Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Well, here's a positive.

Colton Point was one of the most sought after goalie recruits of this season.

And he came to Colgate.

So, not only is it possible to get top-notch recruits to come to Colgate but it's possible to do it now with this coaching staff.

Question is: how do we get more Colton Point type recruits and fewer fifth line type recruits?

Comment

Does anyone think Andy McDonald can make the jump from his current head coaching job to 'gate? or would he even want to?

Comment

Colgate coaching dream team: Spott, Drechsel, Harder.

Comment

I would say that is where I was going, I respect DV but sometimes young blood needs to be brought in and Colgate has some pretty prestigious alums. I don't want to to repeat myself but Clarkson is heading towards its 2007-2008 form, hopefully with more consistency, there is potential that Vigneault leaves early for us but will be replaced by Nick Campoli who should end up being drafted this summer and has major upside, he was hurt a lot of the year but had a great close to the year with North York in the OJHL, he will be a true freshman but is physically ready for D1, with Jack Jacome (OJHL regular season points leader, 2018 recruit, potential OHL flight risk), Josh Dickinson (Top 10 in OJHL regular season points, plays on a line with Jacome in Georgetown), Chris Klack (Having a nice season with the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, is from Georgetown, ON), Carson Pearce (Big athletic tough to play against Dman that plays with Dickinson and Jacome, future recruit for 18' or 19') we have recruited the area well so I will be interested to see if SLU with Morris, potentially RPI with their new coach, potentially Colgate, disrupts the momentum swing Clarkson has right now in that league/area, Princeton is also trying to dip into the OJHL a lot as well and have secured a few top kids from the league.

Clarkson also added Josh Hauge to our staff to increase our USHL recruiting production, he added Jake Kielly from Tri-City (Current goalie and should only get better), Haralds Egle (Late add in the process, should be a 100 point guy at Tech), Shane Kuzmeski (Great skater, ended up impressing in practice so he's ended up being a mainstay in our lineup down the stretch), Jere Astren (Former Wisconsin commit, had a good year in Fargo last year but wasn't eligible this year, should play from day one next year), Kuzmeski played in the NAHL but the other 3 were all USHL talents and that league prepares you for D1 hockey the best, the pace is quite similar just things are a lot more organized come college time. Clarkson has never really excelled in recruiting the USHL but if you add Nico Sturm to the list that Andy Jones (former assistant) got to commit then Clarkson has 3 potentially 4 instant impact recruits from that league and things are looking up.

Hauge has also worked on getting Kevin Charyszyn who is a late bloomer but is one of the top goal scorers in the USHL this season on a top tier Waterloo team. Clarkson struggled under Jones to bring in just an average goalie so having Kielly now and then Ryan Bischel who is committed for 18' or 19', he has a bright future in the USHL and next year he should find a starting spot somewhere in that league. Phil Roy has done a great job with recruiting quality Dmen over the years and he continued with Connor McCarthy who has major upside, he's a former Denver commit and flipped to Clarkson for next season, he's 6'6 and is quite mobile and skilled, his frame will need to fill out but he should see ice time next season. Roy also got Cameron Ginnetti who is almost at a assist per game as a D for Langley in the BCHL, he is smaller at 5'11 but can move pucks and sees the ice well, he's a 98' but we are pushing him up and he could instantly see PP time next year.
          Last edited by techtodenver; 03-09-2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

It's a bummer having no game to look forward to tonight.

Comment

reading TechtoDenver's informative analysis of the strides that Clarkson is making to return to its long history of success on the ice...great for Clarkson (and well deserved), kind of depressing if you're in Hamilton, NY...from the very top on down I simply don't see a total commitment at Colgate to reverse a trend that is over a decade in length...Austin was simply great, McIntire was as well, and the Class of 2016 was one of a kind...Goulakos was very good and an inspirational leader in many ways...bottom line: we need more of this talent if we're going to be competitive for the top four spots on a semi-consistent basis...

Comment

GreenCoat, here's the million dollar question:

Do you think the current coaching staff has the ability to bring in such top shelf talent on a continual basis?

Comment

Speaking of ability to bring in top shelf talent, anybody notice which direction Princeton is headed? Seven of top eight leading scorers this year are freshmen or sophomores. The eighth is a junior.

Comment

That certainly is a troubling trend (not for Princeton obviously but for us).

Especially frustrating in light of the fact their coaching staff is full of 'Gate guys.

Comment

in a half-assed answer to your question (above)...I'm beginning to seriously wonder...waiting another year or two is not the optimal answer, but wait we will...no question though, we HAVE to raise our game...

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you but I saw some good things from mcmann and snodgrass. I think they will be better players than you think, but as far as the season goes, 2 seasons without gettring out of the first weekend is not good.

And I can't believe we were literally a second away from playing this weekend, seems unreal. We had chances in the third game but when they took the lead you knew it was going to be an uphill battle

Comment

Kyle just got booted at Northern Michigan - with a record over .500...don't know if there were other circumstances behind the decision...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                            reading TechtoDenver's informative analysis of the strides that Clarkson is making to return to its long history of success on the ice...great for Clarkson (and well deserved), kind of depressing if you're in Hamilton, NY...from the very top on down I simply don't see a total commitment at Colgate to reverse a trend that is over a decade in length...Austin was simply great, McIntire was as well, and the Class of 2016 was one of a kind...Goulakos was very good and an inspirational leader in many ways...bottom line: we need more of this talent if we're going to be competitive for the top four spots on a semi-consistent basis...
                            I was just sharing on how Clarkson has done it, in the first 4-5 years of CJ he had his fair share of issues and recruiting was a mess, especially between the pipes (look at all the upperclassmen who barley played as juniors and seniors). Andy Jones is a great guy but he wasn't making the impact needed as he was suppossed to bringing in any USHL guy and he wasn't successful, Andy moved onto UMass-Lowell and Clarkson got an early Christmas present in Josh Hauge. Josh was not the best player during his time but is a world class human being and has established life long friendships over his time in hockey and that has pushed him into the coach/recruiter he is today, he has a great hockey mind and hopefully over time he has the chance to become a head coach.

Comment

Red, I absolutely agree with you that I saw some good things from McMann and Snodgrass. I would put Cockrell and Dauda in that group too. When I mentioned how we had no players who would be top 2 line players for any of the better teams in the league I meant none of our players as they played this year would be regarded that way. Certainly those four have the potential to be very good players. But they have a lot of work to do. Realistically, for us to get better, they all need to double their point production. Frankly, as McMann was the MVP last year in the AJHL, I expected quite a bit more from him.

But here's the sobering thought: even if all four of those players elevate their games that gives us four potential top 2 line forwards. I don't see our rising junior and senior classes magically getting better over the summer. So, that leaves the incoming frosh. Obviously we have no idea how they will pan out but on paper they look OK at best.

Comment

And back to my question about this coaching staff being able to consistently recruit top notch talent, I will concur with GreenCoat that I'm seriously starting to wonder.

Did some more number crunching,

Coach Vaughan enjoyed six straight winning seasons with the last being '99-'00.

In the last 16 years?

Five winning seasons.
                                Nine losing seasons.
                                Two .500 seasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X