good ones. But I will give him credit..he got the job done and played with a lot of poise.
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-09-2016, 12:45 PM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I think that folks here are being way too hard on Tirone. For once, I saw him stand up and not flop for nearly an entire game. His D-men and TyK let him down big time, from what I saw, not to mention probably the most abyssal PP performance I have ever seen. Moreover, those first three penalties called against Bentley in the third were a joke, and when UNH had an opportunity once again for over 1.5 minutes of 5-3 PP in the third, they almost immediately gave it away with a stupid penalty. I was intrigued by Umile's Bellichekian (sp?) move in pulling Tirone with over 3.5 minutes left and down to 4-1, especially when his team had proved that they could not score on the PP the entire night.

Now for Bentley's first four goals, three scored by frosh. On the first, UNH let French dish an excellent feed from behind the net to a wide open Connor Brassord (frosh) inside the circle for a laser shot upper right that Tirone never saw; definitely not a soft goal. Maybe someone supposedly playing in front of Tirone might have covered Brassord, or at least told Tirone to watch out? But, no. Second Bentley goal was, again, because of a total failure to clear the puck in front of the net that allowed French to dish the puck back to Solvyvev (sophomore, Russian; why cannot UNH recruit a Russian?), who flipped it over a completely screened Tirone (three UNH players in disarray in front of their netminder; not a soft goal). Third Bentley goal is already described above, a result of TyK coughing up the puck in front of Tirone giving frosh Dino Balsamo a wide open shot at Tirone (yes, the shot was soft, and maybe Tirone should have had it, but if Balsamo had gotten more wood on it, Tirone, or any other goalie, never would have seen it from that close in. Fourth Bentley goal scored by frosh Jonathan Desbiens was, granted, a soft one, probably because Tirone was focused on French and Schmidt, as he should have been, given that they were two of the top scorers in Div 1 last season, so I cannot blame him much for losing track of Desbiens (where were the UNH D-men on that play? Nowhere. And, BTW, how was Bentley able to out-recruit HEA schools for Desbiens, who led his BCHL team to a championship last year?)

I am not saying that Clark should not get a start in "Way Upstate New York" (I do not know what we call Potsdam and Canton either, HR) next weekend, but I do not think that Clark would have fared much better than Tirone last night, given the same poor play in front of him. I think that Bentley deserves just a wee bit of credit for their win on only their second-ever visit to the Whitt.

Other Notes: Like UNH, Bentley also played without one of their top scorers from last season in Jake Ahlgren. Bentley's goalie Jason Argue had a really fine freshman season, but then got hurt last year and lost his job to senior Gabe Antoni, who we saw at the Whitt last November. I think that Argue made the stops that he needed to make last night, and I agree that many of those shots were easily managed ones into his pads. And, all those UNH shots that flew high and wide of the net reminded of a former UNH forward whose name I will not mention here.

Anyway, I hope that last night's game was a wake up call for UNH, as there may not be many cupcakes in Div 1 much longer as the AHC expands to 18 schollies. At least TyK will not need to know French the rest of this season. And, I really did like seeing the all-frosh UNH third line last night, and especially good see the name VanRiemsdyk on a UNH jersey again.
        Last edited by Snively65; 10-09-2016, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          I think that folks here are being way too hard on Tirone. For once, I saw him stand up and not flop for nearly an entire game. His D-men and TyK let him down big time, from what I saw, not to mention probably the most abyssal PP performance I have ever seen. Moreover, those first three penalties called against Bentley in the third were a joke, and when UNH had an opportunity once again for over 1.5 minutes of 5-3 PP in the third, they almost immediately gave it away with a stupid penalty. I was intrigued by Umile's Bellichekian (sp?) move in pulling Tirone with over 3.5 minutes left and down to 4-1, especially when his team had proved that they could not score on the PP the entire night.

