Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Um could we maybe clear the zone?!? That is all.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

And UNH completes the sweep! TyK all universe TyRone all world! Haha
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        Nice win tonight. TyK's last goal was a beaut. Nice job hanging on in last few minutes to eke out the sweep. 5-1-1 in HEA, I believe. Haven't faced all the top teams, but I'm not complaining!

Good way to end the day after the brutal shellacking in Harrisonburg!
        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

That is two years in a row that Ty Rone has performed like Ty Conklin at the Bears' Den. My Maine friends were besides themselves on my visit for last year's game in Orono. I will need to send them a very gentle email this coming week, after giving them some time to grieve.

Comment

Biiiiggggg night for DT!! TyK 6pt weekend!! Love it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              "Beyond the pale" ... and "indefensible"? And I thought I was the one who went overboard with the rhetoric.

So ... just for spits and giggles, playing devil's advocate here ... if it's really SO off the grid to allocate a big donation to go to a new scoreboard when a university's primary mission is education ...

... where was the hue and cry of outrage and anguish about misplaced priorities two summers ago when Walt Borisenok decided to gift the school a very expensive new scoreboard at The Whitt?

Yes, Walt chose to earmark his gift for a scoreboard. Understood, I get it. But why wasn't HE lectured about how "beyond the pale" he was being for "indefensibly" not donating his money to a more educationally-focused purpose? Didn't he know the University System could have used his dough to create dozens of new safe spaces around campus for our gentle snowflake community?? Or did we stow our indignation *maybe* just because it went into our 20 yr. old arena with its '70's low tech boards???

The "football-mad" librarian knew he had $4MM to give away, earmarked less than 10% for the library, and chose - yes, chose - to leave the rest up to the powers that be at UNH. After all, it was his choice to do this. "When you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" - right, 'Watcher?

I've conceded it was a curious, even questionable call, and it was made more clumsy by trying to create the misguided fairy tale/cover story about how the (undoubtedly) generous librarian had become a rabid football fan in his final days. If Walt Borisenok hadn't surfaced with his donation a year earlier ... who's to say the powers that be at UNH wouldn't have created that same fable about the (undoubtedly) generous librarian going native about hockey to support buying the long-awaited arena scoreboard(s) and other upgrades?

And would we still be using terms like "beyond the pale" or "indefensible"? With all due respect, I kinda doubt it.

Go 'Cats - Sweep UMaine.
              Walt is a great guy, a very successful entrepreneur, focused at the task at hand. And he happened to,have a son who captained UNH Hockey in his senior year. He was approached about making a donation to make the Jumbotron a reality and, weighing the pros and cons, he decided to come through.. To equate him with a person whose description is almost hermit like, a person whose passion in life was helping others in their quest for knowledge is, frankly, a disrespect to both of them. Chuck we both know how poorly UNH is viewed and supported by the state. How well does the University's pleas for money go over with those in Concord who get to decide when they see an unrestricted gift from a research librarian, who spent his entire career at the Dimond Library, used for a football scoreboard? You tell me. Defend the optics of that decision.
              Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 12-04-2016, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                That is two years in a row that Ty Rone has performed like Ty Conklin at the Bears' Den. My Maine friends were besides themselves on my visit for last year's game in Orono. I will need to send them a very gentle email this coming week, after giving them some time to grieve.
                Tyler Kelleher is not Ty Conklin. Never was, never will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  Tyler Kelleher is not Ty Conklin. Never was, never will be.
                  I was comparing Tirone (Ty Rone), not Tyler Kelleher (which would make no sense) with Ty Conklin, but I was also kidding, just trying to lighten up this thread.

I think that UNH, as well education in general throughout NH, is more screwed than ever after the elections last month, and I agree that the university's decision to spend $1 mil of the librarian's unrestricted gift for a scoreboard was incredibly stupid in the message that it sent to Concord.

But, back to hockey. Cleland now 2nd in points for all D-men in Div 1, and 3rd in points per game; nice senior season that he is putting together, thanks in large part to continued success with UNH PP.

