X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
    "That group of forwards" isn't the group continually caught out of position as badly as they were last night...that was the defense.

NU was very lucky last night...a lot of selfish plays in the offensive zone...totally out-coached...a defense corp that just refuses to stay home...I'm hoping that they believed they'd have an easy game...still no excuse for allowing Carvel - and other coaches - to continually create line mismatches...rule of thumb from coaching 101...when your opponent has last change and 4th lines are matched with a play stoppage...PULL YOUR LINE OFF OF THE ICE...how many times if Keefe going to get caught in that mismatch before he learns?

That is all...
    Me and another blogger (well, mostly him) were commenting about the 4th line getting throttled last night. Pinned back deep often, UMass really took it to us. Powerplay kept us in the game. Defense, goaltending, and the bottom 6 really were Achilles heels last night.

Hope Jozefek is alright...that hit was attempted murder
    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• I think we were 3-5 on the powerplay. That is real good, except that teams like Harvard do not take that many penalties for the most part.. so comes down to D just making simple plays & (as righty pointed out).. knowing when to jump in or stay disciplined & stay home.

edit: that should help Ruck out some, as well.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Recap: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...ve-iacobellis/
        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Anybody have an update on Jozefek? After missing months to a conussion or two, I have visions of Marc Savard in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
            Hope Jozefek is alright...that hit was attempted murder
            I meant to comment on that...I was sitting right there...head was clearly targeted with an elbow...how in the Sam Hill all four officials missed the puck carrier being elbowed to the head is beyond my mere mortal powers...

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
              Me and another blogger (well, mostly him) were commenting about the 4th line getting throttled last night.
              Third line wasn't much better...I take back anything good I ever stated about Kurker...Filipe showing well lately...

But that one sequence where Keefe kept the 4th line on after a whistle...I was right across from UMass bench...Carvel had that line nearly over the boards before the ref signaled okay...IIRC, UMass scored off of that faceoff/rush...
              Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 02-01-2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                Anybody have an update on Jozefek? After missing months to a conussion or two, I have visions of Marc Savard in my head.
                that is tough. wishing him a speedy recovery.
                GO NU HOCKEY
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I admittedly didn't see the game, was following the score at work, but it doesn't surprise me the D was running around out of position. It's happened all year. A guy like Manson or Darou would really help this group. No highlights of the game on the HE website, was Ruck 83% save percentage bad, or was it mostly on the defense. Following online, I was surprised he wasn't pulled after the 4th goal when Gaudette had tied the game a minute before.

To expand on Sikura, I think at this point he has to be the front-runner for HEA POTY. In conference games, he leads Hockey East in points, goals, assists, power-play shots, tied in power-play goals and SOG. He is an absolute beast. If 9, 8 and 21 all come back next year, and i know that's a big if, that could no exaggeration be the best line in Northeastern history.
                  2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                  2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

• Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                    Following online, I was surprised he wasn't pulled after the 4th goal when Gaudette had tied the game a minute..
                    UMass did a goalie change around about the same time.. at 4-5 or 5-5 as well.. something like that. Wouldnt have hurt if we did change G. Hindsight is 2020 & glad we came out of there with points.. to bad re missed call on Jozefek.
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                      ...it doesn't surprise me the D was running around out of position. It's happened all year...
                      I'm not close to the program so don't have any insights but just have to wonder if there are any concerns about coaching on the defensive side of the equation.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                        I admittedly didn't see the game, was following the score at work, but it doesn't surprise me the D was running around out of position. It's happened all year. A guy like Manson or Darou would really help this group. No highlights of the game on the HE website, was Ruck 83% save percentage bad, or was it mostly on the defense. Following online, I was surprised he wasn't pulled after the 4th goal when Gaudette had tied the game a minute before.
                        It was pretty bad early on, the third period he settled down and the only goal in the third he gave up was a real pretty pass in front that the D got burned on. But through the first 40 minutes there was a lot of flopping around, dives out of position to get the puck, over-committing to a side based on a pass, and tracking the puck seemed meh. He made some very good saves, and had others that was good positioning (I can think of one in particular that saved the potential tying goal when it was 6-5), but he wasn't great. One goal was directly a result of a rebound kicked to the tape of a UMass player. However, at least 2-3 goals were not his fault- defensive breakdowns/losing their man caused them. UMass' 2nd and 5th goals in particular were like that, and the 1st the D could not clear a loose puck while Ruck was prone.
                        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                          I'm not close to the program so don't have any insights but just have to wonder if there are any concerns about coaching on the defensive side of the equation.
                          The current Defensive coach's resume is replete with experience @ girl's lacrosse...YOUTH girl's lacrosse...

Comment

Is there still a free parking lot across the tracks from the Matthews? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              Is there still a free parking lot across the tracks from the Matthews? Thanks
                              Yes.. on gamedays. Lot opens about an hour before the gm.
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                                Yes.. on gamedays. Lot opens about an hour before the gm.
                                Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X