Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

I was actually so miffed last weekend that I picked RIT to get swept this weekend. I felt pretty dumb after last night but now I'm thinking I was not too far off with my thoughts that this team is a bit off and maybe this year will be an early exit from the playoffs. Definitely seem to be sleepwalking through the regular season. Don't know if coach plays poker but maybe the regular season does not mean much in terms of battling for the league championship but is more about character building and getting the team geared up for the playoffs. On paper this is a very good team, one if not the best in the league, that superior talent though doesn't consistently manifest itself on the ice. I suppose that is the challenge of being a college hockey coach, getting the players up for every game, these kids are studs though, you'd think they would be busting out of the gate every chance they get if they have any aspirations of playing at the next level.
    RPI Engineers
    RIT Tigers
    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• I really can't figure this team out. 😂
      R I T HOCKEY
      Frozen Four
      Elite Eight
      NCAA Tournament
      2010-2015-2016
      RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
        He has never had stellar stats. He wins games when the team scores for him, which they did quite often back when he platooned with Ruby. Now the job is his alone and the Tigers have the schizophrenic nature of either scoring very few or a lot of goals per game. For the most part, he loses the former and wins the latter. He very occasionally steals a win or tie, but not all that often.
        Madolora had more shutouts each season he was a starter (6 in 2010-11, 7 in 2011-12) than Rotolo has in his career - and he has been starting a good number of games each year since he was a freshmen.

Like just about any goalie Rotolo can get hot and win us some games, and he managed to get us to the NCAAs last year doing just that. But as an every game starter his numbers are just not acceptable in a program of RIT's caliber. I'm not going to allow them the excuse of "well the AHC is better than ever" because goalies all around the league are doing considerably better - even on demonstrably worse teams. Mike is lucky he's 1) from the area and 2) has apparently no legitimate backup threatening him.
        RIT

Comment

At this point I think it's pretty clear who Mike Rotolo is. Which is a spirited goaltender, who makes most of the Saves he should. I will say the suspect goals are normally not outrageous. So in short he gives you a chance to win if you play a good game in front of him. If you do not play a good game in front of him the probability of winning is low. That has been a calming influence on what has been a roller coaster ride of goaltenders since Madalora departed from RIT. I am stunned by the news or lack their of on Christian Short. But that's been well discussed on here and I am convinced their is something more there that will not become Public. So for better or worst Rotolo is the man in nets that will take this roller coaster team as far as it will go...
          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
          The Mule
          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Here's what I think. The Tigers have more than enough skill to win, and win big, when the other team fails to put in an A+ effort. But when the other team is superior in either effort or skill, the Tigers have trouble matching it. That explains the second Robert Morris game and the second games against Sacred Heart and AIC: those teams were desperate and embarrassed after the previous nights and came out firing on all cylinders. That put the Tigers back on their heels and they didn't know how to respond. It also explains the non-conference games: superior opponents used to putting out that kind of effort every night, and RIT couldn't respond by elevating their own game.

The real question is why. There are players on this team who beat Mankato in 2015. They should know how to push beyond that plateau. But they still seem stymied by a team that's playing aggressively.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I really see consistent sloppy/dumb play as a major issue on this team. You are going to get sloppy at times during a long season but we see the same mistakes way to often. Poor Breakouts and lapses in defensive coverage, and blatantly dumb penalties. When the other team take advantage of it we are typically in for a frustrating night. If you look at last weekend, I thought neither team played that great either night. Going back to RMU I think you saw what they could do when you gave them opportunity after opportunity on the power play. This year in non-conference play you see it adds up to a complete inability to win. In conference, there still are a lot of teams that they can get away with playing like that, but still makes a lot of games close. The talent gap has closed considerably in AHA play. They are definitely not going anywhere if they make it to the NCAAs playing like the have.

I an not accustomed to seeing a Wayne Wilson coach team this sloppy at times. The bar has he has said many times is high at RIT. But many of the guys who have been here and been part of both Championship seasons are on the list of sloppy play. No excuses at this point, just gave to go out and play solid hockey...

Thomas M. Naeger
              The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

I was afraid for Saturday night because the when the Tigers usually win walking away on Friday, they come out flat on Saturday. They continue this trend I'm sad to say. The rest of the series this season will play a big part of where they end up for the play-offs. Canisius has what I believe is the easiest schedule and will probably pull into first place in the near future. Tigers better figure it out or they may be playing in the first round of the play-offs, even on the road at that.

As far as Rotolo, he plays an average game in net. Certainly not the best goalie the Tigers have had in the last five years but the team can win if the D can get the puck out of the zone.
                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Stupid question from someone who doesn't know much about hockey: Given how many shots they've gotten against Canisius and the average number of goals they've given up against them, what else can the Tigers do to beat Canisius? You can't really say "shoot more". Do we really need to pitch a shutout to get a win?

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                    Stupid question from someone who doesn't know much about hockey: Given how many shots they've gotten against Canisius and the average number of goals they've given up against them, what else can the Tigers do to beat Canisius? You can't really say "shoot more". Do we really need to pitch a shutout to get a win?

Powers &8^]

Shot selection. You can make any goalie look like a god by shooting everything from way out with no screen. The key to winning this game was getting pucks deep and taking away Williams' eyes. Neither of which they did effectively.
                    RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Canisius looks like a team on the way up. RIT looks like a team goin' nowhere.

The second and third tonight were completely void of anything appearing to be heart or grit or drive from RIT, whereas Canisius came out swinging after the intermission.
                      RIT

Comment

Charles Williams made some good saves to keep the Griffs in the game in the first. After that maybe 1 or two of the remaining 29 shots were difficult. Give Canisius credit they just play a defensive shell and invite you to beat yourself and RIT is very good at that these days. I thought their first period was good, but same old when you think things are alright, they turn around and play a horrible second period. The Sloppy play was so bad it made me barely care that one of the refs decided to take the night off. Third was just heartless. I know guys are out of the lineup, but the only way out of this mess is all out effort. RIT is just not good at hockey right now. Is Canisius going anywhere, I don't know. Maybe if they play their defensive game and things bounce just right for them they can sneak away with the AHA tournament and most likely get smoked by Penn State, Duluth, Denver, or BU. But I could care less about them. More concern about a team that was built to win a third title, but has gone from me just hoping they make Blue Cross, to me just hoping they get a first round bye, to me saying maybe they will get a first round playoff home series. In about 3 weeks...

Thomas M. Naeger
                        The Mule

Comment

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
                          The key to winning this game was getting pucks deep and taking away Williams' eyes. Neither of which they did effectively.
                          Well sure. And we can assume the team knows this. They certainly were trying to do so. "Try harder" seems insufficient as a solution.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I think tonight is about as close to a must win as we've seen all season. Just to feel good about themselves. As beat up as they are it will be a tall order.
                            RPI Engineers
                            RIT Tigers
                            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Who is out of the lineup due to injuries?
                              R I T HOCKEY
                              Frozen Four
                              Elite Eight
                              NCAA Tournament
                              2010-2015-2016
                              RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                                I think tonight is about as close to a must win as we've seen all season. Just to feel good about themselves. As beat up as they are it will be a tall order.

Tonight's a must win just to keep pace with the top four. A win would get them out of that three-way tie for 3rd they are currently in and should do wonders for their confidence.
                                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Working...
                                X