Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

2/5 of Niagara's wins all season came this weekend. Congrats to them, they deserved it with how RIT came into this weekend clearly already looking ahead to Army.
    RIT

Comment

Can coaching contracts be broken?

Comment

• I think Rotolo is a great DIII goalie but nothing more then 3rd string DI. If he was better the Tigers would have had way more wins then they did. He just couldn't come up with the saves the Tigers needed and going down 2 goals right out of the gate... I'm glad to see him graduate.
        R I T HOCKEY
        Frozen Four
        Elite Eight
        NCAA Tournament
        2010-2015-2016
        RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

• Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
          Really finishing 6th in the regular season followed by a first round exit is worth giving up a coach that got us to the D1 NCAA tournament 3 times of which two were back to back in the previous 2 seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by ritBLKnORGsuit View Post
            Really finishing 6th in the regular season followed by a first round exit is worth giving up a coach that got us to the D1 NCAA tournament 3 times of which two were back to back in the previous 2 seasons.
            And has also shown he doesn't really know how to right the ship when things get rough. His MO to fix things is "absolve myself of all blame and lump it all on the players because that's *totally* an effective leadership strategy".

Comment

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
              And has also shown he doesn't really know how to right the ship when things get rough. His MO to fix things is "absolve myself of all blame and lump it all on the players because that's *totally* an effective leadership strategy".
              His job in that area is to instill discipline and provide direction for the team. Everything I've seen makes me believe he did that. I don't see what more you want him to do short of jump on the ice and score a goal.
              RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

• Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
                His job in that area is to instill discipline and provide direction for the team. Everything I've seen makes me believe he did that. I don't see what more you want him to do short of jump on the ice and score a goal.
                Well that certainly would have been useful tonight....

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                  Down 2 goals less than 5 minutes in...at least we managed to control the bleeding for the rest of the period???
                  The contrast between Teichrob robbing Valenzula and whatever the hell the garbage their 1st goal was a minute later is stark. Rotolo picked a hell of a time to allow two of the softest goals I can remember. Frankly he looked lost on the 2nd one, too. If Mike's really the best goalie on the roster, to the point where Short can't even get on the ice, we better have a stud coming in :help:

Comment

• Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                    The contrast between Teichrob robbing Valenzula and whatever the hell the garbage their 1st goal was a minute later is stark. Rotolo picked a hell of a time to allow two of the softest goals I can remember. Frankly he looked lost on the 2nd one, too. If Mike's really the best goalie on the roster, to the point where Short can't even get on the ice, we better have a stud coming in :help:
                    We all agree that teams need a hot goalie as part of the formula to get to the BCA and win it. We got that last year when we got by AF to make it to the final against RMU. We were thankful that Mike got hot at the right time last year as well as Jordan the year before. It was a good run, next year we start from scratch in goal with a good nucleus of D men to support whomever the number one will be. If Teichrob plays the way he did last night against Canisius it will be an exciting series between him and Williams. After their terrible season it would be interesting to see if Burkie can get the Purple Eagles to the BCA. Canisius will not take Niagara lightly.
                    RPI Engineers
                    RIT Tigers
                    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

This was the most disappointing season in RIT history as they tie the team record for most losses. The team went from being the favorite to make the NCAA from Atlantic Hockey and possibly being able to possibly make noise in the NCAAs to being eliminated in the first round. Whether it was all the injuries that knocked the Tigers from near the top at the turn of the calendar year or Rotolo being overworked or something else there are no words to describe this meltdown.

I hope this loss leaves a sting in the minds of every returning player so that they work extra hard for next year. They can follow the new Patriot "motto" - No days off.

For those who want Coach fired - who do you think could do better that RIT could get?
                      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2010 Frozen Four participant
                      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Michael Holland (21) was the last one out on the ice last night. Niagara had gone in tunnel, RIT finished the Corner Crew salute and had begun going in the tunnel - Holland circled back to the center ice tiger logo and just stood there staring at it. He finally skated off into the tunnel. It was painful to watch, I really felt for him there. He did an interview this past week on it being his last year, he really wanted this one.