Now for Bentley's first four goals, three scored by frosh. On the first, UNH let French dish an excellent feed from behind the net to a wide open Connor Brassord (frosh) inside the circle for a laser shot upper right that Tirone never saw; definitely not a soft goal. Maybe someone supposedly playing in front of Tirone might have covered Brassord, or at least told Tirone to watch out? But, no. Second Bentley goal was, again, because of a total failure to clear the puck in front of the net that allowed French to dish the puck back to Solvyvev (sophomore, Russian; why cannot UNH recruit a Russian?), who flipped it over a completely screened Tirone (three UNH players in disarray in front of their netminder; not a soft goal). Third Bentley goal is already described above, a result of TyK coughing up the puck in front of Tirone giving frosh Dino Balsamo a wide open shot at Tirone (yes, the shot was soft, and maybe Tirone should have had it, but if Balsamo had gotten more wood on it, Tirone, or any other goalie, never would have seen it from that close in. Fourth Bentley goal scored by frosh Jonathan Desbiens was, granted, a soft one, probably because Tirone was focused on French and Schmidt, as he should have been, given that they were two of the top scorers in Div 1 last season, so I cannot blame him much for losing track of Desbiens (where were the UNH D-men on that play? Nowhere. And, BTW, how was Bentley able to out-recruit HEA schools for Desbiens, who led his BCHL team to a championship last year?)

I am not saying that Clark should not get a start in "Way Upstate New York" (I do not know what we call Potsdam and Canton either, HR) next weekend, but I do not think that Clark would have fared much better than Tirone last night, given the same poor play in front of him. I think that Bentley deserves just a wee bit of credit for their win on only their second-ever visit to the Whitt.

Other Notes: Like UNH, Bentley also played without one of their top scorers from last season in Jake Ahlgren. Bentley's goalie Jason Argue had a really fine freshman season, but then got hurt last year and lost his job to senior Gabe Antoni, who we saw at the Whitt last November. I think that Argue made the stops that he needed to make last night, and I agree that many of those shots were easily managed ones into his pads. And, all those UNH shots that flew high and wide of the net reminded of a former UNH forward whose name I will not mention here.

Anyway, I hope that last night's game was a wake up call for UNH, as there may not be many cupcakes in Div 1 much longer as the AHC expands to 18 schollies. At least TyK will not need to know French the rest of this season. And, I really did like seeing the all-frosh UNH third line last night, and especially good see the name VanRiemsdyk on a UNH jersey again.
          Terrific post, and I agree on almost everything, Snively65. Sometimes I push your buttons a little because of your Bentley ties (takes one to know one ) but I'm glad someone else who watched the game last night saw Tirone getting hung out to dry, and is being scapegoated a little too much for last night's dismal loss. The UNH defense was a mess, and the young forwards pretty much proved why Coach doesn't give them much trust until it is earned. Not to mention ... if you're going to play soft defensively up front, you'd better be scoring goals to warrant that kind of laziness/lack of discipline. But ... one (1) even strength goal in 120 minutes against sub-HE opposition? Shocking.

As an alum, it's nice to see how things are picking up at Bentley, and it's clear their program is on the rise, with designs to someday settle into Hockey East. Whether than happens in my lifetime (if ever?), who knows. But last night still tells me more about just how far UNH has fallen, and not how much Bentley has risen. This could be a LONG season ... and make no mistake, even as a Bentley alum, I'm first and foremost a UNH fan, and last night marked an all-time low for the program in the post-Whittemore era. A half full house for the season opener, getting drubbed by a low-level so-called D-1 program, skating a surplus defenseman as 4th line center because you don't have sufficient bodies, and having the game stopped by an impromptu fire downstairs. And to think, I thought the dumpster fire was taking place ON the ice ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Based on the exhibition game Clark should have started last night, the team plays better when he is in net.
            This.

Unfortunately I don't think there is much Tirone can do about this on his own either. The difference in how the team plays with Clark back there is very noticeable. Not so much in the exhibition but in the games Clark played in last year and in his freshman year. Remember that when Clark played as a freshman the biggest problem the team had was goal scoring. The games were often 3-2 or so final scores, his record was awful (5-13-2 I believe) but the numbers were ok. The Tirone show went on way too long last season in his slump, I really hope it doesn't happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              ... A half full house...
              Respectfully Chuck, were you there last night and if so, can you count? The 50-50 payout was something like $180.

