• Show
Clear All

• Gr8Sk8M8
    replied
    Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
    I make the case for ZAR to be among those in the Hobey Baker race
    http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...ike-vecchione/
    Thanks...great case...I watch/see a lot of hockey and there are none in the Top (next) 5 NCAA players that play the 200' game as well as he does against the best competition in college hockey - that he scores is also a compelling factor and had I a vote he'd get it.

That said, I'd be very surprised if they awarded it to a Boston area player for the 4th year in a row and to a program that isn't having that great of a year.

Leave a comment:

• NU_Husky
    replied

I make the case for ZAR to be among those in the Hobey Baker race
    http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...ike-vecchione/

Leave a comment:

• Gr8Sk8M8
    replied

Originally posted by HHound View Post
    IIRC if a player gets financial aid, there are severe limits on the amount of scholarship $ he may receive (and vice versa).
    You are correct...any scholarship funds, i.e. in kind grants for tuition, books and housing that he receives goes 1-1 against the team's scholarship allocation. I believe that the NCAA recently carved out an exception for food and, possibly, some personal items...i.e. a program can use funds to feed its players for the semester without it counting against their scholarship, pool...

Federal and State awarded aid is exempt...

Leave a comment:

• Gr8Sk8M8
    replied

It came from the folks who make these decisions.
    As was mine...I'm looking for an opening to update my information base...

Leave a comment:

• HHound
    replied

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
    Just curious where you got this because my information is quite different. He may be on a 2/4 deal but he definitely is part of the 18 player formula.
    It came from the folks who make these decisions. Perhaps Theut has subsequently earned a partial as the team needs a practice goalie. Frye had aged out of juniors and was, AFAIK recruited walk-on. It's entirely possible that either or both of these guys have financial aid - instead of scholarship $. Keeping your kid outfitted with goalie equipment can quickly help a family to qualify for aid . IIRC if a player gets financial aid, there are severe limits on the amount of scholarship $ he may receive (and vice versa).

Leave a comment:

• jcarter7669
    replied

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
    Was there anybody that saw last place?
    See Hockey East Preseason Thread...

" If Ruck has a Soph slump they could be behind UMO. "

Leave a comment:

• Gr8Sk8M8
    replied

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• CollegeHockeyRinkReport
    replied

Some NU recruits mentioned:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...-ohl-merrimack

Leave a comment:

• Gr8Sk8M8
    replied

You must have missed this post. Looked at HE stats today and noticed that NU has scored just 29 goals in 12 league games. The 76 goals in 22 games overall is a bit deceptive. That 5+ goals per game drops to about under 2.5 goals per game in HE.
    There's a significant drop in G/GP between #1 BC and #5 ND...it's not just Northeastern...I will note that BU swept BC this past weekend...one was a shutout...BC's remaining games has them going against some pretty good goaltending...

Leave a comment:

• Gr8Sk8M8
    replied

Originally posted by ppguru View Post
    easiest way to sum this team up is to say that after the top 5 or 6 six players, they're just not good enough and they lack quality depth. Give me a grade for the following four groups: Goaltending;
    f

defense (as a group);
    d+

top two forward lines (as a group);
    a-

and bottom two forward lines (as a group).
    c

Leave a comment:

• Gr8Sk8M8
    replied

Not sure that all three have $, but Theut came in without any and Frye cannot have much.
    Just curious where you got this because my information is quite different. He may be on a 2/4 deal but he definitely is part of the 18 player formula.

Leave a comment:

• PPGuru
    replied

Easiest way to sum this team up is to say that after the top 5 or 6 six players, they're just not good enough and they lack quality depth. Give me a grade for the following four groups: Goaltending; Defense (as a group); Top Two Forward lines (as a group); and Bottom Two Forward Lines (as a group).
    You must have missed this post. Looked at HE stats today and noticed that NU has scored just 29 goals in 12 league games. The 76 goals in 22 games overall is a bit deceptive. That 5+ goals per game drops to about under 2.5 goals per game in HE.

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied

Before we beat up on the goaltending any more than we already have, it's instructive to note that NU has three players among the top ten scorers nationally (ZAR - 4; Sikura - 7; Gaud - 10) but absolutely nada among the remaining 40. Says something (bad) about secondary scoring.

Leave a comment:

• Thiessen'sBetter
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    Yes.

Link
    So we're winning the conference tournament? Sounds good to me.

Leave a comment:

• PPGuru
    replied

FiveHole, I can see there was some tongue in cheek sarcasm there but you did put NU in the 12 spot. No taking that away from you!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X