X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2016 2017 season thread

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
    Oh Abbott was definitely correct. By UMaine or NCAA statute I suppose, it is a requirement for the coach to have a minimum Bachelor's Degree. I don't know that they have to have a Masters.
    It seems short sighted to me not to consider a guy with the qualifications this NHL individual had.
    Its an institution of higher learning. I can't imagine a head coach not having a masters. It used to be required and I assume it still is. Not sure if Ben is taking classes towards one but I'd bet he is?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Maine Hockey has s-o-m-e talent, just not enough to be an elite National or Hockey East team any more. Get one thing straight - I bleed Blue. I am loyal to Maine Hockey forever. Just currently very disillusioned..
      We all love Maine hockey, if we didn't we would have stopped paying attention a long time ago. Not sure tampering with other teams players is the way to go though

Yeah, they have some talent, I thought they did as good as can be expected this weekend. As a long time fan its disappointing its come to this.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        people still think Maine can get out of the first round in HE playoffs. I'd settle for them beating UMass this weekend and I doubt they get 4 points out of the weekend
        At the time Red was hired the expectations were still that Maine be a national program.

Comment

Maine Hockey has s-o-m-e talent, just not enough to be an elite National or Hockey East team any more.
          He will play if someone is hurt or out for some reason.
          That is an extreme but real example of what Red and the Maine Hockey program face. I say call the kid and ask him if he wants to transfer. He'll play 35-40 minutes a game in blue! He ain't playing in red.
          There is some genuine d1 level talent at Maine, I don't feel as though Maine's record reflects their level of talent, they should have more wins.
          A hockey team can have a bus full of talent, but without leadership its just that.

Certainly wouldn't a key recruiting technique by many D1 teams be to look to sell a player on getting ice time, helping to bring the level of talent on the team up, etc?
          Players must weigh this when they sign on, along with will the coaching staff develop them properly, is there sufficient talent on the team to challenge them day to day to get better, to keep the spot in the line up, not just if they get game time.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
            At the time Red was hired the expectations were still that Maine be a national program.
            I don't think those have changed with a majority of fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
              Players must weigh this when they sign on, along with will the coaching staff develop them properly, is there sufficient talent on the team to challenge them day to day to get better, to keep the spot in the line up, not just if they get game time.
              They do, but many opt to go to a school that has a recent, consistent history of sending players to the NHL. Even if they are not playing much, they feel as though they have a better chance of "riding the coat tails" aS opposed to getting "overlooked" at a "lesser" school. Remember, as much as we want to see loyalty, for a lot of these guys, college hockey is just a vehicle to get them to their ultimate goal of getting to the NHL.

Comment

Well as they say on any given night, any team can beat any team...@ Merrimack: Merrimack 3 BU 1 ...LaCouvee was in net for BU and not the young Freshman Oettinger. That's Hockey for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                  Well as they say on any given night, any team can beat any team...@ Merrimack: Merrimack 3 BU 1 ...LaCouvee was in net for BU and not the young Freshman Oettinger. That's Hockey for you.

Cause Maine tired them out?

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                    Cause Maine tired them out?
                    Maybe Merrimack is a better team than Maine.

Comment

Maybe both!!...or there thoughts were on the Bean Pot.

Comment

In HE, who isn't better than Maine

Comment

Thinking back to May 2013, there was actually a lot of interest in the job-

I personally proposed a 4-time Stanley Cup winner/Conn Smythe award winner to Steve Abbott. The guy is a friend of mine and had very sincere and real interest in the job. They had a conversation. Abbott told him "Sorry, you have to have a college degree to be considered." The guy says "Steve, I may not have a college degree, but I have a PhD in hockey. C'mon." No go.
                          I can't vouch for what you say, but, if it's true, Maine couldn't see the forest for the trees on that one.

Nobody in his right mind cares at all whether their hockey coach has a PhD after his name, or if he shot his way out of 4th grade. All anyone should care about is success on the ice. Everything else is window-dressing.

If we want exceptional players to consider going to Orono, then Maine has to find a way to present itself as a conduit to a professional career. It's doing a very poor job of that right now. Even Timmy regularly sprinkled his players onto the next level, but I don't see a single legit NHL prospect among Red's recruits. Not one.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-25-2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Game is on TV tonight. Not that anyone cares anymore

Comment

Working...
                            X