Comment

Some quick thoughts on last night:

1.The better team won last night.
                2.Argue > Tirone
                3.UNH PP awful
                4.UNH has too many munchkin forwards
                5.Umile pulled the fire alarm but it didn't help

The north country trip will not produce any points unless Clark gets one or both starts!
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Clark deserves an equal chance to fail.

Comment

Respectfully Chuck, were you there last night and if so, can you count? The 50-50 payout was something like $180.
                    I was there. They claimed an attendance of 3,160. You're not saying BS35+4 would fudge the numbers, are you?
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      I was there. They claimed an attendance of 3,160. You're not saying BS35+4 would fudge the numbers, are you?
                      Maybe he just can't count. Purchased - through the doors = 1000 plus?

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        Some quick thoughts on last night:

1.The better team won last night.
                        2.Argue > Tirone
                        3.UNH PP awful
                        4.UNH has too many munchkin forwards
                        5.Umile pulled the fire alarm but it didn't help

The north country trip will not produce any points unless Clark gets one or both starts!
                        I like your point 5, e cat, probably an attempt to even things up for Argue kicking his right post of its peg, three times within a couple of minutes, if I counted correctly (I agree with Darius and HR in this observation). But, that is a tough one for the refs to call on a scissor-style goalie.

In contrast, Bentley fans were furious when Tony Quesada from Holy Cross did that with his shoulder (under the cross bar and lift up, so obvious) at least three times to stymie the Falcons to win the AHA tourney championship game at Hart about a decade ago. IIRC, that was the year that the Crusaders went on to the West Regionals in Grand Forks to knock off the Gophers in the first round. Of course, the Crusaders had better than a home crowd behind them with the Nodak fans. The #4 seed Crusaders from the AHA beating the number #1 seed Gophers remains more amazing than #4 seed RIT knocking off #3 UNH in the Albany regionals, I think.

Thanks for the kudos on my previous post, Chuck; that means a lot to me. I am relieved that I will not need to split partisanship the rest of this season. I think that if the Cats can tighten up their D in front of whichever goalie is in net, they should be able get 15 wins this season.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 10-09-2016, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Maybe he just can't count. Purchased - through the doors = 1000 plus?
                          I'm guessing they are counting paid vs. attended, as is pretty much customary. If there were 1000 people there last night, it was by the skin of their teeth.
                          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            I like your point 5, e cat, probably an attempt to even things up for Argue kicking his right post of its peg, three times within a couple of minutes, if I counted correctly (I agree with Darius and HR in this observation). But, that is a tough one for the refs to call on a scissor-style goalie.

In contrast, Bentley fans were furious when Tony Quesada from Holy Cross did that with his shoulder (under the cross bar and lift up, so obvious) at least three times to stymie the Falcons to win the AHA tourney championship game at Hart about a decade ago. IIRC, that was the year that the Crusaders went on to the West Regionals in Grand Forks to knock off the Gophers in the first round. Of course, the Crusaders had better than a home crowd behind them with the Nodak fans. The #4 seed Crusaders from the AHA beating the number #1 seed Gophers remains more amazing than #4 seed RIT knocking off #3 UNH in the Albany regionals, I think.

Thanks for the kudos on my previous post, Chuck; that means a lot to me. I am relieved that I will not need to split partisanship the rest of this season. I think that if the Cats can tighten up their D in front of whichever goalie is in net, they should be able get 15 wins this season.
                            I think as upset as we all got (well, maybe not you, Snively, what with your "Bentley Hockey" hat! ), I actually think that we had a peg issue. The re-drill seemed to fix the problem. Either way, he was solid last night in net, though when we're lobbing less-than-laser wristers from the point and not chasing down the garbage in front, it's not the most difficult of nights.

