Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Mercyhurst 5, Canisius 1

I guess this means RIT should just try and avoid Canisius in the playoffs. I am very surprised at that scoreline.
    R I T HOCKEY
    Frozen Four
    Elite Eight
    NCAA Tournament
    2010-2015-2016
    RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
      Mercyhurst 5, Canisius 1

I guess this means RIT should just try and avoid Canisius in the playoffs. I am very surprised at that scoreline.
      Was close after the first two periods (2-1). Got away from Canisius in the third with two quick ones for Hurst almost half way through and then an empty netter. Just goes to show how tight Atlantic Hockey will be this year and how playing your best hockey at the end of the year will be critical to any team hoping to get to the BCA and having a chance of taking this years championship. I for one would not be surprised to see any of the eleven teams in Atlantic Hockey at the BCA, it's just that close.
      RPI Engineers
      RIT Tigers
      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by RITFan67 View Post
        The Rochester D&C reporting left something to be desired this past weekend.
        1) "Sports on TV" no longer lists the home RIT games on TW Ch. 26
        2) Saturday's article mistakenly did not mention the home game to be played that night, but instead said the next game would be Wed. at Mercyhurst
        3) Sunday's article writer forgot about the Mercyhurst game, but mentioned the game after that instead as being the next game.
        4) Sunday's article gave total credit for the OT goal to Powell, not saying he tipped it, but saying he initiated the shot.... no mention of the laser shot from Brubacher.
        Oh, and I have to blame RIT for this one... they have apparently decided not to advertise home RIT hockey games in the D&C any longer. I have yet to see one ad.
        They recently announced that they will no longer assign reporters to Amerks (or Red Wings, I believe) games anymore when Kevin O. was let go.
        If those cornerstones of Rochester sports don't rank worthy, what chance does RIT hockey have?
        Fortunately nobody reads the paper anymore, so who really cares.
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
          They recently announced that they will no longer assign reporters to Amerks (or Red Wings, I believe) games anymore when Kevin O. was let go.
          Source?

I still read the paper. Until they let Kevin go it was literally the only place to get decent Amerks coverage.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            Source?

I still read the paper. Until they let Kevin go it was literally the only place to get decent Amerks coverage.

Powers &8^]
            Bob Matthews show had Kevin O on the air when his layoff was announced (elimination of reporters covering local games is the main reason he was able to be let go) and they were discussing the demise of local sports coverage in the paper over the years.

Note: the term "nobody" was a figure of speech. I know some still do, but the numbers are dwindling fast and I believe we'll see print newspapers a thing of the past sooner than we probably imagine.
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

(elimination of reporters covering local games is the main reason he was able to be let go)
              There is a trend across the country to do fewer game recap stories and take a feature story approach. And this is for several reasons. Having online content allows newspapers to see how many clicks stories get and game stories are getting few clicks. Between video, Twitter, stories from team and league sites, and other sources, game stories are literally old news by the time they are published.

At USCHO, the editors decided to move toward a feature/league capsule format this season for similar reasons.

Like it or not, clicks drive ad revenue and revenue drives staffing and content decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                There is a trend across the country to do fewer game recap stories and take a feature story approach.
                And I'd be okay with that. But without Kevin, the D&C has no one to do the feature stories, either. As far as I can tell there hasn't been a single once since he was fired.

Meanwhile, the Bills get a feature article literally every day of the week, and two on Mondays.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  Meanwhile, the Bills get a feature article literally every day of the week, and two on Mondays.

Powers &8^]
                  And they're still not going to make the playoffs...
                  R I T HOCKEY
                  Frozen Four
                  Elite Eight
                  NCAA Tournament
                  2010-2015-2016
                  RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

I know some still do, but the numbers are dwindling fast and I believe we'll see print newspapers a thing of the past sooner than we probably imagine.
                    Actually, media companies are following the path of airlines and others by consolidating and having one or two physical plants that print various papers that are delivered to their respective neighborhoods. Along with pooling reporting and setting up a web presence with ancillary fees for users, they will continue on but without the cost burden of individual ownership. Oh, and for those that believe new consolidators are the next wave of journalism, that too will end when these media companies begin charging for their content to be shown on these consolidators.

What this has to do with college hockey, not a whole lot! RIT.edu is still my best source for news and recaps from beyond the greater Rochester area.
                    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• All I know is when I was a kid the local paper included all the scores of the past weeks Little League games. Which batters went 3 for 4, who hit a home run, and who was the winning pitcher, how many he walked and struck out. The losing pitcher was also thrown in there (I know because I was often listed). The sports reporter would even have a couple of action shots from the game, a close play at the plate, or a slide into second. As a kid we couldn't wait to read the paper. I have many of the clippings in a scrap book where my team or my name was mentioned.
                      Many years later when I coached youth sports I was often reminded to send in my game reports via email. That was the responsibility of the volunteer coach. There was no longer a dedicated sports reporter working for the paper. You could tell by the write ups which coaches did thorough write ups mentioning the efforts of many of their players and who couldn't be bothered.
                      I don't know what the answer is but I miss a good sports section in the newspaper. Papers should realize that regardless of your political, religious, or economic station in life, local sports brings the community together and reporting on the same rather than taking a strong position in the political arena just might keep your paper relevant. How about more sports, less politics?
                      Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 11-30-2016, 04:35 PM.
                      RPI Engineers
                      RIT Tigers
                      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

