Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
    TWC just showed the Friday night game down this way so it was good to watch the 3-1 win. Just starting the rebroadcast of the Saturday game which I'll watch too. I know we expect so much from this team, most of us are crushed when they lose. We are two times defending tournament champs, are we expecting too much? We all agree that the teams are tightly bunched this year yet we expect nothing less than a sweep at home when we play someone below us in the standings. I think I'm going to calibrate myself for a bumpy ride the rest of the way. Hoping for home ice for the playoffs. Hoping all the boys nursing nagging bruises and injuries will be ready to go come playoff time.
    I'm never upset with a loss when the team gives a solid effort, regardless who it's against. What is disappointing though is when the effort is low. I'd be fine with the weekend result if Sacred Heart found a way to win a hard fought game, but its all too common that RIT simply hands over the keys at home and doesn't show up. (The team's sub-par performance at home these last few seasons doesn't help attendance either.)

We all agree this team has huge potential, but so far they have rarely played up to it.
    RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

On Friday night I said that "they kind of earned 2 points tonight. By the end of the weekend RIT was lucky to get 2 points this weekend. Worst weekend I've seen since Canisius and probably be a similar result if the team was further up the standings. I wish I could just point to one area, but besides goaltending RIT simply was sloppy all weekend.

You really were hoping for sweeps this weekend and next against teams at the bottom end of the standings before starting stretch run that will see them play many quality teams. Yes as the head coach has said in the past, the bar has been set high, but there is no doubt in my mind this team is a playing behind their talent level at this point. if something doesn't change this team will not make it back to Blue Cross if they play a weekend like they did this weekend.
      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
      The Mule
      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
        I'm never upset with a loss when the team gives a solid effort, regardless who it's against. What is disappointing though is when the effort is low. I'd be fine with the weekend result if Sacred Heart found a way to win a hard fought game, but its all too common that RIT simply hands over the keys at home and doesn't show up. (The team's sub-par performance at home these last few seasons doesn't help attendance either.)

We all agree this team has huge potential, but so far they have rarely played up to it.
        While I agree with your sentiments for the most part, to say they have "rarely" played up to it is a little much. Prior to the SHU series, they had won 5 AHC games in a row. I would lean more towards "not consistently".
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by ken66 View Post
          ... RIT had real trouble getting the puck out of their zone.
          That was frustrating to watch. From the outset of the first game it was clear that the SHU forecheckers were going to be relentless and stay right in the face of the Tigers when they gained possession in their own zone. It seemed to take the Tigers quite some time to acknowledge this fact. While being chased, they acted as though if they kept pulling back that eventually the forecheck would abate. The Pioneers wouldn't even stop when the D would carry the puck behind their own net. They were doing their best to force the Tigers to have to try and make a play. It worked more often than not, even in the second game when one would figure they should have known better.
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Crunch some numbers at lunch. Came to conclusion that this team is about where it was last year. I think many, including myself, expected them to be in a better position this season.

Last year at this time the Tigers were 7-4-1 in Conference. As opposed to the 9-6-0 they are now. If you extend out the schedule to compensate for the discrepancy in Games played it comes out to 19 points. So you could say they are only 1 point off their pace from last year. But two problems. Last year the Tigers still had 3 series against teams in the bottom of the standings. This season they only have one such series, maybe you could argue two if you want to throw Bentley in there, but I think they are much better than the other 3 teams below them. They have scored 4 more goals at this time than last year and surrender 5 less goals.

While I would not be too critical of him, Mike Rotolo stats are far from dazzling. 9-11-1, 2.60 GAA with a save percentage .896%. RIT Opponents even in conference have a better save percentage than Rotolos. The PK is killer for RIT, .833 in conference. A .270 for power play hides it a little.