I'm sticking by my point about DT giving up soft ones last night. I think you and I only disagree on the 1st goal. At a minimum, 2 of the goals were weak, but I'm thinking it was three. Agree with you that the D was of little assistance on any of the 4 he gave up, and he was FULLY screened on the 2nd goal. That stated, a low-80's save percentage (small sample size, I know) ain't gonna get it done in the long run.

Good to meet you last night Snively65, and e.cat as well. Also great to see HR and Aerman in the house.

That was painful, and I'm not bullish on it getting much better. I would love for our underclassmen to get the type of ice time they saw last night on a go-forward basis. I was impressed. It would be great to get them on a rapid development trajectory.

Hey, at least we won the over/under.
                            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                              I think as upset as we all got (well, maybe not you, Snively, what with your "Bentley Hockey" hat! ), I actually think that we had a peg issue. The re-drill seemed to fix the problem. Either way, he was solid last night in net, though when we're lobbing less-than-laser wristers from the point and not chasing down the garbage in front, it's not the most difficult of nights.

I'm sticking by my point about DT giving up soft ones last night. I think you and I only disagree on the 1st goal. At a minimum, 2 of the goals were weak, but I'm thinking it was three. Agree with you that the D was of little assistance on any of the 4 he gave up, and he was FULLY screened on the 2nd goal. That stated, a low-80's save percentage (small sample size, I know) ain't gonna get it done in the long run.

Good to meet you last night Snively65, and e.cat as well. Also great to see HR and Aerman in the house.

That was painful, and I'm not bullish on it getting much better. I would love for our underclassmen to get the type of ice time they saw last night on a go-forward basis. I was impressed. It would be great to get them on a rapid development trajectory.

Hey, at least we won the over/under.
                              Yes, the d was not at all what we need but i agree that at least 2 goals should have been saves. 2 shots and a goal, 4/5 shots and 2 goals. I have seen him stand on his head and impress but last night was not his night.
                              And there was definitely more than 1000 there last night. i would have said 2,220 at least. The student section was the biggest disapointment as they are the only ones who really carry the noise level. All us old fans are just to quiet. Yeah, all of us.

Comment

Four goals against on 20 shots - and as usually, soft goals at the worst times, immediately after UNH goals and against the run of play. This is not an issue of one game, this is an ongoing and consistent problem. At least two of the goals yesterday were charmin soft and I'd lean more toward agreeing with wildcatdc on this issue.

Here's the problem with Tirone - he's too small and simply not positionally sound nor quick enough to make up for it. So you have numerous goals where he is way out of position or where he simply gets beat because he can't fill the net in addition to the softies. It's as if all the coaches notice in practice are the acrobatic saves and aren't paying attention to how many actually go in...

Watch him in warm ups - he is beaten over 50 percent of the time on shot attempts because he is so small and doesn't react well enough to make up for it.

Everyone blamed the D all of last year too - well, even the best defenses make mistakes. Fortunately for them every single mistake they make doesn't end up in the back of the net. I would argue the defense makes a lot of mistakes trying to do to much because they know what happens if they're not at their best all the time...

But, OK, let's blame the defense - doing so only reaffirms the fact that Clark deserves to be the #1. If the defense is going to make mistakes and give up clean looks wouldn't the team be better served by a big goalie who fills the net? Clark will give opponents much less to shoot at, stopping pucks by just getting in front of them and forcing shots high or wide by presenting less of an opening. The defense could make some mistakes and not have to pay every time, resulting in a more confident group.

Tirone's tendency to give up momentum changing goals are only one of the reasons for his struggles.

Umile has said this would be an open competition - and of course he gave Tirone the first chance. He has always gotten the benefit of he doubt. However, Clark deserves to rotate at worst immediately and if it plays out like it did last season when he finally got his chance he should play every night for the foreseeable future. Tirone has done nothing - in games - to have earned a long leash or any more than half the playing time, if that...
                                Last edited by Dan; 10-09-2016, 10:55 PM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X