Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Watched both games and I'm sure TyK took plenty of cheap shots (being the top player he is and was very frustrated; highly unlike him to pull the penalty mins he pulled...but I don't see the game the way the astute fan does so...Personally I don't think we played all that well last night; Maine had plenty of chances, we didn't take care of the puck, but thanks to DT we won it and I'm happy for the team. We certainly can't expect him to carry us against the big guns coming up so I imagine there's plenty of work to be done. Still, and even though the teams aren't top tier, we have swept 2 series, won the 'Mack series with a win and a tie...didn't do that all last year. Scratching my head about the other losses but those are in the rear view. Nice weekend 'Cats!!

Speaking of Matias Cleland, he is one amazing player and replacing him AND TyK is going to be next to impossible in my book. I'm happy both of them are having noteworthy seasons to date...hope it keeps up. Fun to be in second place in HE...for now!! Go 'Cats!
    Yeah TyK takes a lot of shots for sure. I actually watched the Kelleher (non)run on McGovern play and didn't see a penalty! A. He was pushed into McGovern by a Maine player and B. He barely brushed him as he went by him. Maybe I'm blind! One Maine fan said it was one of the cheapest plays he's ever seen. Delusional!
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      Maine fans whining on their thread about the officiating, Kelleher's (non)run at McGovern and such. One fan even going so far as to say "It was unfortunate Michel or someone else couldn't get a good shot on
      Kelleher." Are Maine fans the new SMT'S?

The better team won both games IMHO!
      They are the new smts, it's even worse on facebook page. Unh was the better team both nights.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        ... Speaking of Matias Cleland, he is one amazing player and replacing him AND TyK is going to be next to impossible in my book. I'm happy both of them are having noteworthy seasons to date...hope it keeps up. Fun to be in second place in HE...for now!! Go 'Cats!
        Granted he is our best defender, but on a well recruited defense corp he would be a solid 3 or 4. TK has potential to be a Hobey finalist. He was the best player on the ice by a significant margin this weekend.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          They are the new smts, it's even worse on facebook page. Unh was the better team both nights.

You're a stand up guy Walrus!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Yes, but what took so long. Giving unsold tickets to as many students as were interested has been suggested for years on this forum. And will it continue for future "non-rivalry" games? It should.

Oh, and next time Darius - grab three friends and the bull by the horns and MAKE beat 'em, smash 'em happen! Do it for me! Hahaha...
            Seat neighbors would be horrified.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              Yeah TyK takes a lot of shots for sure. I actually watched the Kelleher (non)run on McGovern play and didn't see a penalty! A. He was pushed into McGovern by a Maine player and B. He barely brushed him as he went by him. Maybe I'm blind! One Maine fan said it was one of the cheapest plays he's ever seen. Delusional!
              you can Zapruder it here, at the 29 second mark. Weird that he loses the top hand glove without contact just as he goes down low.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item...e-by-rival-unh
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                I watched the replay late last night and it was immediately obvious to me (and instantly agreed upon by the Maine color commentator) that Kelleher - after shooting the puck through a screen - did not realize the puck went in. He jabbed at what he thought was a rebound. There was nothing cheap about the play and I'm sure McGovern will be OK after taking a simple poke to the absolute fluffiest part of his right pad...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  Granted he is our best defender, but on a well recruited defense corp he would be a solid 3 or 4. TK has potential to be a Hobey finalist. He was the best player on the ice by a significant margin this weekend.
                  If TyK doesn't get a Hobey nod...even a top 3 finalist, there is NO justice in the world...!! You are right about Cleland...just thinking from our current point of view. (we had a well recruited D corp but that's besides the point...)
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    Actually, we still give to the Charlie Holt Endowment which helps fund a hockey scholarship. We do that solely because of our fond memories of Charlie and the entire Holt family. It's been a long time since he's been coach (30 years), and the end was not very good for him. But Charlie was not only a hockey innovator and well respected by his peers (a member of the US Hockey Hall of Fame), he was also one of the warmest human beings I ever got to meet.

As for the UNH General Fund, perhaps we'll consider in a year or two and start giving again. But given the financial woes UNH has had ever since I was a student (and probably before), it is beyond the pale that the school would use a million dollar unrestricted gift for a freakin' scoreboard. Technically within their rights but educationally? Indefensible.
                    Good for you!

For the record, I disagree with you about the score board. Civil people can still do that while remaining friendly, right? I trust P-Hudd's judgement, don't always agree with his decisions. Driving into Durham on Friday night, seeing the stadium... man is it a show piece. I do completely understand your reasoning though. I used to donate to the unrestricted President's fund until UNH's disappearing WSBE for PTP really annoyed me. WSBE was a respected undergraduate business school that I attended and suddenly it never existed. Goodbye Darius' unrestricted gifts. Hello English department, The Fund for N.H. Students and UNH athletics. I recently walked through PTP school on a weekend, chatted with some CEPS students who were studying in a class room because PTP is close to their frat house. It is a magnificent facility and UNH did right by capping it with a real slate roof. The U is also softening on the WSBE dismissal. "WSBE" is appearing in business school communications. I have a long memory so targeted gifts will continue for this year at minimum. I'd like to think Mr. Morin understood the concept.

BTW, Ham Smith is looking stellar and PCAC is pending:
                    http://tnhdigital.com/8204/news/unh-...s-renovations/
                    http://tnhdigital.com/8189/news/stud...ags-and-posts/

Small steps.

Comment

You're a stand up guy Walrus!
                      ...And...he has the hardware to prove it!!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• The seating map at Alfond was a bit misleading as I ended up with seats directly behind the UNH bench so I couldn't see a lot of the game. I thought I was further into the corner, but oh well, lesson learned. Anyway it was a pretty sloppy win but a win so I can't complain too much. I think a lot of our problems in the third were a factor of mixed up defensive pairings as Dylan Maller hurt his left leg on the first shift of the third and never saw the ice again except to serve TK's minor at the end.
                        Last edited by deltabravo62; 12-04-2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          you can Zapruder it here, at the 29 second mark. Weird that he loses the top hand glove without contact just as he goes down low.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item...e-by-rival-unh
                          Haha. Conspiracy theories galore; )
                          Thanks for the hard evidence!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            I watched the replay late last night and it was immediately obvious to me (and instantly agreed upon by the Maine color commentator) that Kelleher - after shooting the puck through a screen - did not realize the puck went in. He jabbed at what he thought was a rebound. There was nothing cheap about the play and I'm sure McGovern will be OK after taking a simple poke to the absolute fluffiest part of his right pad...
                            Yeah agreed. What gets lost in this also is that the goal was sweet by a very crafty TyK going five hole on Hamilton and five hole on McGovern!
                            Last edited by e.cat; 12-04-2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Haha. Conspiracy theories galore; )
                              Thanks for the hard evidence!
                              The game was rigged...HA! (sorry...couldn't help myself as usual )
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Winning is fun ... and our friend Walrus seems to see things pretty much as they are ... but I'm not getting too excited yet.

These are two bad teams. We have a couple kids that will finish occasionally, Maine seems to have none. Tirone made some excellent saves, more than usual over the weekend. But he did not look good (to me). There were a LOT of open chances, especially last night. Maine couldn't bury anything.

So I will smile all week - it was UMO after all - and I will be hopeful for the next game up, but I'm not drinking any kook-aid just yet.
                                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X