Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Very impressive effort last night. Although the talent level is not where we'd like it to be (especially with McMann and Dauda out of the line-up) the compete level was excellent. And the fight in the third period chasing a goal was impressive. Naturally, Finn deserves a ton of credit for stealing the game; he was very, very good. As GreenCoat notes, he looks a lot more like the confident goalie from early in his career.

All in all a really solid effort. It's kind of the template for what they need to do every week--outwork the opponent and get solid goaltending. Let's hope they can keep it going. For sure it was nice seeing their efforts rewarded with a win.

Comment

In a technical note, watching the game through PLN it certainly seems as if some of the early issues regarding lighting in the rink for TV have been resolved. The first few games seemed dark to me and it was hard to differentiate the players from the overhead view. That now seems fixed and I find the video feed fabulous to watch.

Well, when it works anyway.

Comment

And of course not only is it great to be able to watch all the home games but it's even better that they're synced with Gate Radio's feed. Always loved listening to his fantastic play by play on the radio; he does an excellent (and very fair and neutral) call of a game which truly conveys what's happening on the ice. It's even better now listening while watching a well-filmed broadcast. All in all, top notch.

Comment

Harrison's tying goal was absolutely phenominal, man down, steals the puck at the blueline, races in and buries the puck top corner. Game winner by Peterson on PP was set up by Kulevich's pass after a great deke, and one timer past a screen in front by I think, Freeman.
          We finally win a game 3-2, five or six 3-2 losses this year.
          Finn kept us in the game, until the third period the Knights were badly outplaying us. Don't forget he had surjury before this year, as mentioned before he's back !!

Need to beat Dartmouth Friday in our attempt to get a home ice playoffs berth. Anything still possible as we have games in hand on some teams.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Was at the game and saw noticeable upgrade from several weeks ago. The SHG was a great piece of work. I thought Harrison, Peterson with the PP goal, and Kulevitch played very well. As far as territorial battles go I thought we were in their end about 40-45% of the time; the Golden Knights in our end 55-60%, but our guys must have had a cup of coffee before the 3rd and seemed to be able to bottle up Clarkson in their zone by battling, outworking, and crunching them in the corners. Great effort.

My only complaint is the concession people need to speed up their service. It took about 15 minutes to serve me a hamburger Yikes!
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Was at the game Saturday - wow, what a nice building you guys have. Clarkson played as poorly as I've seen them play in a long time; that shorthanded goal was the worst play I've seen in a while. Clarkson guy gets to the blue line on the PP, passes it backwards (like he's afraid to go into the zone?) and it gets picked off. Horrible effort by my guys.
              Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
              Clarkson 1990

Comment

• Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                Was at the game Saturday - wow, what a nice building you guys have. Clarkson played as poorly as I've seen them play in a long time; that shorthanded goal was the worst play I've seen in a while. Clarkson guy gets to the blue line on the PP, passes it backwards (like he's afraid to go into the zone?) and it gets picked off. Horrible effort by my guys.
                Thanks for your comments dr shorn. I didn't think the Golden Knights played that badly. It was a very competitive game with 'Gate grinding and cycling in the corners to keep Clarkson in their end. Pretty even game, but Colgate bottled up the Knights pretty well in the 3rd and got the lucky break with the miscue at the blue line by the Ckarkson d-man. Perhaps we will meet in the post season.

Comment

Yeah Clarkson has a bunch of issues, no offense to the Raiders but with you guys being in a rebuilding phase we needed to take advantage of our 4 points against you guys in order to stay in that top 4 area but after watching that display I'll just be content losing in the 2nd round once again, we needed to capitalize on stealing a point from the better team in Cornell and all we did was lay an egg out there, every league game is tough so I'd hope our guys didn't look ahead as they have nothing to look ahead to if they play like that.

Comment

A win against Dartmouth Friday is very important for our chances at a home playoff series. We lost in Hanover 2-0, think it was 0-0 with two mins left and Dartmouth scored and added an empty netter. Game is being shown on channel 323 in central New York TW, lake effect snow is forecast.

Comment

A win tonight is very doable. The Big Green have lost 4 out of their last 6 games, most recently to Yale (7-0) and Brown (4-3 OT) but previously beat Harvard 8-4. They have been up and down all year - overall record 7-10-3 - with wins over Michigan earlier in season and losses to Bob Morrris, etc. Hard to know which team will show up. If we play a defensive game and take advantage of any mistakes/PPs we should be OK. I assume Finn will start in goal?

Comment

Corkey PP goal with 5 seconds left in the first, 1-0 after one. Shots 10-10 but we also rang one off the post.

Comment

Really good effort tonight.

Some dicey moments in the third but all in all a solid effort.

Finn truly seems to have recaptured his form of his freshman and sophomore years. That blocker save in the third . . . .

He stole another one.

McMann looks dangerous every shift. A little careless with the puck on occasion but very dangerous.

All in all a huge win for the team. With their position in the standings vis a vis Dartmouth, tonight's game was tremendously important. Well done.
                          Last edited by Marmot; 01-27-2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Spot on Marmot, gotta cut down on the PIMS, Finn's save should make top five NCAA again this week, unreal ! You can see much improvement in the passing game.

Comment

Congrats to the team on a well-fought win last night! And congrats to Charlie Finn for becoming the all-time saves leader in Colgate hockey history, surpassing Mark Dekanich.

It won't get any easier tonight, but I think the team is learning from its growing pains earlier this season and finally starting to put things together.
                              Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                                Spot on Marmot, gotta cut down on the PIMS, Finn's save should make top five NCAA again this week, unreal ! You can see much improvement in the passing game.
                                While I it is almost impossible to get a clip of the best NCAA saves, Finn has certainly got my vote. What makes it even more incredible was that he has to move from his left to to his right, meaning high blocker save. Most saves you see on highlight reels are from right to left (assuming left-handed catching) are high glove saves. There's is no doubt in my my if Finn did not stop that, that Dartmouth would have come back and won the game as momentum shifted big time. Hats (helmet) off to Finn!

Comment

Working...
                                X