AHA Ups Scholarship Limit to 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Yeah, as far as I read, Union didn't choose to not give scholarships...they decided to play up after some transition point in the 80s and were not allowed, while Clarkson, RPI, CC and St. Lawrence were already playing up and grandfathered later to protect their scholarships in perpetuity. RIT falls in with Union as playing up too late in the process.
    According to earlier posts, Union could have added scholarships, but chose not to do so, whereas RIT was too late to Div 1 to add scholarships, unless I misread those posts.

Comment

Re: AHA Ups Scholarship Limit to 18

Originally posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
      You don't have to be American to be sponsored by a Senator. They accept talent worldwide, clearly he has more to offer than just hockey.

Actually, you do if you are a US Citizen. The Academy's do take International Students but hey are sponsored by their home countries and approved for admission to the academies. Renda happens to be from Montreal but holds dual citizenship (Canadian/US) so I'm not sure where the sponsorship came from.
      RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
        There are other Navy jobs that are critical. A civil engineer who owns his own firm sits across the hall from me and he built ships while in the Navy working at the shipyard. Never spent 1 day living at sea.

David majored in Math. Which is a hard science equally respected along the lines of engineering. He left the Navy as a Lieutenant JG. Probably would have worked in cryptography at a Navy HQ in case he got injured and couldn't play in the NBA.
        There are many Navy jobs that are critical and never see the inside of a Navy ship but f you're an officer and are looking to command in the Navy, you need to be a line officer and these jobs you speak of do not fall into that category. Robinson was given a staff position in an engineering role for the two years he was active/reserved status. From what I read, he was two inches over the height restriction when he applied but special consideration was given to him both upon his application and throughout his military career. WikiP says he thought about leaving due to his height and the fact atht he and the Academy Director wasn't sure he'd be commissioned. Don't get me wrong, he is an outstanding individual, both academically and in his sport. The Navy obviously saw this as a major marketing opportunity and the fact tat the Secretary of the Navy was involved in helping him, helping the Navy backs that up. Ask your 'across the hal'l engineer how staff officers wanting to move up in rank would take line positions on ships that had nothing to do with their real job just so they could get promoted. Lt. JG is just above Ensign in the Navy and in reality, doesn't carry much weight out in the field. Sure, they are officers but....meh.

Anyway, a hockey player who has the grades, motivation and willingness to sacrifice a few years of their lives defending this country has my respect and is more than welcome to play at Army or Air Force. Which by the way, has a 100 % lower tuition cost than any other hockey college in the US
        RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
          There are many Navy jobs that are critical and never see the inside of a Navy ship but f you're an officer and are looking to command in the Navy, you need to be a line officer and these jobs you speak of do not fall into that category. Robinson was given a staff position in an engineering role for the two years he was active/reserved status. From what I read, he was two inches over the height restriction when he applied but special consideration was given to him both upon his application and throughout his military career. WikiP says he thought about leaving due to his height and the fact atht he and the Academy Director wasn't sure he'd be commissioned. Don't get me wrong, he is an outstanding individual, both academically and in his sport. The Navy obviously saw this as a major marketing opportunity and the fact tat the Secretary of the Navy was involved in helping him, helping the Navy backs that up. Ask your 'across the hal'l engineer how staff officers wanting to move up in rank would take line positions on ships that had nothing to do with their real job just so they could get promoted. Lt. JG is just above Ensign in the Navy and in reality, doesn't carry much weight out in the field. Sure, they are officers but....meh.

Anyway, a hockey player who has the grades, motivation and willingness to sacrifice a few years of their lives defending this country has my respect and is more than welcome to play at Army or Air Force. Which by the way, has a 100 % lower tuition cost than any other hockey college in the US
          Oh, right, I was just pointing out that if he couldn't be an athlete, David Robinson was still accomplished academically for a good job in the field of Math for the Navy, one calling for a college/academy education and ergo, an officer's rank. A Mathematician job would have rendered his height a moot point anyway since it's an HQ job. No he probably couldn't have gotten to be a Commander or Captain on a ship but who knows what his goals were, certainly he could have served for 4-6 years after graduation honorably as an Lt at HQ then entered the private sector.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
            Actually, you do if you are a US Citizen. The Academy's do take International Students but hey are sponsored by their home countries and approved for admission to the academies. Renda happens to be from Montreal but holds dual citizenship (Canadian/US) so I'm not sure where the sponsorship came from.
            Ok, I stand corrected. So he's American, and got sponsored by Senator Sanders. Makes sense, Vermont and Quebec border each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              According to earlier posts, Union could have added scholarships, but chose not to do so, whereas RIT was too late to Div 1 to add scholarships, unless I misread those posts.
              You are correct. Prop 65 and the appropriate amendment was passed in 2004. The proposal would have prevented DIII schools that "play up" in other sports from offering scholarships in those sports. An amendment was passed that grandfathered in some schools that play DI sports, such as RPI, Clarkson, SLU, Colorado College and Johns Hopkins in lacrosse, among others. The proposal itself passed by a large margin, and RIT decided to elevate their program after, so they are prevented from offering athletic scholarships in hockey. Union voted for the proposal and against the amendment, but of course they give "need-based aid," (read: if you play hockey, you need it)

http://www.uscho.com/2004/01/12/scho...ay-up-schools/
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                You are correct. Prop 65 and the appropriate amendment was passed in 2004. The proposal would have prevented DIII schools that "play up" in other sports from offering scholarships in those sports. An amendment was passed that grandfathered in some schools that play DI sports, such as RPI, Clarkson, SLU, Colorado College and Johns Hopkins in lacrosse, among others. The proposal itself passed by a large margin, and RIT decided to elevate their program after, so they are prevented from offering athletic scholarships in hockey. Union voted for the proposal and against the amendment, but of course they give "need-based aid," (read: if you play hockey, you need it)

http://www.uscho.com/2004/01/12/scho...ay-up-schools/
                If you read the article, I was correct about Union, they've never been able to offer scholarships.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                X