Thomas M. Naeger
            The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
              While I would not be too critical of him, Mike Rotolo stats are far from dazzling. 9-11-1, 2.60 GAA with a save percentage .896%. RIT Opponents even in conference have a better save percentage than Rotolos.
              He has never had stellar stats. He wins games when the team scores for him, which they did quite often back when he platooned with Ruby. Now the job is his alone and the Tigers have the schizophrenic nature of either scoring very few or a lot of goals per game. For the most part, he loses the former and wins the latter. He very occasionally steals a win or tie, but not all that often.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                He has never had stellar stats. He wins games when the team scores for him, which they did quite often back when he platooned with Ruby. Now the job is his alone and the Tigers have the schizophrenic nature of either scoring very few or a lot of goals per game. For the most part, he loses the former and wins the latter. He very occasionally steals a win or tie, but not all that often.
                You really nailed it there, it just a year of weird extremes for the Tigers. Honestly it leaves you puzzled and none of it makes very much sense. However, I think every man in that room would be kidding themselves if they did not admit to themselves that they are better than their record is right now. And they have to get there Sh!# together soon if they want to repeat the last two years. This is going to be one of the toughest stretch runs I can remember them playing...

Thomas M. Naeger
                The Mule

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                  You really nailed it there, it just a year of weird extremes for the Tigers. Honestly it leaves you puzzled and none of it makes very much sense. However, I think every man in that room would be kidding themselves if they did not admit to themselves that they are better than their record is right now. And they have to get there Sh!# together soon if they want to repeat the last two years. This is going to be one of the toughest stretch runs I can remember them playing...
                  It's that darn pre-season pole prediction jinx of being predicted to win the league. I would of been happier with a prediction of finishing 3rd or 4th. I also think they have a little bit of a target on their backs too being champs the last two years. The Tigers are not sneaking up on anyone. All AHA teams get up for them.
                  RPI Engineers
                  RIT Tigers
                  ARMY Black Knights

Comment

So....halfway there to a good weekend Hopefully they do it again this afternoon.
                    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

5-0. It's great to get the shutout no matter what team it is.
                      R I T HOCKEY
                      Frozen Four
                      Elite Eight
                      NCAA Tournament
                      2010-2015-2016
                      RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Fresh off the radio, the next three homecoming opponents:

2017: Northeastern
                        2018: Colgate
                        2019: Notre Dame

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                          It's that darn pre-season pole prediction jinx of being predicted to win the league. I would of been happier with a prediction of finishing 3rd or 4th. I also think they have a little bit of a target on their backs too being champs the last two years. The Tigers are not sneaking up on anyone. All AHA teams get up for them.
                          The talent the team had coming back and coming in fully justified the poll. But yes the inconsistent play make them look like a 3rd or 4th place team at times. Here we are again after a full game effort last night, they start okay and then seem to hit a road block. Need another great 3rd period to get at least a point to cap this weekend.

I am really getting tired of seeing them lose battles along the board...

Thomas M. Naeger
                          The Mule

Comment

Copy and paste my comments from last weekend.
                            RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Quick reaction comments:

1) This team is a inconsistent sloppy mess right now, I am a little worry if they can make it to Blue Cross or not, much less defend their back to back title. They just get to dam sloppy to often

2) What does it take to get this team to hear the message shot the puck and hit the neck for second chances

3) Why on the PK are the forwards never getting above the circles?

4) Not blaming Rotolo I still think he is their most consistent Performer (honorable mention to Brown). But to make my self feel better for defending them, remember 4-5 years ago when people wanted to run Ruby and Watson out of campus?? Look at save percentages...

Ruby in 2013-2014 .892%

2012-2013

Ruby .911%
                              Watson .905%

This season update with today's AIC game

Rotolo .896%

God being from Rochester makes a difference...

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule

Comment

Sigh. Story of the season so far: a strong showing followed by crushing disappointment. The engine turns over but it won't start. Maybe a solenoid? Whatever the hockey equivalent is, I think ours is broken.

Comment

Working...
                                X