X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
    I was looking at how high on the all-time scoring list ZAR could realistically end up. It obviously depends how far they go in the HE tournament, but say they lose in the quarters and play some combination of 5 playoff games in the 2 rounds, he'd have 7 games left. At his current points per game pace that'd give him 12 more points and 153 for his career, which would put him 10th all time. Cracking the top ten would be pretty special, considering everyone else in the top 10 graduated over 20 years ago.
    True. Also pretty special when you consider that the first two years he was here, he was not even a top 3 featured player in his own class, with Szmatula, Stevens and Hedges all getting more opportunities on top lines and power play. He wasn't even supposed to arrive on campus until the next year, but was accelerated when Karlsson unexpectedly left late in the process (if my memory is correct).

Comment

Originally posted by beanstalk View Post
      Good luck. Just one bit of advice - don't get so bogged down in the stats that you lose sight of ZAR's other contributions. If you look at it as only a statistical race, then you're tacitly supporting an argument that somebody else should win if their stats near the voting deadline slightly exceed ZAR's. ZAR is a 200 foot player who hits everything in sight and can dominate an entire game without a single line on the stat sheet. The other guys are scorers. Despite that, he's also scoring at a better rate.
      You're very right. That's just hard to quantify on paper, especially given that we do not have zone-start statistics, hits, or any way to quantify board play. we have blocks, but that is flawed and very imperfect. But your points are valid, and will 100% be included in my post.
      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

They may have a bit of a dilemma by having two guys who are legitimate candidates in ZAR and Sikky. If you promote them both, then you dilute the effect of the promotion and it is useless. If you promote one over the other, then you offend the one you're not promoting...
        I've never seen this as NU being put in the position of promoting one over the other, and it doesn't have to be that way. Just look at the way Union (Post #980) is bringing attention to both Vecchione and Foo without compromising either. From my (admittedly distant) perspective it's a matter of NU missing the boat on promoting the hockey program in general and two credible candidacies, in particular, before the national media.

At a time when one of the best NU offensive teams ever is playing before seemingly increasing numbers of empty seats at Matthews, shouldn't the powers that be ride the Hobey pony harder than it has apparently been doing, not only for the benefit of the players involved but also to hopefully reconnect the university community with the hockey program?
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• What's the HC doing.. he least should be pushing/ driving this issue as much as the SID..

NU (hockey) marketing in general is lax.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
            What's the HC doing.. he least should be pushing/ driving this issue as much as the SID...NU (hockey) marketing in general is lax.
            Agree with the second part; not so much the first part. A HC's job is to coach. Publicity, promotions, campaigns, etc. are why we have communications and marketing people.

Comment

my point was more to.. JM comes from the fundraising, / inside offices at the U. He knows the goodwill bit.
              Couple phone calls can get the ball rolling. I know he has to coach but putting a bit of pressure on SID, AD, whomever to get the ball rolling.. c'mon, he can make that happen.. and should. It's a win-win for the U.
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

True. Also pretty special when you consider that the first two years he was here, he was not even a top 3 featured player in his own class, with Szmatula, Stevens and Hedges all getting more opportunities on top lines and power play. He wasn't even supposed to arrive on campus until the next year, but was accelerated when Karlsson unexpectedly left late in the process (if my memory is correct).
                It's safe to say that, for whatever reason, ZAR, under-performed in the USHL - at least until the last half of of the '12-13 season. That's a fact that he, himself, seemed to recognize in his NESN feature. So, I understand how the coaches may have underestimated what they were getting in a player or, at least, didn't expect him to contribute on the score sheet as he did. IIRC, even in his sophomore year he didn't crack the Top PP until around the Beanpot and that was because of injuries...

I actually had scouted him for Mouncton when he was playing in Jersey and am still puzzled how a NY kid was drafted into the OHL - but I digress. You could see the raw, diamond in the rough talent/ability/potential in his game. He was never afraid to get down and dirty, even as a 15 year old playing Junior B. He always seemed to be on the verge of breaking out but never quite broke through. Some players just need time to grow into their game...

I will say one thing...kudos to Jim and Jerry for recognizing what they had in this kid and for not hesitating to deploy him above where they had projected him to play.

**NB: JM actually alerted ZAR that he could be accelerated when the Szmatula flap was playing out but, in the end, he was accelerated because of Karlsson signing a pro contract.
                Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 02-22-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

They may have a bit of a dilemma by having two guys who are legitimate candidates in ZAR and Sikky.
                  That was the sense that I got in a brief conversation with Mr. Roby between periods on Saturday. Still, you promote both with equal fervor and let the chips fall where they may...

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                    That was the sense that I got in a brief conversation with Mr. Roby between periods on Saturday. Still, you promote both with equal fervor and let the chips fall where they may...
                    Totally agree. And that's exactly what Union seems to be doing with Vecchione and Foo, much to its credit.

Comment

Preview of some info on the blog but I wanted to share now: ZAR's points/game rate right now (1.75) is higher than 12 of the last 16 skaters to win the Hobey Baker. Only ones higher were Gaudreau (2), Sejna (1.95), Miele (1.82) and Eichel (1.775). Not saying ZAR is Eichel, but I was floored to see him that close in points/game. ZAR also has more goals now than either Eichel or Miele did in fewer games (32 for ZAR; Eichel had 26 goals in 40 games, Miele had 26 in 39 games).

Per NU Athletics' Instagram post, ZAR also has a higher goals per game average than 27 of the last 36 skaters to win the Hobey Baker (0.84 goals per game).
                      Last edited by NU_Husky; 02-22-2017, 06:28 PM.
                      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

USA Today article on recruit Zach Solow.

Comment

Working...
                        X