Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rochester
    Well... We didn't get the big win. I doubt you will see anymore sellouts... When was the last time RIT won a homecoming game? You can't go years of losing or tying and expect the casual fan to show up.
    From my vantage point it was one hell of a game. Last year we were up 2-0 before giving up two and settling for a tie. This year I don't think a single person clapped when UConn scored. When RIT got the equalizer the rafters seemed to be shaking. Excellent showing by the boys. I thought the place was pretty packed and they did a nice job with the shirts. I got up here early enough to have a nice meal at Sticky Lips before heading over to BCA. Am I disappointed we didn't win, sure, but by no means was this a bust. The team did great especially not losing their cool after going down1-0 in the third. This is a good team.
    Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 10-15-2016, 09:20 PM.
    RPI Engineers
    RIT Tigers
    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
      From my vantage point it was one hell of a game. Last year we were up 2-0 before giving up two and settling for a tie. This year I don't think a single person clapped when UConn scored. When RIT got the equalizer the rafters seemed to be shaking. Excellent showing by the boys. I thought the place was pretty packed and they did a nice job with the shirts. I got up here early enough to have a nice meal at Sticky Lips before heading over to BCA. I am disappointed we didn't win, sure, but by no means was this a bust. The team did great especially not losing their cool after going down1-0 in the third. This is a good team.
      Yup, the place really exploded when we finally scored. I agree... this is a good, solid team. I like the fact we dominated play for most of the game. WITR guys said they thought we dominated 55 of the 60 minutes. I have to admit, though, that it had the feel of one of those games in which we were clearly the better team but could have lost by the Huskies scoring a fluke goal in OT.
      RIT TIGERS
      Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
      Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions/NCAA Tournament 2010, 2015, 2016
      Frozen Four 2010
      The Gene Polisseni Center @ RIT

Comment

• Originally posted by RITFan67 View Post
        Yup, the place really exploded when we finally scored. I agree... this is a good, solid team. I like the fact we dominated play for most of the game. WITR guys said they thought we dominated 55 of the 60 minutes. I have to admit, though, that it had the feel of one of those games in which we were clearly the better team but could have lost by the Huskies scoring a fluke goal in OT.
        Rit dominated almost every facet of that game, but I genuinely thought that after uconn finally scored that RIT was done. Seeemes like we had approximately zero puck luck. Regardless the atmosphere was electric.
        RIT Tigers

Comment

• Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
          Rit dominated almost every facet of that game, but I genuinely thought that after uconn finally scored that RIT was done. Seeemes like we had approximately zero puck luck. Regardless the atmosphere was electric.
          Yes the crowd definitely had that feel that here we go again we are going to lose another one at BCA after playing well and having no puck luck. That's why the equalizer and the remaining minutes of the third period and the OT was great hockey to watch. Everybody around me was hanging on every shot whether it be from UCONN or RIT. Having a power play heading into OT really amped up the place. I couldn't help but wonder what the UCONN players were thinking. How could you not want to play in an atmosphere like that?
          RPI Engineers
          RIT Tigers
          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

I thought both teams came out a bit flat. The first period and most of the second were pretty boring, mistake-filled affairs. (I was really surprised at the very beginning of the game when it looked like UConn wasn't going to use a forecheck... like, at all.)

I was also struck by how poor UConn is with the puck. They're big and solid physically but I didn't see very many flashes of skill in puck-handling or shooting. And they seemed slow compared to RIT.

The third period was good hockey; it would have been nice to see both teams playing like that earlier.

RIT went 0-for-7 on the PP; that's no good.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

RIT went 0-for-7 on the PP; that's no good.

Powers &8^]
              Most likely we didn't score on the PP for the same reason we had a tough time putting it in the back of the goal during the whole game... their freshman goalie is really good. We didn't have any problem keeping the play in UConn's end though.
              RIT TIGERS
              Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
              Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions/NCAA Tournament 2010, 2015, 2016
              Frozen Four 2010
              The Gene Polisseni Center @ RIT

Comment

Haven't been on here in a while but my 2 cents on all the recent topics:

Firstly, I think this team is going to be fun to watch, It's refreshing to see them competitive early after years of slow starts, as long as they don't peak too early or face a lot of injuries this is going to be a good team. This is the first time in a the last few years that we have players in the stands that I feel could hop into the lineup at any time and the team wouldn't miss a beat. The freshmen look like with some seasoning, they could be a great class.

In terms of Blue Cross and coming down to the wire with ticket sales, I think marketing for the event has been poor. Outside of the hockey social media and the local news this week i thought it was pretty quiet. Athletics doesn't market games anymore, my understanding is marketing and tickets are under the department that runs the rink as well as Ritter and the Field House, so that may have something to do with it as well. Yes, lack of homecoming wins at BCA certainly plays some role, but it's more of an event than a hockey game, people are going to show no matter what, but people need to know about it to be able to go.

In regards to Wayne and leaders, it's hard to argue with him in relation to what happened last Saturday. The penalties that lead to the 5v3s were by a Freshman, a Junior , a Senior and a Junior Captain. Maybe he's gone to the well too many times with the seniors and captains line, but imo he was right last Saturday. Any coach would tell you that you win with your seniors and your leaders, you lose with them too. What goes on behind the scenes to instill discipline? thats not for us to know, but I don't pin that loss on Wayne.

