Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

    Play was superior on Saturday, but the result was exactly the same. Absolutely maddening to give up a two-goal lead like that.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

    Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

    Comment


    • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

      Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
      He's had 5+ seasons to get this program on the right track, and it clearly isn't. This Coach is in way over his head. If they don't win GLI, Off with his Head!
      I have come to terms with the fact that Hollis will never fire Anastos. I think that LSJ article last year pretty much confirmed that.

      At this stage, as a fanbase, I think these are the only two options we can root for:

      1.) Let Anastos develop into a good coach through trial and error.
      2.) Early retirement or resignation.

      Every metric says this program is in dire shape right now: The win-loss record stinks, attendance is down, season ticket sales are in decline, and the program hasn't finished in the black in at least 10 years. Hollis saw these trends in the spring. His response? He gave Anastos an extension through 2020. He essentially said results were irrelevant. For better or worse, Anastos is the guy who is going to be at the helm of this program for the foreseeable future because that's what Hollis wants.
      Last edited by aallenpollreisz; 12-11-2016, 12:18 PM.
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

      Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

      Comment


      • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

        Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
        I have come to terms with the fact that Hollis will never fire Anastos. I think that LSJ article last year pretty much confirmed that.

        At this stage, as a fanbase, I think these are the only two options we can root for:

        1.) Let Anastos develop into a good coach through trial and error.
        2.) Early retirement or resignation.

        Every metric says this program is in dire shape right now: The win-loss record stinks, attendance is down, season ticket sales are in decline, and the program hasn't finished in the black in at least 10 years. Hollis saw these trends in the spring. His response? He gave Anastos an extension through 2020. He essentially said results were irrelevant. For better or worse, Anastos is the guy who is going to be at the helm of this program for the foreseeable future because that's what Hollis wants.
        I, sadly, agree about the AD. Therefor, it would behoove the fan base, to start a number of peaceful, non-violent protests.
        1: A letter writing campaign to the AD, Board of Trustee's, and the President, politely explaining our displeasure with tCHHCoMSU.
        2: Communications to the LSJ, State News, and various Sports Radio Shows such as Tim Stoudt expressing our views.

        If by chance (very likely chance) this slide continues after the 3/4 way through the B10 season, we increase the pressure by these actions:
        1:Holding up signs and banners of displeasure directed toward tCHHCoMSU at games.
        2: Picketing out front of Munn before games.

        Maybe by doing some of these, can we bring balance back to the Galaxy.

        Comment


        • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

          Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
          Play was superior on Saturday, but the result was exactly the same. Absolutely maddening to give up a two-goal lead like that.
          We have some issues with youth on defense. It was a brutal game for the non-youthful D, but I have to believe the injury on Friday had something to with that. Gatt's absence was helpful.

          I think Minney can be a force. We had one senior-laden PK unit and one young one, but that power play unit of Minnesota's is just plain GOOD. Although there were two very questionable calls Saturday that gave them the chance to bury the puck on the two man-advantages.

          I am putting my money on MSU finding some confidence again this coming Sunday.

          EXTREMELY disappointed with Saturday's crowd ... impending weather notwithstanding. I can only hope that with the hype of the triple-header and the resulting crossover support they can fill some seats and create a buzz.
          Last edited by owslachief; 12-12-2016, 11:07 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by owslachief View Post
            We have some issues with youth on defense. It was a brutal game for the non-youthful D, but I have to believe the injury on Friday had something to with that. I think Minney can be a force. We had one senior-laden PK unit and one young one, but that power play unit of Minnesota's is just plain GOOD. Although there were two very questionable calls Saturday that gave them the chance to bury the puck on the two man-advantages.

            I am putting my money on MSU finding some confidence again this coming Sunday.

            EXTREMELY disappointed with Saturday's crowd ... impending weather notwithstanding. I can only hope that with the hype of the triple-header and the resulting crossover support they can fill some seats and create a buzz.
            Those two PP goals they had were just plain good goals. I thought our PK was doing a fine job otherwise but all it takes is one moment.

            Saturday stung because we played about as well as I went into the weekend believing we could play and it was enough to win, we just didn't quite get the extra good bounce or two. We can lament all we want about
            Anastos and likely looking at another losing season but what did anyone expect for this team against Minnesota? Many of us predicted far worse this summer.

            I think some good things are happening with this team. I have no idea if Anastos will be retained if more moral victories aren't replaced by real victories but If a new coaching regime is brought it then I feel pretty good about the foundation they will have to work with.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by owslachief View Post
              We have some issues with youth on defense. It was a brutal game for the non-youthful D, but I have to believe the injury on Friday had something to with that. Gatt's absence was helpful.

              I think Minney can be a force. We had one senior-laden PK unit and one young one, but that power play unit of Minnesota's is just plain GOOD. Although there were two very questionable calls Saturday that gave them the chance to bury the puck on the two man-advantages.

              I am putting my money on MSU finding some confidence again this coming Sunday.

