Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

So Hollis took a swing and missed at another coach who has been out of college hockey for a few years, albeit one who was very successful while at DU. There goes the "easy/lazy" approach to filling the position. If Danton Cole is being considered for the Michigan job (should Red retire), Hollis best get off his keester and get Cole to sign on the dotted line. Otherwise, Hollis will be forced to do something that he is probably woefully prepared, qualified, or interested in doing....conduct a true coaching search.

And lurking in the background is the possibility that the DU job will be open as soon as the middle of the week, with Monty being rumored to be the favorite for the Florida Panthers coaching vacancy, thus creating another opening at a big time program. Is Michigan State still a big time program?

Comment

• Originally posted by samboni View Post
      So Hollis took a swing and missed at another coach who has been out of college hockey for a few years, albeit one who was very successful while at DU. There goes the "easy/lazy" approach to filling the position. If Danton Cole is being considered for the Michigan job (should Red retire), Hollis best get off his keester and get Cole to sign on the dotted line. Otherwise, Hollis will be forced to do something that he is probably woefully prepared, qualified, or interested in doing....conduct a true coaching search.

And lurking in the background is the possibility that the DU job will be open as soon as the middle of the week, with Monty being rumored to be the favorite for the Florida Panthers coaching vacancy, thus creating another opening at a big time program. Is Michigan State still a big time program?
      you got a source for that Monty to Florida rumor? I just talked to two NHL contacts and two in college hockey, and none have heard anything like that. His name has bee in mentioned for better NCAA jobs. I google "Jim Montgomery Florida panthers and can't even find a real rumor.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Bob McKenzie mentioned Montgomery to Florida tonight on NBCSN. There are other un-named sources who brought up the same over the weekend in Chicago.

Comment

• Originally posted by samboni View Post
          Bob McKenzie mentioned Montgomery to Florida tonight on NBCSN. There are other un-named sources who brought up the same over the weekend in Chicago.
          Saw Buccigross Tweet the same earlier today. Lotta smoke for no fire.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            you got a source for that Monty to Florida rumor? I just talked to two NHL contacts and two in college hockey, and none have heard anything like that. His name has bee in mentioned for better NCAA jobs. I google "Jim Montgomery Florida panthers and can't even find a real rumor.
            You need better sources. Weren't you 100% sure ECHL Toledo's Derek Lalonde was going to be the next AHL Griffins coach, no way in hell Todd Nelson would get the job?

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
              You need better sources. Weren't you 100% sure ECHL Toledo's Derek Lalonde was going to be the next AHL Griffins coach, no way in hell Todd Nelson would get the job?

Didn't you just say, "Lotta smoke, no fire?"
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Elliotte Friedman on HNIC Saturday said Montgomery is a candidate in Vegas for the Golden Knights job.

Comment

Judging solely from his all-caps use, Hondo seems to really, really, really think it's Cole.
                  Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                  66 - 86 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                    Judging solely from his all-caps use, Hondo seems to really, really, really think it's Cole.
                    Remember the last coaching search when the news stations even REPORTED it being someone other than Anastos?(can't remember if that was Cole or Bob Daniels) This could be happening again.. I doubt hollis has said much to the media in regards to who he has actually talked to.

Comment

Danton Cole has been hired.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...key/100282994/

Comment

Uninspired? Perhaps. A bad hire? I don't think so.

Hollis clearly refused to leave his comfort zone again. For a second time, there was no national search and the selection was based, at least in part, on a Spartan purity test. That said, Cole isn't a bad choice. He's a good coach with direct connections to the NTDP. Frankly, Cole should have been the choice six years ago.

If the reports turn out true, I would be rather interested in hearing about his long-term vision for the program.
                        Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                        66 - 86 - 07
                        59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                        59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                          Uninspired? Perhaps. A bad hire? I don't think so.

Hollis clearly refused to leave his comfort zone again. For a second time, there was no national search and the selection was based, at least in part, on a Spartan purity test. That said, Cole isn't a bad choice. He's a good coach with direct connections to the NTDP. Frankly, Cole should have been the choice six years ago.

If the reports turn out true, I would be rather interested in hearing about his long-term vision for the program.
                          Uninspired and very safe from an appearance standpoint. If Michigan had spoken with Cole, as was rumored, then Hollis had to make a run at Cole. Losing Cole to Michigan would have looked TERRIBLE!

He is a good coach but I think the connections to the NTDP are over-rated. Most if not all of the players in the development program are committed or signed to NLI's. The concern should be Cole's ability to recruit. That is the great unknown.

Comment

According to a member of the (former) coaching staff, they interviewed a coach who was in the Frozen Four last weekend.

Remember the last time Danton Cole was "announced"?

http://detroit.sbnation.com/2011/3/2...e-hockey-coach
                            Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 04-10-2017, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Red is done.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                                We shall see.

Comment

Working...
                                X