Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
    I don't see the scholarship situation changing any time soon without the athletic department being moved to all D1 (which I don't think will happen nor is a good idea anyway). I really do think the AHC will continue to slowly strangle RIT because they simply aren't compatible. Moving to the ECAC is our only salvation.
    Agreed and that is something that needs to be address at the highest levels at RIT.
    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
    The Mule
    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

While the league is demonstrably gaining more parity with the advancement from 12 scholarships to 14 scholarships a few years back, the jump in compete level from adding to a maximum of 18 scholarships will likely not be felt for another 4 to 6 years into the future. Many colleges in the AHA simply do not have the available funding to add a full complement of scholarships at one time, instead opting for potentially 1 additional scholarship per season over the next 4 to 5 years.

RIT is one of the best hockey programs in AHA at the moment, very large student population, extremely knowledgeable coaching staff and a phenomenal hockey facility on campus to market themselves. Not saying scholarship totals might not change that competitive landscape over time but RIT has a very solid foundation and has been quite impressive to date. The next 4 to 6 years will be interesting for AHA, from little brother to little brother coming of age.
      Last edited by Blitz; 02-21-2017, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I think it's an easy trap to fall into, and one that we all have succumbed to at one point including the coaches and players, to think that just because we have the nicest toys we have the best team. It's what happens on the ice that counts in the end.
        RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Just to correct Tommy's math (ties count as half win/half loss):
          50-47-13 = .513% winning percentage, not .4545%
          61-59-17 = .507% winning percentage, not .445%

Also, in the glass-half-full category, I think that last three recruiting classes have been very strong. There have been some real gems in each class.

It is interesting how those three classes match with the three seasons that the GPC has been open. Give credit where credit is due.
          Scott Biggar
          WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
          Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
            Conference they play in and especially no scholarships is hampering the program and a disturbing trend of other teams in the AHA getting much better and RIT staying the same.
            So the problem is that RIT isn't keeping up with an improving conference, and you think the solution is to move to an even tougher conference?

I think it's disingenuous to say RIT has "stayed the same", though. The team is, overall, bigger, stronger, and more talented than in the past. But I think they're missing a bit of the scrappiness, chemistry, and heart that previous teams had.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
              Also, in the glass-half-full category, I think that last three recruiting classes have been very strong. There have been some real gems in each class.

It is interesting how those three classes match with the three seasons that the GPC has been open. Give credit where credit is due.
              This is true. I've never been big on the current senior class. They're good but not great. Cameron, Smith, and Skirving can score but they never stepped up to lead the team. McMullen and Holland have been reliable but not game-changers. I admire Perron-Fontaine's flexibility and persistence but he's also rarely been a difference maker. And we all know what Rotolo's pros and cons are. It's not a bad class, just not a great one.

Let's face it, though -- if Skirving, Valenzuela, and the Norrishes were healthy, we're probably sitting in a bye slot right now. (Heck, if we just didn't blow a 5-0 lead against Robert Morris, we'd be one point behind them for fourth place.)

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                So the problem is that RIT isn't keeping up with an improving conference, and you think the solution is to move to an even tougher conference?

I think it's disingenuous to say RIT has "stayed the same", though. The team is, overall, bigger, stronger, and more talented than in the past. But I think they're missing a bit of the scrappiness, chemistry, and heart that previous teams had.

Powers &8^]
                How moving from the AHA (was the MAAC at the time) work for Quinnipiac? Look at UCONN. Changing conferences clearly brought in a higher sought recurt. Unless they had a first round draft pick and one of the better player on the World Juniors team I the past I forgot about...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Thomas M. Naeger
                The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
                  Just to correct Tommy's math (ties count as half win/half loss):
                  50-47-13 = .513% winning percentage, not .4545%
                  61-59-17 = .507% winning percentage, not .445%

I did not know that about winning percentage so thanks for the correction.

I do agree with you that there been some real gems in the last 3 classes and I think some people are selling Cameron short this year. As I said not trying to be doom and gloom but there is a bit of a disturbing pattern here. However, it could just be an off throw away year. A great year next year could change things a lot. And never know maybe we will be surprised by this team yet.