Comment

Not sure what all the whining is about in this thread, UNH looks pretty good to me(maybe my thoughts about whats good or bad has been ruined by watching Maine ). Tirone is odd looking style wise, very aggressive, flops some but he gets in the way of the puck.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                      Nice win tonight. TyK's last goal was a beaut. Nice job hanging on in last few minutes to eke out the sweep. 5-1-1 in HEA, I believe. Haven't faced all the top teams, but I'm not complaining!

Good way to end the day after the brutal shellacking in Harrisonburg!
                      Yeah we kinda knew JMU was going to be a tough one didn't we? Even still UNH had a decent season!

I'm beginning to wonder if the hockey team is better than we all thought they were going to be. We all focus on UNH so much and forget that other teams have their own set of challenges. I know we haven't faced the iron of the league yet, although we played BC pretty well in their barn as I recall despite losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Not sure what all the whining is about in this thread, UNH looks pretty good to me(maybe my thoughts about whats good or bad has been ruined by watching Maine ). Tirone is odd looking style wise, very aggressive, flops some but he gets in the way of the puck.
                        UHN has lost to Bentley, Colorado College, and Arizona State, and were lucky to tie Sacred Heart, hence a lot of whining. We can out-whine any fan base in Div 1. :-)

You have certainly seen Tirone in two of his luckiest career wins at Alfond. I did not see last night's game, but I was in Orono for last year's, when my two Maine friends could not believe how much time Tirone spent sprawled on the ice, leaving dozens of rebounds (well maybe only a couple dozen) and a wide open net again and again and again. Maine should have won that game by 10 goals or more. Good teams can and will capitalize on that style of goal-tending.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          UHN has lost to Bentley, Colorado College, and Arizona State, and were lucky to tie Sacred Heart, hence a lot of whining. We can out-whine any fan base in Div 1. :-)

You have certainly seen Tirone in two of his luckiest career wins at Alfond. I did not see last night's game, but I was in Orono for last year's, when my two Maine friends could not believe how much time Tirone spent sprawled on the ice, leaving dozens of rebounds (well maybe only a couple dozen) and a wide open net again and again and again. Maine should have won that game by 10 goals or more. Good teams can and will capitalize on that style of goal-tending.
                          I thought if maine had any goal scorers in the 3rd they would have lit him up as he was on the ice quite a bit. His style isn't one a goalie coach would teach..
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            I thought if maine had any goal scorers in the 3rd they would have lit him up as he was on the ice quite a bit. His style isn't one a goalie coach would teach..
                            UNH has been on other end of games getting stoned by a hot goalie this year. I'm thinking the Bentley and AZFU games where UNH outshot them both by sizeable amounts. This can be very frustrating for sure but that's hockey!

Comment

Maine fans whining on their thread about the officiating, Kelleher's (non)run at McGovern and such. One fan even going so far as to say "It was unfortunate Michel or someone else couldn't get a good shot on
                              Kelleher." Are Maine fans the new SMT'S?

The better team won both games IMHO!
                              Last edited by e.cat; 12-04-2016, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                                Maine fans whining on their thread about the officiating, Kelleher's run at McGovern and such. One fan even going so far as to say "It was unfortunate Michel or someone else couldn't get a good shot on
                                Kelleher." Are Maine fans the new SMT'S?

The better team won both games IMHO!
                                Watched both games and I'm sure TyK took plenty of cheap shots (being the top player he is and was very frustrated; highly unlike him to pull the penalty mins he pulled...but I don't see the game the way the astute fan does so...Personally I don't think we played all that well last night; Maine had plenty of chances, we didn't take care of the puck, but thanks to DT we won it and I'm happy for the team. We certainly can't expect him to carry us against the big guns coming up so I imagine there's plenty of work to be done. Still, and even though the teams aren't top tier, we have swept 2 series, won the 'Mack series with a win and a tie...didn't do that all last year. Scratching my head about the other losses but those are in the rear view. Nice weekend 'Cats!!

Speaking of Matias Cleland, he is one amazing player and replacing him AND TyK is going to be next to impossible in my book. I'm happy both of them are having noteworthy seasons to date...hope it keeps up. Fun to be in second place in HE...for now!! Go 'Cats!

Comment

Working...
                                X