Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    The only things Mark Mowers and Tyler Kelleher have in common are that they both were born in the USA, they both played for UNH, and they are both forwards. Tyler Kelleher wishes in his dreams that he was anywhere near as good as Mark Mowers. Tyler Kelleher's deficiencies were on full display Saturday night. He's the type of player who thinks that every pass is intended for him and, conversely, that there is no reason to pass to others. On the 1997 team he would have been a third line energy forward.
    Based on the two games that I have seen at the Whitt, I do not agree with this take on TyK. He has 3 goals and 2 assists in four games for a 1.25 PPG average. But, his assists could be a lot more if his two line mates could get themselves in the open when TyK is drawing the attention of two and sometimes three defenders. But Nazarian and Salvaggio have constantly been out of position throughout the two games that I have seen. I am not saying that TyK is on the level of Mark Mowers, and I agree that he would be a third or fourth liner on those teams from 1998 to 2003, as would have been nearly all of our forwards from the past decade.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Mark Mowers: Height 5.11 -- Weight 188.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
        Mark Mowers: Height 5.11 -- Weight 188.
        Thanks, will make note of the particulars! For the record, I never said Tyk was Mark Mowers...geesh

ps
        Think he (TyK) will make the video one day??
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-25-2016, 09:49 AM.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Based on the two games that I have seen at the Whitt, I do not agree with this take on TyK. . . . I am not saying that TyK is on the level of Mark Mowers, and I agree that he would be a third or fourth liner on those teams from 1998 to 2003, as would have been nearly all of our forwards from the past decade.
          So which is it?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Thanks, will make note of the particulars! For the record, I never said Tyk was Mark Mowers...geesh

ps
            Think he (TyK) will make the video one day??
            "You mention the great ones in your post; Mark Mowers, etc. There IS a great one on the ice, right now, and that's Tyler Kelleher."

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
              I posted this earlier and deleted it because the real blame here belongs with the two guys who have been here the longest and make the most money but I really sense the succession team isn't going to be up to the task and it's adding insult to injury to think we're going to have to spend the next 5 years proving what many of us suspect right now. I guess we'll have to wait until October of 2021 to know if that's correct but I can't help thinking we're only just getting started on wasting 5 years to get right back to where we are now.
              I want us to be completely proven wrong on this too ... but this is pretty much where I'm at.

It might go a long way towards steadying the ship and brightening the long-term outlook if Souza and/or Stewart could land even 1-2 top-shelf prospects. Or latch onto a kid or two who move on from top programs that have "Cedorchucked". Or just land someone any of our recruiting gurus might recognize without having to Google them. But as 'watcher pointed out on the (purported) recruiting thread, the silence from the recruiting side has been deafening.

I think there's a pretty decent batch of talent on board right now in the forward positions, now that some of the weaker classes of the Borek regime have worked their way through. But if you don't start to supplement that quickly, then you're going to have another year or two of a gap right behind the Grasso/Blackburn et als class, and we'll be having this discussion all over again.

And that's not even mentioning the alarming lack of incoming talent on the blue line. And to think, only 3 seasons ago, UNH put out the likes of TvR/Knoedel, Pesce/Hardowa and Cleland/Maller (I think I'm missing someone? ). In 4+ months that's all going to be gone, and with all due respect to the guys who are on the blue line now ... let's just say the drop-off in this area has been alarming, and signs of a change of course are thin on the ground.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                I want us to be completely proven wrong on this too ... but this is pretty much where I'm at.

It might go a long way towards steadying the ship and brightening the long-term outlook if Souza and/or Stewart could land even 1-2 top-shelf prospects. Or latch onto a kid or two who move on from top programs that have "Cedorchucked". Or just land someone any of our recruiting gurus might recognize without having to Google them. But as 'watcher pointed out on the (purported) recruiting thread, the silence from the recruiting side has been deafening.

I think there's a pretty decent batch of talent on board right now in the forward positions, now that some of the weaker classes of the Borek regime have worked their way through. But if you don't start to supplement that quickly, then you're going to have another year or two of a gap right behind the Grasso/Blackburn et als class, and we'll be having this discussion all over again.

And that's not even mentioning the alarming lack of incoming talent on the blue line. And to think, only 3 seasons ago, UNH put out the likes of TvR/Knoedel, Pesce/Hardowa and Cleland/Maller (I think I'm missing someone? ). In 4+ months that's all going to be gone, and with all due respect to the guys who are on the blue line now ... let's just say the drop-off in this area has been alarming, and signs of a change of course are thin on the ground.
                Kessel?
                I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  So which is it?
                  Best player on the ice this year, but agreed, not a "great one" in UNH hockey history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

If not Kessel, Agosta?

Comment

3 seasons ago it was Agosta, Hardowa was 4 seasons ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Best player on the ice this year, but agreed, not a "great one" in UNH hockey history.
                        How's 'bout 'recent UNH Hockey History". Sorry ...didn't mean to tread on the past. Unfortunately, all we got is now. And like it or not, he is a great player. No he wouldn't be on a top line of a UNH team back in the Mowers, Souza day, and nope he didn't crack the Goumas, Sorkin, Willows line either. but dang if that matters a whole hell of a lot now. But if you want to go into just say, last year, I do believe he led the nation in assists (oh please save the second half of the season stats...I mean, we can't even appreciate players when they ARE successful in the least little bit...) Wait til next season...if we thought this year wasn't going well enough. That's all I want to say about it. I promise to not support the team anymore than I have to. It's not a good thing to do on a 'fan forum'. I need to keep reminding myself of that.... I'm surprised there's no support here for him, but maybe I shouldn't be.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

"UNH Captain's Corner: St. Lawrence, Clarkson & Colorado College"
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

How's 'bout 'recent UNH Hockey History". Sorry ...didn't mean to tread on the past. Unfortunately, all we got is now. And like it or not, he is a great player. No he wouldn't be on a top line of a UNH team back in the Mowers, Souza day, and nope he didn't crack the Goumas, Sorkin, Willows line either. but dang if that matters a whole hell of a lot now. But if you want to go into just say, last year, I do believe he led the nation in assists (oh please save the second half of the season stats...I mean, we can't even appreciate players when they ARE successful in the least little bit...) Wait til next season...if we thought this year wasn't going well enough. That's all I want to say about it. I promise to not support the team anymore than I have to. It's not a good thing to do on a 'fan forum'. I need to keep reminding myself of that.... I'm surprised there's no support here for him, but maybe I shouldn't be.
                            I wrote that I thought TyK is the best player on the ice this year, just not great. But, assists will be hard for him to get this year, unless Nazarian and Salvaggio can figure out a way to get open, as his line mates did last season.

Need to get thread focused back on SOG.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              I wrote that I thought TyK is the best player on the ice this year, just not great. But, assists will be hard for him to get this year, unless Nazarian and Salvaggio can figure out a way to get open, as his line mates did last season.
                              He's at least Saviano, closer to collins.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

I promise to not support the team anymore than I have to. It's not a good thing to do on a 'fan forum'. I need to keep reminding myself of that....
                                "The negativity in this town sucks...." - Rick Pitino

Yes, how dare you actually be "realistic." Don't you know that people only want to hear POSITIVE things? I have been accused of being "negative" my entire life because I don't look at the world through rose colored (or in this case, blue colored) face masks. People would rather live in a fantasy world than discuss reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X