The thing that caused me to start this whole thing up with my rant about the local paper's coverage of Tigers hockey was really two-fold. One, there were several inaccuracies in the D&C articles lately that showed somewhat careless reporting, along with no mention of RIT hockey in the Sports on TV listings. Two, the lack of coverage (and game advertising by RIT) does not help when we really need to fill more seats in the GPC by increasing local interest. True, many people no longer read the print version of the paper, but the digital edition has the same content. More people in the community need to find out about our two great hockey teams at RIT... and what great family entertainment that it really is. And it doesn't break the bank to take the whole family to a game!
                        RIT TIGERS
                        Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions/NCAA Tournament 2010, 2015, 2016
                        Frozen Four 2010
                        The Gene Polisseni Center @ RIT

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                          All I know is when I was a kid the local paper included all the scores of the past weeks Little League games. Which batters went 3 for 4, who hit a home run, and who was the winning pitcher, how many he walked and struck out. The losing pitcher was also thrown in there (I know because I was often listed). The sports reporter would even have a couple of action shots from the game, a close play at the plate, or a slide into second. As a kid we couldn't wait to read the paper. I have many of the clippings in a scrap book where my team or my name was mentioned.
                          Many years later when I coached youth sports I was often reminded to send in my game reports via email. That was the responsibility of the volunteer coach. There was no longer a dedicated sports reporter working for the paper. You could tell by the write ups which coaches did thorough write ups mentioning the efforts of many of their players and who couldn't be bothered.
                          I don't know what the answer is but I miss a good sports section in the newspaper. Papers should realize that regardless of your political, religious, or economic station in life, local sports brings the community together and reporting on the same rather than taking a strong position in the political arena just might keep your paper relevant. How about more sports, less politics?
                          More sports, less politics...that's just crazy talk!

I am lucky enough to live in a town were all of the local sports are covered and reported on While not to the detail you describe above, it's very close. Lots of our friends kids are often featured on the front of the sports section and reading it is part of my morning routine. Hence I'm often late to work!
                          As far as hockey, they cover UNH pretty well and list all of the hockey transactions that occur.

I think I'd be ****ed if the coverage dropped down to the level of the D&C but while we're thinking about it, I pay 36 bucks a month for the paper (Mon to Sun) which I think is steep but if anybody gets the D&C (I guess I could ask my brother), what are their rates? Seems like they are cutting cost and might not be brining in the revenue they need.
                          RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by RITFan67 View Post
                            . And it doesn't break the bank to take the whole family to a game!

Except if you're going to a HEA game, yikes! But you are correct, it's an excellent value!
                            RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                              I think I'd be ****ed if the coverage dropped down to the level of the D&C but while we're thinking about it, I pay 36 bucks a month for the paper (Mon to Sun) which I think is steep but if anybody gets the D&C (I guess I could ask my brother), what are their rates? Seems like they are cutting cost and might not be brining in the revenue they need.
                              D&C Rates (these are regular rates, not promotional rates, which they do have for the first 6 months):
                              Mon-Sun: $28/month
                              Thurs-Sun: $20/month
                              Sat-Sun: $18/month
                              Digital only: $13/month
                              Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                              College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                              Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                              Men's Frozen Four 2010
                              Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                              Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                                Having online content allows newspapers to see how many clicks stories get and game stories are getting few clicks.
                                This makes sense even if you just look at the math. A certain percentage of all viewers will click on the feature stories, where only a given percentage of a more limited group (fans of the teams involved, for the most part) will bother to click on game summaries. I happen to be a fan of Amerks, Sabres, Bills, Yankees, and RIT, so would likely click on multiple game stories in our paper. Those that may only be fans of two, one, or none of those teams may only click on one or two of them if they're interested. In past days when I actually read the paper, the box scores and game summaries were my favorite parts, but only for the teams I had some rooting interest or connection to. I wouldn't read all the MLB, NHL, and NFL summaries, just the ones about my teams and my teams' rivals where applicable.
                                Additionally, I had heard (probably also on sports talk radio) some years ago that they have gradually de-emphasized the coverage of all professional / major college sports (most notably local minor league teams) , save for the Bills and the Orange, in favor of more high school coverage because anyone can go to multiple free websites to get all the pro sports info they want, (practically in real-time in most cases). So as you stated, by the time it gets into the paper it's old news. They had kept the high school stuff because of the large number of local readers either involved in or connected to those teams. People get a real kick out of seeing their school's, child's, friend's team in print. That same emotional connection to the stories does not exist with Amerks, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Rhinos, or even RIT. A very large majority of the players on those teams have no connection to our local community outside of the fact that they play here.
                                Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 12-01-2016, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X