North Dakota '16 - '17 Season Thread - Let's Do It Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: North Dakota '16 - '17 Season Thread - Let's Do It Again

I don't see a thread for this weekends series and I'm not about to make one so I'll just post this here.
    You guys suck!
    I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
      I don't see a thread for this weekends series and I'm not about to make one so I'll just post this here.
      You guys suck!
      Yep.
      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
        You guys suck!
        Pretty much
        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Question about North Dakota roster: There are just two seniors on the the team and yet College Hockey Inc shows 12 in the recruit class including a transfer. I realize Boesser could depart, but there'd have to be a major exodus to have room for so many freshmen. Explanation?
          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
            Question about North Dakota roster: There are just two seniors on the the team and yet College Hockey Inc shows 12 in the recruit class including a transfer. I realize Boesser could depart, but there'd have to be a major exodus to have room for so many freshmen. Explanation?
            I would guess the explanation is a combination of things. College Hockey Inc., might be off on when a couple of players are coming in. For instance, I'm pretty sure no one expects to see Senden come in next year, and the same might be said about Mattson.

North Dakota is already one forward short due to Nick Schmaltz' late departure last fall. Everyone expects Boeser to sign, and all signs point to Tyson Jost leaving after this year as well, especially if the Avalanche go forward with trading some of their current forwards. So, at a minimum, that's three forwards to replace.

Ausmus will graduate, and most seem to think Tucker Poolman will sign after his junior year. Danys Chartrand is a defenseman, who as a sophomore has yet to see the ice, so most seem to think that UND will want to bring it at least three D next season.

Hrynkiw, in goal, is a senior.

The College Hockey Inc., site has four D listed as coming in next year: Rieger, Kierstad, Evers and Bast. Bast has basically not played for the last two years because of injury. I'm not even sure if he's still at Penticton, so I don't know that anyone is counting on him to be on campus. The other three will likely be there, although there has been speculation around the UND message boards that Evers arrival is questionable as well. The recent announcement that Rieger has committed and will come in next fall suggests to some of us that Bast and/or Evers may not ever make it.

At forward, Nick Jones will be in, as will Mismash. I expect to see Colin Adams and Kawaguchi.

That would put UND at 16 forwards. I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches think there is also the possibility that someone like Poganski (a junior) or Shane Gersich (having a real nice goal scoring year) bolts early, too. That opens up spots for guys like Keane or Mattson.

Now, if Jost, Boeser, Poolman, Gersich and Poganski all decide to come back, we're going to need a bigger bus.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Wondering what it will take to make the tournament? Jim Dahl's PWR forecast. Looks like the boys need 5 wins.

http://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                Wondering what it will take to make the tournament? Jim Dahl's PWR forecast. Looks like the boys need 5 wins.

You are reading that wrong. Five wins will leave North Dakota inside the tournament bubble at the end of the regular season. However, everyone, including North Dakota, will still have games to play in the various conference tournaments. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I believe they need a minimum of 21 total wins to make the tournament as an at large team, with 22 wins probably putting them in comfortably. That is 7-8 more wins before selection Sunday.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  I would guess the explanation is a combination of things. College Hockey Inc., might be off on when a couple of players are coming in. For instance, I'm pretty sure no one expects to see Senden come in next year, and the same might be said about Mattson.

North Dakota is already one forward short due to Nick Schmaltz' late departure last fall. Everyone expects Boeser to sign, and all signs point to Tyson Jost leaving after this year as well, especially if the Avalanche go forward with trading some of their current forwards. So, at a minimum, that's three forwards to replace.

Ausmus will graduate, and most seem to think Tucker Poolman will sign after his junior year. Danys Chartrand is a defenseman, who as a sophomore has yet to see the ice, so most seem to think that UND will want to bring it at least three D next season.

Hrynkiw, in goal, is a senior.

The College Hockey Inc., site has four D listed as coming in next year: Rieger, Kierstad, Evers and Bast. Bast has basically not played for the last two years because of injury. I'm not even sure if he's still at Penticton, so I don't know that anyone is counting on him to be on campus. The other three will likely be there, although there has been speculation around the UND message boards that Evers arrival is questionable as well. The recent announcement that Rieger has committed and will come in next fall suggests to some of us that Bast and/or Evers may not ever make it.

At forward, Nick Jones will be in, as will Mismash. I expect to see Colin Adams and Kawaguchi.

That would put UND at 16 forwards. I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches think there is also the possibility that someone like Poganski (a junior) or Shane Gersich (having a real nice goal scoring year) bolts early, too. That opens up spots for guys like Keane or Mattson.

Now, if Jost, Boeser, Poolman, Gersich and Poganski all decide to come back, we're going to need a bigger bus.
                  Don't be so sure about Jost leaving. I've heard from a very reliable source that he loves playing at UND and is currently leaning towards coming back next year. Also, seems as though he would be a great candidate to wear the C as a sophomore. Now obviously anything can happen but I think there's a better chance that Jost comes back.

Comment

Here's Jim Dahl's latest Pairwise forecast. I could see UND winning anywhere from 2 to 4 games in their remaining 6 regular season games.

Comment

Bump! Come on former Sioux people. It's been 11 days since someone has posted.
                      Go Pioneers!

Comment

The season isn't over? My bad.

Comment

@chranked: More fun with PWR volatility - a win for UND in either its loss to Minnesota or Michigan State would have them at #7 instead of #14
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Speaking of Pairwise.....

No omaha the season isn't over but it is teetering on the brink. Win at least three of four remaining regular season games and there is a shot. But there is very little Pairwise upside in beating UNO and Miami, only dropping like a rock with losses. So it might come down to winning 3 of 4 and their first round NCHC playoff series. And maybe another game after that. Of course there is the autobid and we all know how great they have done at the Target Center.

Comment

More Pairwise stuff. CHN gives the boys a 34% chance of making the tournament as an at-large team and 5% as the NCHC AQ.
                              http://www.collegehockeynews.com/rat...lityMatrix.php

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                                More Pairwise stuff. CHN gives the boys a 34% chance of making the tournament as an at-large team and 5% as the NCHC AQ.
                                http://www.collegehockeynews.com/rat...lityMatrix.php
                                On first glance, that seems pretty low. However, when looking at Dahl's numbers, UND needs to win out to finish the regular season safely above the bubble (i.e. #8-11). If they only win 2 of 3, then they likely are right on the bubble (i.e. #12-15).

I do think the 5% chance to win the NCHC AQ is really low. While the Sioux certainly aren't favorites to win the AQ, I would put a good chunk of money on North Dakota to win it at 20-1. I think a 10-15% chance is probably realistic.

Given that, I would put North Dakota's odds at making the tournament right around 50/50.

My guess as to what it will take for UND to make the NCAA Tournament, short of the AQ:
                                - Win 2 out of 3 in the regular season;
                                - Win First Round NCHC series;
                                - Win 1 out of 2 at the Frozen Faceoff.

That would put UND at 21-15-3 (or 21-16-3 if the First Round series goes 3 games). Given North Dakota's SOS, 21 wins should be enough for a low-3, high-4 seed.

A win tonight and getting some help would go a long way. Almost every result went against North Dakota last night...minus Lowell and DU winning.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X