I am not try to be half empty or full just face reality. And it just is frustrating when you feel at times that there are those behind the scenes drinking the Kool-aid when you got kids and coaches working there tails off to be something.

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule

Comment

I've never seen a team at RIT with high expectations like this one stumble so badly.
                    I'd place the '04-'05 team ahead of this one. After the series at St. Norbert's early that season, it was thought that this team was going to battle for the National Championship. As we all so painfully remember, from the moment of the D-I announcement onwards, the team spiraled out of control until the completely unforgettable and inexcusable collapse at home against Elmira (the ECAC-W loss was just icing on the cake - quite forgettable). Although I am usually reluctant to use injuries as an excuse, the facts are that that team did not have anywhere near the injury problems as this '16-'17 Tigers team has. They just fell apart all on their own.

One other perspective on this team is that the unbalanced schedule certainly didn't work in their favor this year. Three of the four teams the Tigers had to play 4 times were #1 Canisius (0-4), #2 Air Force (0-4), and #4 RMU (2-2). That's 8 losses to the two best teams and 10 to the top four (2-0 vs Army) teams in the conference. Not the best luck of the draw on that one. They're 12-7 against the #3 through #11 teams. Really not all that bad, overall. I firmly believe that if they were at least close to full strength in the second half of the season, they would not have been swept again by CC and AFA. They've always (until this season) had that habit of getting better as the season progressed, and those initial sweeps to CC and AFA were all very close games (3 by 1 goal and one by 2 with an ENG included). A healthy team finishes in the top four, easily. Top two would have been unlikely, but a bye wouldn't have been much of a question.
                    Can't we all just get along?
                    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

RIT associate head coach Brian Hills is going to be on the air live at about 4:15 p.m. here: http://theteam.fm/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                        RIT associate head coach Brian Hills is going to be on the air live at about 4:15 p.m. here: http://theteam.fm/
                        Thanks for the heads up Ed. Just listened to Brian and bookmarked to listen to future interviews.
                        RPI Engineers
                        RIT Tigers
                        ARMY Black Knights

Comment

As far as the 0 ties goes, I went back and looked - it's only happened 3 times in the history of the AHA.
                          Bentley 06/07
                          Sacred Heart & Army 13/14

Good team this year, not "great" per se as in years past - but I think just plain bad luck really hurt us with injuries and points from ties.

RIT Hockey FB Group
                          Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

Again honestly, I dont think people truly realize how crucial the Norrish twins are. They are possibly the best two offensive defense players RIT has ever had (yes Tanev I know) and their physical play for neither guy being particularly what you would call big is unparalleled. RIT misses their speed badly on defense - I have watched forwards blow by our freshmen defense time and time again the last 10 games. With having one of them out there almost every shift, it makes an enormous difference on both defense AND offense alike. Unfortunately their level of physical play combined with having as much speed as anyone in D 1 gives high injury risk. I hope they get healthy and can have a full senior season. Nevertheless, the Tigers have had opportunities to win where they have played poorly. Undisciplined penalties cost them some wins for sure. The second period in last Friday's game against Air Force was the best I have seen them play all year - they had them completely on their heels and playing frantic scared hockey for a bit. So, I know this team is still capable of more. Look forward to them playing home in first round hopefully and then going to Canisius (and not Air Force!) to get another crack at them and their wall of a goaltender.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                              You know in that interview was part of what makes me so frustrated when Hills was ask about how they have to recruit at a disadvantage. We certainly have seen some great players in the last few years, but when I stop and compare a Tyler Brenner, Cameron Burt, Simon Lambert, Dan Ringwald and Chris Tanev to a Matt Garbosky, Myles Powell, Erik Brown, and the Norris Twins I don't see a big increase. Not saying they are not great players, I love the guys. Now as Wayne Wilson said the bar has been set high so it's tough, but it's even tougher given the lay of the land he and his coaches have to play by. They work their ***** off and have done an unbelievable job to get this far. I'd like to see an administration step up and help them really take this program to the next level...

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule

Comment

I'd like to see an administration step up and help them really take this program to the next level...
                                In your mind what more can the administration do?
                                RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Working...
                                X