This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

In a response to our post above, Scott Herbst, who follows the Cedar Rapids Roughriders in the USHL, commented that Schultz plays a similar game to Ryan McGrath, who went to UML. McGrath played in 139 games at Lowell, won one Hockey East championship, scored 60 points (including 21 his freshman year), and put up 88 PIM. He is listed at 5'7'', just like Schultz. If we can get that kind of production from Schultz in the bottom 6, I think we would be very happy. Herbst also added that Schultz "definitely plays the agitator role."
    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
      In a response to our post above, Scott Herbst, who follows the Cedar Rapids Roughriders in the USHL, commented that Schultz plays a similar game to Ryan McGrath, who went to UML. McGrath played in 139 games at Lowell, won one Hockey East championship, scored 60 points (including 21 his freshman year), and put up 88 PIM. He is listed at 5'7'', just like Schultz. If we can get that kind of production from Schultz in the bottom 6, I think we would be very happy. Herbst also added that Schultz "definitely plays the agitator role."
      Schultz' description sound like Tanner Pond with better balance and better offensive skills. That would be just fine. The kid must be a tough bird, as he came back from a back injury that cost him the second half of the season with Waterloo last year.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
        Schultz' description sound like Tanner Pond with better balance and better offensive skills. That would be just fine. The kid must be a tough bird, as he came back from a back injury that cost him the second half of the season with Waterloo last year.
        Pond is 6' tall and has hands of stone...

Comment

Multiple Huskies are chasing history as the regular season comes to a close

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...tte-ryan-ruck/
          "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
            Multiple Huskies are chasing history as the regular season comes to a close
            http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...tte-ryan-ruck/
            This is very well written and goes well beyond surface glitter. My question is, why did this have to be written by an unofficial blog that the university doesn't recognize (and maybe wishes would go away) instead of the official NU Sports Information staff? Are the powers on high telling them to keep a lid on hockey publicity or are we looking at a lack of initiative? I'm just asking. All I'm seeing on the Athletics web page is a dated fluff piece on Sikura.

In addition to all of the things pointed out on the blog, Northeastern has not one but two serious Hobey Baker candidates (ZAR and Sikura) and unless something is going on that I'm not able to see, I'm not aware of any official university communications initiatives that support, enhance, or advance the national candidacies of either in the wider hockey world. Let's start with the fan voting (yes, I know it counts for only one percent of the award formula) but an organized campaign to get out the fan vote (one vote per person per device per day) would at the very least get students, alums, and the wider fan base involved, give them a personal connection to the team, and maybe even put an extra butt or two in the seats. Plus, the higher the vote totals, the greater the potential impact on the Hobey Baker Foundation higher ups, who have the major say in the final selection.

Apologies in advance if I'm missing something but from where I sit, I'm dumfounded and frustrated over the apparent fact that the official university communications channels don't seems to be even trying to leverage the two strong Hobey candidacies to the mutual benefit of both the players and the school.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              This is very well written and goes well beyond surface glitter. My question is, why did this have to be written by an unofficial blog that the university doesn't recognize (and maybe wishes would go away) instead of the official NU Sports Information staff? Are the powers on high telling them to keep a lid on hockey publicity or are we looking at a lack of initiative? I'm just asking. All I'm seeing on the Athletics web page is a dated fluff piece on Sikura.

In addition to all of the things pointed out on the blog, Northeastern has not one but two serious Hobey Baker candidates (ZAR and Sikura) and unless something is going on that I'm not able to see, I'm not aware of any official university communications initiatives that support, enhance, or advance the national candidacies of either in the wider hockey world. Let's start with the fan voting (yes, I know it counts for only one percent of the award formula) but an organized campaign to get out the fan vote (one vote per person per device per day) would at the very least get students, alums, and the wider fan base involved, give them a personal connection to the team, and maybe even put an extra butt or two in the seats. Plus, the higher the vote totals, the greater the potential impact on the Hobey Baker Foundation higher ups, who have the major say in the final selection.

