Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Originally posted by Chris Lerch View Post
    I don't get why news sources don't try to distinguish themselves from the pack by covering stuff no one else is covering. Is the D&C Bills coverage superior to the Buffalo news, or NFL.com or ESPN? It's not, so why devote resources to teams covered by everyone? No one else is covering Rochester high school and college sports. No one else is covering the Red Wings and Amerks. I suppose I am wrong about this because I assume people are more discerning than they really are, and would realize that there is loads of national coverage of the Bills and what they get in Rochester is derivative.
    Agreed. It's a mystery.
    I think they're flailing around and don't know exactly what to do to stay afloat.
    Some focus group or survey somewhere told them that the Bills and Orange sell papers and increase website hits, so they just keep it coming.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Tigers pick up another defenseman for 2018-2019 in Zack Salloum of the CCHL Cumberland Grads.

Here is the press release: http://centraljuniorhockeyleague.ca/...ws/news_466396
      John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
      AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
      AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
      NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
      NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
      NCAA DII - 1983
      NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
        Tigers pick up another defenseman for 2018-2019 in Zack Salloum of the CCHL Cumberland Grads.

Here is the press release: http://centraljuniorhockeyleague.ca/...ws/news_466396
        Looks like the coaching staff is really going all in on this "offensive defensemen" build.
        RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
          Looks like the coaching staff is really going all in on this "offensive defensemen" build.
          Every D that is coming in is a point machine. Salloum is currently leading all Day in the CCLEANER in points, and lead at the end of last season as well. This is his 3rd year in Jr's so it surprises me he's going to spend another season before starting with the tigers.

Also on the recruiting vein, defenseman Reagan seiferling (17-18) and goalie Logan Drake to are playing for Canada west in the Jr A challenge. Seifert in had 2 assists in a 6-2 Winn over the Swiss. Drake to didn't play.
          John Nabors

NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
          NCAA DII - 1983

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            I do too; I just wish someone in the media would ask the coach about it when he or she has a chance.

Powers &8^]
            The media that covers RIT hockey generally doesn't press on an issue like that this one. Generally they seem to consider it not fair to the student athlete. If they asked him anyways he'd probably give some variation of a "Best for the team" answer.

With two goaltenders inked for next year, both with impressive numbers and one has a few league awards, I think the situation is pretty clear by now. It unnerving to say the least, Rotolo did not have his best weekend by far, but when it comes playoff time he is the work horse, and he is not going to get a lot of rest. I just hope someone like Lester Lancaster doesn't find Rotolo between now and the end of the year...
            Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
            The Mule
            Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
              ad

This is not a new trend. RIT has consistently had offensive defensemen.
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                This is not a new trend. RIT has consistently had offensive defensemen.
                We used to, but we went through a few years where we didn't get much offensive production from our best blueliners. I'm thinking of Spivak, Descoteaux, Raibl, and Kuqali.

Powers &8^]

Comment

We used to, but we went through a few years where we didn't get much offensive production from our best blueliners. I'm thinking of Spivak, Descoteaux, Raibl, and Kuqali.

Powers &8^]
                  You comparing Apples to Oranges. Just because someone scored a bunch in Juniors doesn't mean they are going to score a bunches in the NCAA. Max Mikowski comes to mind, he clicked at about 0.74 points a game in the OJHL but only produces about 0.11 points a game for RIT. This is in now way saying Max is a bad player, he has settled in to being a decent checker for RIT. Descoteaux was the same, 0.88 PPG in Juniors. Kuqali actually is the one exception he actually scored more in College than he did in Juniors. I certainly liked Raible and Spivak but they were no where close to the best blue liners on their teams. Descoteaux is a bit of a stretch too.

I do think we are seeing the benefits of the new arena combine with the ongoing success of the program to bring in a higher level recruit. When this program went DI Wayne couldn't get the best players, he was looking for the right ones. Diamonds in the ruff, or players like Shane Madolora who had to sit out a year before he played. RIT is becoming even more so a place a high skilled hockey player would want to be at and a lot of these recruits would not have consider RIT in the past
                  Last edited by Tom Naeger; 12-20-2016, 03:24 PM.

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                    I do think we are seeing the benefits of the new arena combine with the ongoing success of the program to bring in a higher level recruit. When this program went DI Wayne couldn't get the best players, he was looking for the right ones. Diamonds in the ruff, or players like Shane Madolora who had to sit out a year before he played. RIT is becoming even more so a place a high skilled hockey player would want to be at and a lot of these recruits would not have consider RIT in the past
                    The fact that we have a pretty much full class for next year (2-G, 2-D, 3-F), and 3 (Salloum, Kozlowski, & Calverly) already set for '18-'19 goes right along with this. Heck pretty soon we'll be like the "real" D1 programs and start signing kids out of middle school.

The 2 goalies coming in next year are in the CJHL top 5 statistically across all the Canadian leagues. Drackett made the Jr A Challenge and won the one game he played for Canada West. Andriano didn't make the Canada East team, but is leading the CCHL. Both are playing big minutes for the second year in a row, and are on playoff caliber teams.
                    John Nabors

NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                    NCAA DII - 1983

Comment

Some press on Zach Salloum: http://hockeynow.ca/junior/cumberlan...up-big-numbers
                      John Nabors

NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                      NCAA DII - 1983

Comment

His critics have been telling Salloum, who grew an inch over the summer and is now listed at 5-foot-9 and 175 pounds, that he’s not big enough to be playing defence for an elite-level hockey team.

...Despite his size, Salloum has blossomed into a solid CCHL blueliner. Last season he led all defencemen in the league in scoring
                        Chris Tanev is that you?
                        RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                          You comparing Apples to Oranges. Just because someone scored a bunch in Juniors doesn't mean they are going to score a bunches in the NCAA.
                          I don't know what you're talking about. I didn't say anything about Juniors. I don't pay any attention to a d-man's goal production in juniors.

All I'm saying is that between Ringwald and the Norrishes we've had several top-pairing d-men whose strength was 'staying at home' and not scoring. That's it.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I don't know what you're talking about. I didn't say anything about Juniors. I don't pay any attention to a d-man's goal production in juniors.

All I'm saying is that between Ringwald and the Norrishes we've had several top-pairing d-men whose strength was 'staying at home' and not scoring. That's it.

Powers &8^]
                            The comment really came from kwm4385 comment "Looks like the coaching staff is really going all in on this "offensive defensemen" build". The point I was trying to make was that player's game can change from Juniors to College. You set me up for that case. I really should have said something like looking at the whole picture. Sorry about the confusion on that...

Thomas M. Naeger
                            The Mule

Comment

FYI...

Can watch tonight's game for about $9 at https://portal.stretchinternet.com/wcha/

Tom

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                                FYI...

Can watch tonight's game for about $9 at https://portal.stretchinternet.com/wcha/

Tom
                                Flat. Listening to Coaches post game with our radio guys sounds like Wayne was disappointed in how the team played in that first period. Yes, there was a layoff but that was no excuse for the tentative play and being down 2-0 after one. BG had a layoff too and just dominated the Tigers in the first period. In the meantime congrats RoMo for beating Q-Pac (and Ferris State the night before) and for Army playing to a spirited draw with Dartmouth.
                                RPI Engineers
                                RIT Tigers
                                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Working...
                                X