Honestly, he and Valenzuela were the only 2 players that stood out to me. Everyone seemed to play hard - but sloppy and unfocused. Valenzuela played his absolute heart out.

What a contrast between the 2 goalies in just a 1 day span. I've always been a fan of Mike's. He has the talent and the size for D1 - this just wasn't his year. Maybe it was the inconsistent Defense and the injuries to the Norri (plural for Norrish twins??), but last nights save % of 80% is disheartening to see. I feel bad for him that was the game he went out on. I hope he can get some ECHL play in.
                        It was Mike's night Saturday, and it was Teichroeb's night last night. In typical fashion, RIT piled on the shots, but this time they actually had some great chances. He was an absolute wall. I don't get it.

I almost feel like beating Mercyhurst so handly last week wasn't the best way to go.

On a positive note, whoever runs the PA system does a fantastic job with song selection.

RIT Hockey FB Group
                        Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                          I think Rotolo is a great DIII goalie but nothing more then 3rd string DI. If he was better the Tigers would have had way more wins then they did. He just couldn't come up with the saves the Tigers needed and going down 2 goals right out of the gate... I'm glad to see him graduate.
                          Agreed. Rotolo was capable of getting hot and winning games, but I can't think of a single game in 4 years he "stole" for RIT. He was never the guy you could trust to go out there and win a game despite everything else being in the other team's favor. He spent most of his career as an average goalie at best, and this year was decidedly below average. He finished the season with under a .900% which is just awful.

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
                          Though I don't think WW is perfect and I would agree he tends to scapegoat his players maybe a bit too much, I can't put the season on him. He had a subpar goalie all season and suffered long-term injuries to his two best defensemen, his best penalty killer (Skirving) as well as sporadic injuries to other key guys such as Valenzuela. At some point you run out of bodies to put in the lineup and some of those you are putting in simply are not as good as the guys they are replacing. RIT was near the top of the league prior to the Norrish's going down.

We can hope that being thrown into the fire like this as freshmen should lead to very good sophomore seasons particularly for the young D. But really all this team needs is a goalie that can stop 91-92% of shots and we'd have won a bunch more games - including Friday and/or Sunday.
                          RIT

Comment

Coach can't play the game for the guys and when injury bug hits a college team your options are really limited compared to a pro team. Real tough weekend for the team, and ****ty way for the seniors to leave their college careers.

I'm looking forward to getting the Norrish brothers back next year and continued improved in some of the guys in particular Venezuala. The freshmen defense got some good experience. Goaltending will be a question as it always is when the starter graduates
                            RIT Tigers
                            Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                            Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                            Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                              For those who want Coach fired - who do you think could do better that RIT could get?
                              You know, plenty of Bruins fans -- myself included -- tried using this exact argument before they fired Claude Julien. The fact that they're actually playing like a team under new HC Bruce Cassidy provides a good example of why such an argument isn't always a good one. I'm not saying it's always wrong, but it's definitely not always right either.

Honestly, I don't follow enough of the coaching changes at other schools to suggest an outside replacement. But we have other guys on the staff who could deserve a promotion. (I have heard Brian Hills is generally well-respected by the players)

Getting a generally forgettable senior class out will help too.

Comment

I can't blame Wayne on this, though I am a skeptic. He was hired as a DIII coach after all. I personally don't think Wayne is the man who can take this program to the next level. Just my opinion.

This season would be 100% different if the team had confidence in goal. Rotolo without fail always let in softies. He peaked is sophomore year and thank God we had Ruby who at the last minute got hot and become the goalie RIT recruited him to be.

With all the fire power RIT had and great defensivemen there is only one person to blame this season, and not to Rotolo's fault, he just wasn't good.
                                R I T HOCKEY
                                Frozen Four
                                Elite Eight
                                NCAA Tournament
                                2010-2015-2016
                                RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Working...
                                X