Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Have to agree fully, very strong defense pairings coupled with good goaltending down the stretch when it matters most.

Comment

Other than one year where Jordan Ruby found himself, The Tigers have been a long way of having a guy like Shane Madalora in nets. I feel for Rotolo though. His numbers are not his fault as much of a result just horrible defensive play. As I've said many times on there, I don't think he will steal a game for you, but Mike is good enough to get you there with a good team. Even the best goaltender would be struggling with this group. RIT simply is not as deep as they've been in years past on the Blue line. Some of the upper classmen who needed to step up with the Norrish Twins out have struggled, to but it nicely. I am still lost in understanding Coach Wilson's handling of the goaltenders this year. Yeah Short has been anything but impressive in his starts, but there been so few. I really thought he made a mistake letting Rotolo take so many games early, barring something that I don't know. Even the best coaches have off years, this maybe one for our coaching staff. Nothing they say seems to stop the sloppy and boneheaded plays. This was all stuff that was brewing well before all the injuries happen, and now has just snow balled into a complete disaster. Wilson said this team is fragile and it is, but it also in free fall. I've seen disappointing RIT teams in my 19 years around RIT Hockey. But I never remember on pick to win their conference spiral to the point that you wonder if they will win another game...
      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
      The Mule
      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
        What has it been giving RIT success in the previous two seasons? Goaltending has been below average since those days as well. Was our offensive brute-force simply able to cover up these other flaws?
        I will slightly disagree with the assertion that goaltending has been below average for both of the last two seasons. Jordan Ruby was fantastic for most of the 2014-15 season and really shined brightest through the Tigers' playoff run to the second round of the NCAA's. Maybe it was the fans' love affair with Mike Rotolo or their view being tarnished by Jordan's mediocre performances prior to that season, but people still seem to forget how good his numbers were that year (except for the Win-Loss record due to the team not scoring him any goals). Maybe not quite Madolora numbers, but very good nonetheless.

I think last year they just found a way to score enough to win despite choking away many chances. I think the team was good enough to have blown out a lot of the opponents that they only beat by 1 or 2 goals. Plus I wouldn't exactly say that the goaltending was below average last season, at least when Rotolo was in net. Short and Amato on the other hand...
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

I think the word I was looking for in terms of goaltending is consistency. I would rather have a goalie that makes all the saves he should each night and gives the team confidence he will back them up than one that goes on streaks and can either steal a game or lose it.
          RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
            I think the word I was looking for in terms of goaltending is consistency. I would rather have a goalie that makes all the saves he should each night and gives the team confidence he will back them up than one that goes on streaks and can either steal a game or lose it.
            From that perspective, Rotolo has been fine. He lets in a bad one now and then but by and large he makes the saves he should make. He just rarely makes saves he shouldn't make. And he was good enough to get us to the NCAA's last year.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
              And he was good enough to get us to the NCAA's last year.
              Powers &8^]
              The Tigers got him 7 goals to work with in the AHC Championship game. Offense got them to the NCAA tournament.
              To be fair though, he held Mercyhurst and Air Force to 1 goal in each of the prior three games in that tournament. He had to be pretty darn good to get us to the Finals. He's capable of making those saves that he "shouldn't" make. He just doesn't do it night in and night out.
              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                The Tigers got him 7 goals to work with in the AHC Championship game. Offense got them to the NCAA tournament.
                To be fair though, he held Mercyhurst and Air Force to 1 goal in each of the prior three games in that tournament. He had to be pretty darn good to get us to the Finals. He's capable of making those saves that he "shouldn't" make. He just doesn't do it night in and night out.
                It's a team sport, everybody has to do their job for the 60 minutes their on the ice. They just haven't been doing it well this year. Hopefully the future gets brighter for the team.
                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1_uBuHFFTs

A certain Air Force Coach thought Mike was pretty dang good in the AHA semi last year. In fairness to him, I think we've gotten about everything we could have hoped for and more out of him. We need other guys to step up...
                  Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule
                  Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    I apologize for not being clear. By "get us to the NCAA's", I was referring to the entire tournament, not solely the AHC championship.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Just got to get hot at the right time. I got a feeling the end of the regular season will not be pretty for RIT and maybe coach knows this too and can work it to RITs advantage. Having some bad losses down the stretch might be a good formula for a healthier RIT showing up for the playoffs in a foul mood and wanting to represent a school that has won the last two championships. I would of wanted the 5th spot as I think getting the bye but being on the road is also a good formula for RIT, it's possible , but the stars will have to align just right to get them that bye..
                      RPI Engineers
                      RIT Tigers
                      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

What's the over/under on how bad tonight's going to be?

Comment

Story on WHEC TV 10 on Todd Skirving:
                          http://www.whec.com/news/todd-skirvi...90017/?cat=565

Comment

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
                            What's the over/under on how bad tonight's going to be?
                            According to the preview, Brady Norrish will be back in tonight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agpkjHcS0cg

Maybe he'll be the catalyst to get the team clicking again...
                            RIT Tigers

Comment

Took all of 30 seconds for RMU to get called for a dirty boarding penalty...
                              RIT Tigers

Comment

Looks like its another parade to the penalty box for the Tigers... 8 straight halfway through the game is going to be this team's undoing...
                                RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                                X