Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    Chuck, I've found you to be a smart guy, quite knowledgeable about sports history, but you are dead wrong on this one. Let me explain...
    This is where I said this is going to be good.

You're right - not complicated.
    This is where I said, no, you're right, not complicated at all, just a concise 3 or 4 hundred words including a numbered list was all it took.

Until 1973, the NCAA was split into two divisions... University, and College. In 1973, the numerical system was introduced. University division teams went to Division 1. College division teams went to Division 2 if they wanted to offer scholarships, or wanted to play teams that did. Division 3 was reserved for College division members who did NOT want to offer scholarships.

In 1978, Division 1 was then further split into Division 1-A (now FBS), and Division 1-AA (now FCS). (There was actually a "Division 1" as well for D-1 teams that did not play football.)

So no, Division 2 did not become Division 1-AA or FCS. Period.

I will challenge you to answer following questions honestly:

1. If you call ESPN and ask them to guide you to the NCAA Division 2 football championship game, to where will the direct you?

2. Google NCAA Diviaion 2 Football Playoffs and find UNH. Did you find it?

3. Check the USA Today football rankings (in paper or online) and see if UNH appears as a Division 2 team.

4. Go to the NCAA website and search for NCAA Division 2 member schools. Find us?

We both know the answers to these questions. We also know that you are using the D2 jab to poke at Marty and the athletic department.

Is UNH at the second level of college football? Indubitably. Are they in Division 2. Nope.

If you want to keep up the jabbing, go for it. I think the more mature route would be to appreciate the success they are having in the FCS. At least the above facts should clear things up for the crew here (as if it wasn't clear before).
    This is where I laughed, out loud, until I realized he was serious, then I just felt uncomfortable for making someone feel so bad that they responded with that level of lunacy. (Just kidding, I actually just started to think maybe butt hurt is too mild and doesn't begin to describe whatever it is that's going on here.)
    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
      This is where I said this is going to be good.

This is where I said, no, you're right, not complicated at all, just a concise 3 or 4 hundred words including a numbered list was all it took.

This is where I laughed, out loud, until I realized he was serious, then I just felt uncomfortable for making someone feel so bad that they responded with that level of lunacy. (Just kidding, I actually just started to think maybe butt hurt is too mild and doesn't begin to describe whatever it is that's going on here.)
      Aww, it's Chuck's lil' sock puppet with another zero-value-added post!! Any facts you'd like to share to dispute the above, EJ Murray? Didn't think so.
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Aww, it's Chuck's lil' sock puppet with another zero-value-added post!! Any facts you'd like to share to dispute the above, EJ Murray? Didn't think so.
        Chuck, SockpUpPEt 1 checking in, do I have permission to keep tormenting him, he seems a little unhinged already so I thought I'd better check in with you to get the green light.

(No rush, I know Wednesday is Date Night at the WIS estate so no need to cut the festivities short I can wait until you wrap things up. How's 7:15 sound?)(I was going to say sometime before MS brings in a recruit would be fine but none of us have that kind of time.)
        I went home with a waitress the way I always do
        How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
          Chuck, SockpUpPEt 1 checking in, do I have permission to keep tormenting him, he seems a little unhinged already so I thought I'd better check in with you to get the green light.

(No rush, I know Wednesday is Date Night at the WIS estate so no need to cut the festivities short I can wait until you wrap things up. How's 7:15 sound?)(I was going to say sometime before MS brings in a recruit would be fine but none of us have that kind of time.)
          And another! Adjust your meds, Chuckie. You're fighting a losing battle.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
            Chuck, I've found you to be a smart guy, quite knowledgeable about sports history, but you are dead wrong on this one. Let me explain...

Until 1973, the NCAA was split into two divisions... University, and College. In 1973, the numerical system was introduced. University division teams went to Division 1. College division teams went to Division 2 if they wanted to offer scholarships, or wanted to play teams that did. Division 3 was reserved for College division members who did NOT want to offer scholarships.

In 1978, Division 1 was then further split into Division 1-A (now FBS), and Division 1-AA (now FCS). (There was actually a "Division 1" as well for D-1 teams that did not play football.)

So no, Division 2 did not become Division 1-AA or FCS. Period.

I will challenge you to answer following questions honestly:

1. If you call ESPN and ask them to guide you to the NCAA Division 2 football championship game, to where will the direct you?

2. Google NCAA Diviaion 2 Football Playoffs and find UNH. Did you find it?

3. Check the USA Today football rankings (in paper or online) and see if UNH appears as a Division 2 team.

4. Go to the NCAA website and search for NCAA Division 2 member schools. Find us?

We both know the answers to these questions. We also know that you are using the D2 jab to poke at Marty and the athletic department.

Is UNH at the second level of college football? Indubitably. Are they in Division 2. Nope.

If you want to keep up the jabbing, go for it. I think the more mature route would be to appreciate the success they are having in the FCS. At least the above facts should clear things up for the crew here (as if it wasn't clear before).

You're right - not complicated.
            Thanks for doing all that research dc. I was about to tell Chuck to Shut the Front Door but......you know....eh....he doesn't listen!