If what's gone on so far is any indicator, I think this is going to be an exciting year for Atlantic Hockey. Air Force is going to be solid and picked up a big win over BC, Holy Cross upset Providence, Bentley stole a tie from Northeastern; This isn't your Father's Atlantic Hockey

Go Tigers
                RIT Tigers
                2006-2007, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011 Regular Season Champions
                2010,2015, 2016 Atlantic Hockey Champions

Comment

Originally posted by RITFan67 View Post
                  Most likely we didn't score on the PP for the same reason we had a tough time putting it in the back of the goal during the whole game... their freshman goalie is really good. We didn't have any problem keeping the play in UConn's end though.
                  I agree that UConn's goalie was good, but the goal that RIT did score was a result of excellent passing, something that has been lacking this season. More practice, stable lines, and time should result in better passing accuracy (and fewer passes to no one in particular). Once that happens, RIT might just be "scary good."
                  RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

Garbowsky nets 2 goals in Colorado Eagles (ECHL) home opener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWC0frohVNQ

Highlights at 0:03 and 1:01

RIT Hockey FB Group
                    Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

• Originally posted by StimulisRK View Post
                      Garbowsky nets 2 goals in Colorado Eagles (ECHL) home opener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWC0frohVNQ

Highlights at 0:03 and 1:01
                      Thanks for this. I watched it multiple times now, great highlights, enthusiastic announcers, crunching checks, and of course hearing Matt's name followed by SCORE!

Have also been following McGowan and Mitchell in Germany, they're both lighting the lamp with regularity.

The old MGM line representing RIT well.
                      Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 10-17-2016, 04:55 PM.
                      RPI Engineers
                      RIT Tigers
                      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Tigers pick up a forward recruit for the18-19 season in Sam Kozlowski. Playing his first season in the BCHL with Coquitlam, the 18 yr old has a history as a play making assist machine. I figure he's going to be special as we share a birthday. Just 45+ yes apart.

Nice to see the programs growth in terms of recruiting. A couple of years ago it was almost exclusively recruit now for next season. Now we see more guys committing 2 years out.

Looking to see a goalie or two coming in sometime soon.
                        John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                        AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                        NCAA DII - 1983
                        NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
                          I agree that UConn's goalie was good, but the goal that RIT did score was a result of excellent passing,
                          ... and being able to convert that passing into a quick one-timer, finally. Most of their shots prior to this one were teed up prior to shooting. They really needed to get that goaltender moving and shoot quickly. When he got into position, there didn't look to be anything to shoot at. That was partially because he was well positioned, but also because of how tall he is and how large makes himself look against that puny little net. He should be an X factor for the Huskies for some time.
                          Of course, it also helps that the UConn defense was basically a glorified PK unit just clogging the middle of the zone trying to prevent side-to-side passing and any close-up scoring chances. I was a bit disappointed in what we saw from our old conference rivals. I was hoping they'd come in looking more like a Hockey East team than a big slow team with a lack of aggressiveness that plays more like it's afraid to give up a goal than it wants to score. At times during that contest if you didn't know which team was which, you would have thought that UConn were the team from the AHC just trying to hang on and keep the score down against the superior skill and speed of a competitive Hockey East team rather than the other way around (i.e. RIT against BC). RIT won nearly every single race for a loose puck and one-on-one battle that there was. Although calling them races and battles is questionable as most appeared to be uncontested. UConn seemed to be the spectators most of that game (except for the goalie, of course).
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Has there been any confirmation of who is coming to BCA next year? Usually by now we know 1-2 years out but I don't recall seeing anything for next year.

I'm glad to have tied a Hockey East foe, even if a mediocre one. So far AHC has punched above its weight in OOC and those results are always nice to see. As a fan though I was of course once again disappointed by 1) again not winning at homecoming and 2) having a massive territorial and shot advantage against a foe and still not winning.

Our PP formula is a very old hat now, I'd really like to see the coaches mix it up. One can only take watching the same three guys pass it to themselves around the perimeter before eventually turning it over up the boards for 1:30 before wanting to scream. It seems like the last 5 years our powerplay has left people going "why don't they just shoot?"

For how often the Norrish's and Abt like to blast slapshots from the point, they seem very reluctant to do so on the PP when you have the manpower advantage to get down low to jam in rebounds..
                            RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                              Has there been any confirmation of who is coming to BCA next year? Usually by now we know 1-2 years out but I don't recall seeing anything for next year.
                              I don't recall hearing it anywhere, but I saw in the USCHO write up that it would be Northeastern.

It won’t get any easier next year as Northeastern is slated to come to town.
                              Source: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2016/10/...ut-to-1-1-tie/
                              Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                              College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                              Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                              Men's Frozen Four 2010
                              Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                              Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                                I don't recall hearing it anywhere, but I saw in the USCHO write up that it would be Northeastern.

Source: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2016/10/...ut-to-1-1-tie/
                                Link clarifies why RIT doesn't schedule cupcakes at homecoming.
                                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Working...
                                X