Apologies in advance if I'm missing something but from where I sit, I'm dumfounded and frustrated over the apparent fact that the official university communications channels don't seems to be even trying to leverage the two strong Hobey candidacies to the mutual benefit of both the players and the school.
              Thank you. The blog will not be going anywhere in the near future unless school and work makes it impossible for the three of us to cover the team and put out the quality of content we feel that the team deserves (which is obviously high). I have no leads on the NU SID/athletic marketing schedules or what would prevent them from putting a production out, but in their absence I'm happy that people seem to be enjoying the work that Mike, Ryan, and I are putting out. We've all had a blast doing it, and look forward to continuing it. In particular, once the regular season ends, I hope to have a better feature on the Hobey prospects of ZAR/Sikura/Vecchione/Kelleher; probably going to do that in a couple weeks over my spring break, and reach out to Union/UNH bloggers to contribute as well.

Side note re: Hobey voting, which are you state counts for all of 1% of the criteria for inclusion- current leaders are Vecchione (Union) with 16.1%, Cam Brown (Maine) with 7.4%, Tyler Kelleher (UNH) with 5.3%, Anthony Lewis (Miami) with 5.2%, and Parker Gahagen (Army) with 4.4%. Only three of those players belong in the discussion- Vecchione, Kelleher, Gahagen. All those schools, to my knowledge, are also smaller than NU, and most are hockey-centric (Miami/Maine/UNH/Union). So I imagine their athletic departments are pushing their players hard as a publicity thing.
              Last edited by NU_Husky; 02-16-2017, 01:31 PM.
              "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

I'm afraid that your not missing what isn't there. Additionally, the baseball team opens tomorrow with three games at Southern Mississippi. Not a word! OTOH go to the so. Miss. athletic website. What they have posted about their program is amazing. Granted, Baseball to them is like hockey should be to us, but they treat opening day like a national holiday!

We have an enormous number of people doing the job that Jack Grinold used to do by himself with the aid of several interns. The number of people employed by the Athletics Department. Why we don't employ the man(people)power in ways that will shine a positive light on our athletes achievements. This raises all kinds of questions about the management as well as the lack of creativity and initiative at Cabot.

We emplo

Comment

Merrimack and CHN reporter Mike McMahon said on twitter today that ZAR would be his pick for Hobey.
                  "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                    ...re: Hobey voting...current leaders are Vecchione (Union) with 16.1%, Cam Brown (Maine) with 7.4%, Tyler Kelleher (UNH) with 5.3%, Anthony Lewis (Miami) with 5.2%, and Parker Gahagen (Army) with 4.4%....So I imagine their athletic departments are pushing their players hard as a publicity thing.
                    Darn right they are. So why isn't ours? The fact that a small college like Union can mobilize 16% of a nationwide vote shows what can be done when athletic administrations care enough to advance the causes of deserving student athletes at the national level. Why isn't there an organized push to do the same for ZAR and DS?

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                    We have an enormous number of people doing the job that Jack Grinold used to do by himself with the aid of several interns...This raises all kinds of questions about the management as well as the lack of creativity and initiative at Cabot.
                    Indeed! (Although I did see a single tweet with a link to the Hobey voting several days ago.)
                    Last edited by Split-N; 02-16-2017, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Northeastern doesn't have Hobey candidates very often and quite frankly it's a joke the lack of marketing the athletic department has done. ZAR and Sikura deserve better. IIRC, they did a much better job promoting Thiessen in '09.
                      2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                      2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

UConn steams games, but it costs $. Link here: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/colleges.../?media=538064
                        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                          Northeastern doesn't have Hobey candidates very often and quite frankly it's a joke the lack of marketing the athletic department has done. ZAR and Sikura deserve better. IIRC, they did a much better job promoting Thiessen in '09.
                          The SID who did such a great job with Thiessen is now at BC.

Comment

The SID who did such a great job with Thiessen is now at BC.
                            And is doing a great job, Mark Majewski is fantastic at what he does and what he puts out for BC.
                            "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

• Nice to get a shutout on the road. Way to go NU
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Solid effort tonight, specifically defensively and in net. It's been a long time since I've been able to say that. I've been a huge critic of Kurker, but he looked like a new player next to Gaudette and Sikura. Most importantly, it was nice to see them get a convincing win without needing the big guns to be superhuman. Unfortunately, BU and Maine didn't do us any favors, but you have to feel good going into tomorrow. For those who are much better than I am at math, we're sitting at 22 in the PWR, any chance we can sneak in without winning the HE tourney?
                                2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                                2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X