              EXTREMELY disappointed with Saturday's crowd ... impending weather notwithstanding. I can only hope that with the hype of the triple-header and the resulting crossover support they can fill some seats and create a buzz.
              Ed Minney has definitely arrived and that is a big relief.

              Also, yes, the crowd Saturday was disappointing. Friday was much better, even if I don't believe for a moment the announced number.

              Comment


              • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

                Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                We have some issues with youth on defense. It was a brutal game for the non-youthful D, but I have to believe the injury on Friday had something to with that. I think Minney can be a force. We had one senior-laden PK unit and one young one, but that power play unit of Minnesota's is just plain GOOD. Although there were two very questionable calls Saturday that gave them the chance to bury the puck on the two man-advantages.

                I am putting my money on MSU finding some confidence again this coming Sunday.

                EXTREMELY disappointed with Saturday's crowd ... impending weather notwithstanding. I can only hope that with the hype of the triple-header and the resulting crossover support they can fill some seats and create a buzz.
                1. Hey, how about that goalie!? Minney looked awfully good. If he plays like that every game we will at least have a chance.

                2. I agree, with a better crowd I think MSU may find a way to win one of those games this weekend. I think a lack of leadership in the student section is the real problem. Not once did they start the big "Go Green" to get the rest of the crowd to chant Go White... Instead they tried to do the whole chant between the two halves of the students (Very underwhelming FYI). Not to mention they only start other popular chants maybe 5 different times throughout the game. Makes for a very quite atmosphere.. At one point I could hear Minnesota's coach clear as day it was so quite in the arena.

                3. That delay of game penalty on Saliba was just ridiculous and it led to a tie game with Minnesota having all the momentum. I didn't DVR the game and watch it again but it sure looked like Saliba was just trying to keep his balance when Minney had fallen into him. Really the special teams were the difference in the weekend when you look at it.

                4. I agree with Pirateasaur, If they do decide to make a coaching change after this year the talent is there to win immediately.

                5. Remember there will be no students at Sunday's game so I would expect the crowd to be very small. I wouldn't be surprised if it was only 1/5 full.
                Last edited by gomsuman; 12-12-2016, 11:34 AM.

                Comment


                • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

                  Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                  Ed Minney has definitely arrived and that is a big relief.

                  Also, yes, the crowd Saturday was disappointing. Friday was much better, even if I don't believe for a moment the announced number.
                  I meant to say Gatt's absence was not helpful. And no I could not believe the 5,839 for Friday, but if that's PAID attendance, I think I'd rather hear the awful truth those ticket scanners could provide (you'd think).
                  Last edited by owslachief; 12-12-2016, 12:18 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

                    Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                    I meant to say Gatt's absence was not helpful. And no I could not believe the 5,839 for Friday, but if that's PAID attendance, I think I'd rather hear the awful truth those ticket scanners could provide (you'd think).
                    That Friday attendance had to a 'Paid' number. No way was that actual fanny's in the seats. And, TV announced the 'Attendance" number in the second period. So, that had to be a paid number.

                    As for the student section: They should go back to what they were called for decades before the arrival of tCHHCoMSU; and that is the Slap Shots. Not the "A Team". Talk about ego. The Izzone was kind of an organic coming together. Not some convoluted, made up, egotistic pipe dream.

                    Comment


                    • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

                      Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                      That Friday attendance had to a 'Paid' number. No way was that actual fanny's in the seats. And, TV announced the 'Attendance" number in the second period. So, that had to be a paid number.

                      As for the student section: They should go back to what they were called for decades before the arrival of tCHHCoMSU; and that is the Slap Shots. Not the "A Team". Talk about ego. The Izzone was kind of an organic coming together. Not some convoluted, made up, egotistic pipe dream.
                      I agree. I never like the student sections that name themselves after the coach. Obviously you should pick a name that you can for sure use for a long time... for instance a name that relates to the Arena or your mascot. Not a coach who could be gone after a few years..

                      Comment


                      • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

                        Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                        I agree. I never like the student sections that name themselves after the coach. Obviously you should pick a name that you can for sure use for a long time... for instance a name that relates to the Arena or your mascot. Not a coach who could be gone after a few years..
                        They'd need a "no-confidence" vote to rename themselves, since the current name was chosen with the group itself. All those long, long years ago.

                        Comment


                        • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

                          Northeastern tomorrow. They're 5-7-4 and though I haven't checked to see who they've played we should be competitive just based on record.

                          This game and the GLI will determine if it's even worth fighting for in the second half of the season or if it's better off tanking in the hopes of Anastos getting fired. Team certainly looks more competitive than last year, but still very possible we end the first half with just four wins.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                          1966, 1986, 2007

                          Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                          Comment


                          • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

                            Keep both Travis and Tyler Walsh in your thoughts today. Losing two very close loved ones in the space of 6 months is a rough deal.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                              Keep both Travis and Tyler Walsh in your thoughts today. Losing two very close loved ones in the space of 6 months is a rough deal.
                              Who did they lose? Thanks.

                              Comment


                              • Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

                                Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                                Who did they lose? Thanks.
                                Mom

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X