Can he take his butt plug out now though?
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Sooooooooo.....anyone wanna chat about the Maine series? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Sooooooooo.....anyone wanna chat about the Maine series? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
                No. Haha
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  No. Haha
                  C'mon' e.cat...thought you were here to help??? Kind of makes me think tho...if we hadn't gone to the WOTW game in '13 I never would've started this most ardent voyage of following the 'Cats, it's fate I tell ya, fate! And as I recall they lost that game 4-3 (believe they came from behind) and here is a "celly gone bad" moment in that game for our Big K...(not trying to embarrass him but I do remember this!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-lrJ15kK90

Here's Big K doing what he did best for the 'Cats tho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgU6NRhsa_0
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I'm in, HR! Will be viewing these from home, though.

Comment

I'm in, HR! Will be viewing these from home, though.
                      WOW what a game this must've been...complete with Nyquist and other great UNH/Maine players! Not to mention a rockin' Whitt hasn't been that way prob since...and, that wasn't a great season for UNH, if I have that right. Check this out...just wild! Go 'Cats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t10y1zM9br4
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

WOW what a game this must've been...complete with Nyquist and other great UNH/Maine players! Not to mention a rockin' Whitt hasn't been that way prob since...and, that wasn't a great season for UNH, if I have that right. Check this out...just wild! Go 'Cats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t10y1zM9br4
                        I remember this weekend well. NESN had both games in Durham that weekend, which was great, because I was stuck in DC. Nyquist was on fire - had a hat trick the night before but we win 6-3. That last minute sequence was nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Sometimes I wonder what planet I'm living on these days ... really I do.

Too many times, too many of us seem determined to be offended by something/anything.

I love this place, really like all you folks (yeah, even when we disagree) ... can we please leave the social justice warrior starter kits for the gentle snowflakes among us, and just speak freely like adults once in awhile? The "I'm offended by ___ - gotcha" bullcrap gets tiring after awhile, it really does.

I read chickod's comments and bypassed it as just an observation. After seeing the reaction, I asked my two daughters (recent UNH grads) to read his post, and neither was offended. I didn't think they would be. Enough already, please.
                          amen brother..............and i don't know chickod but as a BC fan i read a lot of his posts on the BU thread and he's a good guy.

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post

Permission to proceed granted, EJ. Festivities finally winding down, pretty wild earlier though.

'dc, admit it - you went looking for this one. I've never been one of those gullible guys who falls for these silly "re-branding" schemes. If that stuff appeals to you, more power to ya. But if you think there's a lick of a difference between "College" or the old D-2 or D-1AA or FCS or EIEIO, I have some deeded wetlands to sell you on the back 40 of the WIS Estate. I'll even give you a discount.

Oh, and for the record, I have no issue with UNH Football. Don't forget - I'm the one who made the shocking statement not that long ago that Football has overtaken Hockey as the flagship sports program at UNH. Have I poked fun at our (self-)esteemed AD for playing up silly basic crap like installing lights, etc.? Sure, guilty as charged. Do I wish Coach Umile was still attacking his job as passionately at this stage of his career as Coach MacDonnell is (as in, someone clearly still trying to win something important)? You bet. I may be disappointed that Hockey has fallen as far as it has, but this is not a zero sum game. Make no mistake, I'm rooting for the Football 'Cats to win it all.

Well, at least if "win it all" means in a second division kinda way I suppose ...
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

'dc, admit it - you went looking for this one. I've never been one of those gullible guys who falls for these silly "re-branding" schemes. If that stuff appeals to you, more power to ya. But if you think there's a lick of a difference between "College" or the old D-2 or D-1AA or FCS or EIEIO, I have some deeded wetlands to sell you on the back 40 of the WIS Estate. I'll even give you a discount. [/SIZE]

Nope, Chuck, definitely didn't go looking for this one. Again, I have to bring facts to the table - in four straight installments of your weekly diatribe against Marty, you referred to the football team as a D2 team. You knew that was a hot button, and you knew what you were doing. In two of those missives, you also took childish shots (again) at Cyd Scarano, Marty's wife and the coach of the PHS girl's soccer program. (Is the Seacoast area not big enough for TWO good girl's soccer coaches?? What gives??). You were instigating in that ol' Chuckster way (and now lil' Chuckie too, but he's the little more direct alter ego), and I responded with that link. Call and response. Period.

Look, Chuck, I respect you - you have a long history with the program, and that's awesome. You're a great link back to the Snively days, and up through the glory days, to where we are now.

But you have to understand, that as a person with a great deal of passion for my alma mater, a place where I continue to participate in many ways, I'm going to call you out when your rhetoric and self-created narratives don't match the facts. in some ways I admire your ability to stare facts in the face and deny them (I didn't expect you to emulate a recent presidential candidate so closely &#128516. But, as I have over the years, and will continue to do, I will provide a counterpoint.

Your hatred for Marty is palpable. We all get that. I too have had numerous problems with the department. The Coach M botched announcement, the Morin PR debacle, the fact that they flubbed on BOTH my football AND hockey season tix this year, the disaster that was the priority parking for the season opener at the new stadium (which I took up directly with Marty that day, as did others - it was fixed the next week). But that doesn't negate the fact that UNH has had a rising tide in Athletics during his tenure, even if OUR favorite sport has hit the skids (some blame to him, no doubt!), hopefully temporarily.

I'm done with this type of discussion. It's really not fair to the others here who are looking to talk hockey. This board has always been a nice distraction from the insanity of daily life for me. I hope it returns to that and that disagreements are less childish and more about debating the facts. That's not for me to control - it's just my sincere hope!

Happy December, folks. Drop the freakin puck.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                                amen brother..............and i don't know chickod but as a BC fan i read a lot of his posts on the BU thread and he's a good guy.
                                Would you and chickod please simply go away?

Comment

Working...
                                X