X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
    Solid effort tonight, specifically defensively and in net. It's been a long time since I've been able to say that. I've been a huge critic of Kurker, but he looked like a new player next to Gaudette and Sikura. Most importantly, it was nice to see them get a convincing win without needing the big guns to be superhuman. Unfortunately, BU and Maine didn't do us any favors, but you have to feel good going into tomorrow. For those who are much better than I am at math, we're sitting at 22 in the PWR, any chance we can sneak in without winning the HE tourney?
    No, not a chance in the world. We would may have not have made it last year without winning the HET. Even if we go to the final and lose that loss will be are undoing. They likely have to win out to have consideration, the next 3 games aren't going to move them up the ladder very much. However they are good enough to win it again, if they play like they did tonight.

Comment

It's not quite as bad as stated above, but basically, we're in the same situation we were in last year.

Last year at this time, we had to win out until at least the title game to have any chance. We did that and better, winning out and winning the conference. As it turned out, even if we lost to Lowell, we still would have been the last at-large and the 14 seed. But that wasn't known until after our game ended, as it counted on Michigan winning the Big Ten Tournament, which they did about 10 minutes after our game against Lowell ended.

Right now we're in basically the same situation. If we win our next eight games in a row then lose the conference championship, we have a coin flip (58%) chance of making it. Which means it would probably once again come down to a game somewhere else going our way.
      Last edited by TheRevengeance; 02-18-2017, 04:50 AM.

Comment

• Wish the coaching staff did not have team in this position yr in yr out.. the slow starts in H.E kill us.. this year was more the injuries & the 1 goal games/ losses & not having a viable option#2 in net.

Here's hoping Ruck has started to have fun in net again & wishing the team good health down the stretch.

Go NU Huskies
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
          No, not a chance in the world. We would may have not have made it last year without winning the HET. Even if we go to the final and lose that loss will be are undoing. They likely have to win out to have consideration, the next 3 games aren't going to move them up the ladder very much. However they are good enough to win it again, if they play like they did tonight.
          No, they would have gone in Michigan blew the big lead but won in OT. They need a lot of losses from team in front of them.

Comment

So it would seem we should be hoping to play Merrimack at home in the first round since they're the highest ranked PWR team of our most likely opponents (MC, UCONN, UNH)
            2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
            2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
              So it would seem we should be hoping to play Merrimack at home in the first round since they're the highest ranked PWR team of our most likely opponents (MC, UCONN, UNH)
              They are hot, I am hoping for a 8th place finish against UCONN

Comment

Tell you what. If tonight's performance by ZAR isn't enough to validate his national credentials as a top-rung Hobey Baker candidate, I can't think of what else he can do. The guy is a treat to watch, not only for his scoring touch but also on the backcheck.

Continued high performance levels next weekend and in the playoffs go without saying.
                Last edited by Split-N; 02-19-2017, 08:56 AM.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Where NU can finish next week, ordered by their performance against Maine.

4 points- 6th-7th
                  3 points- 7th-9th
                  2 points- 7th-9th
                  1 pointt- 7th-9th
                  0 points- 8th-9th

That's not to say NU can't help themselves by winning. Obviously every point they pick up gives them better odds. Just that the scenarios exist for them to get 3 points and fall to 9th or to get 0 points and still get home ice. The series' to watch (besides NU-Maine) are UNH-UConn and Merrimack-Vermont.
                  Last edited by TheRevengeance; 02-18-2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

It'd be a disappointment to not get 4 points next weekend. Starting to roll at the right time. They've put their backs up against the wall but i doubt anyone would want to play them in the playoffs. 5 goals allowed in 4 games has been very encouraging.

Comment

• Nice gm boys. Bit of sloppy play in the 2nd (Gaudette got to move that puck & quick).. but other than that.. team took care of business. Ruck looked good.. as did the crowd. Go NU
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I thought NU played really well from Ruck on out. Down through the third pairing and fourth line. Schechter played his best game IMO, doing well in his own zone and neutral zone. The fourth line of forwards cycled the puck extremely well, and while they may not get many SOG, there were at least 2 instances where they cycled the puck in the UConn zone for 45-60 seconds straight. Once in the second, once in the third. Just playing keepaway between themselves and the D. UConn couldn't do jack against us.

ZAR hat trick is obviously the lead story but Nolan, Sikura, Gaudette all looked good. Rosenthal had some good bursts, just can't finish. Filipe and Kurker were quiet.

I was so happy for Mike Jamieson getting the A for the game, starting and hearing him announced as the assistant captain. He works tremendously hard, is adored by the team on the ice and off the ice as a leader/role model/locker room guy, he has paid his dues for the program and deserves the A. Very happy Jim did that.
                        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                          ...I was so happy for Mike Jamieson getting the A for the game, starting and hearing him announced as the assistant captain. He works tremendously hard, is adored by the team on the ice and off the ice as a leader/role model/locker room guy, he has paid his dues for the program and deserves the A. Very happy Jim did that.
                          Jim has a knack for doing the right things in terms of the way he treats people. It's one of the reasons he's built up such a store of goodwill over the years.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                            Where NU can finish next week, ordered by their performance against Maine.

4 points- 6th-7th
                            3 points- 7th-9th
                            2 points- 7th-9th
                            1 pointt- 7th-9th
                            0 points- 8th-9th

That's not to say NU can't help themselves by winning. Obviously every point they pick up gives them better odds. Just that the scenarios exist for them to get 3 points and fall to 9th or to get 0 points and still get home ice. The series' to watch (besides NU-Maine) are UNH-UConn and Merrimack-Vermont.
                            My ideal situation sees us getting at least one win with UNH-UConn splitting (keeping them both behind us) and Merrimack getting swept, vaulting us to 7th and playing UConn in round 1 at Matthews. That is the most ideal situation for NU at this stage I believe, given the past weekend. UNH has scored over 100 goals this season- about 20 more than UConn or Merrimack. They have also allowed over 100 goals, but I do not want to test that offense. Merrimack. has been on fire lately, recently beating BU twice, BC @ BC, and coming back from 3-0 and 2-0 deficits vs Maine @ Merrimack's rink. I'd take my chances with UConn again, if I had the choice.
                            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

That scenario isn't too dificult, it only requires NU getting equal points to UNH (or better) and one more point than Merrimack (or better). So NU getting 3 points and two splits would do it. Not out of the question.

Comment

Anyone have a status update on John Stevens? Would be a huge shame if they didn'the have the captain for the playoffs and if he finished his career with 99 points.

Comment

Working...
                                X