Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
    Didn't see the game other than watching the updates on my phone..I was at a preseason game between the Florida Panthers and NJ Devils and telling anyone around me how good RIT seems to be after seeing them up 5-1. I haven't seen the box did coach call a timeout in that second period slippery slope when the wheels seemed to fall off or did it happen so fast that it was 5-5 before anyone knew it?

Three OOC games coming up then Bentley on the schedule. Next five games should tell us a bit about the leadership on this team. I have faith and hope this was just an early season fluke. RoMo only had 2 shots in the 3rd and still managed to get one in. Ouch.
    They scored their goals all in rapid succession thanks to a parade to the box by RIT. I believe RMU got two separate 5v3 oppurtunities (both of which ended up as goals) as well as 5v4s in between. I don't think you could really argue that any of the calls were bad either - some guys were just making really bad choices. Chase Norrish, who is an upper classmen and Captain on this team decided that a 5v4 PK was an excellent time to board a guy and hand them a 5v3 which they scored on.

All in all you can't really fault Rotolo for giving up 6 on so few shots..

1 breakaway goal
    4 powerplay goals
    1 goal off an unbelievable RIT turnover (the game winner)
    RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
      They scored their goals all in rapid succession thanks to a parade to the box by RIT. I believe RMU got two separate 5v3 oppurtunities (both of which ended up as goals) as well as 5v4s in between. I don't think you could really argue that any of the calls were bad either - some guys were just making really bad choices. Chase Norrish, who is an upper classmen and Captain on this team decided that a 5v4 PK was an excellent time to board a guy and hand them a 5v3 which they scored on.

All in all you can't really fault Rotolo for giving up 6 on so few shots..

1 breakaway goal
      4 powerplay goals
      1 goal off an unbelievable RIT turnover (the game winner)
      Thanks Winters for the brutally honest synopsis. Sounds like Mike was hung out to dry. I'm making the trip up next weekend excited to see this years team in person. I imagine this weeks practices will be tough. .
      RPI Engineers
      RIT Tigers
      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
        Thanks Winters for the brutally honest synopsis. Sounds like Mike was hung out to dry. I'm making the trip up next weekend excited to see this years team in person. I imagine this weeks practices will be tough. .
        It was a very frustrating and annoying loss, but the takeaway is still that we're a very good team. Already 3 of our freshmen have goals, Brubacher has 2 and is looking like a real stud on the blue line. Ton of team speed and solid defense. We just need to be a little more disciplined, which shouldn't be too hard to teach.

Also I know coach wants to get as many guys in as possible early on, but the Friday night team was definitely better/faster than the Saturday night team. Saturday's scratches were Holland, Vallete, Perron-Fontaine, and Mikowsky. Definitely missed each and every one of them, imo.

By the way - Perron Fontaine appears to have fully transitioned to forward this year, which is the right call. He also plays PK which is a nice ace in the hole, basically like having 3 D out there.
        RIT

Comment

That was just painful to watch. Four PP goals in under two minutes. A good reminder of how fast you can fall when you fail to keep your emotions in check. Upperclassmen need to set a better example.

The time for hard lessons is early in the season. Let's hope the boys take this as seriously as they need to. Skill-wise we appear to have the depth to go far this year, but discipline wins games.

Comment

Last nights highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QVi1bYhjxU
            R I T HOCKEY
            Frozen Four
            Elite Eight
            NCAA Tournament
            2010-2015-2016
            RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithpucks View Post
              That was just painful to watch. Four PP goals in under two minutes. A good reminder of how fast you can fall when you fail to keep your emotions in check. Upperclassmen need to set a better example.

The time for hard lessons is early in the season. Let's hope the boys take this as seriously as they need to. Skill-wise we appear to have the depth to go far this year, but discipline wins games.
              Agreed! Better to stink it up now then near the end of the season and into the play-offs! Learn from these mistakes Tigers!
              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Here is a nice little article about Myles Powell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dKsLnfFQMQ
                R I T HOCKEY
                Frozen Four
                Elite Eight
                NCAA Tournament
                2010-2015-2016
                RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

And this is why College athletics always have the ability to Surprise, played by young kids who don't always learn their lessons. This might be a blessing in disguise as clearly this team was believe too much of it's own press. Let me que up Herb Brooks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCHj-xZNkY) "Gentleman, you don't have enough talent to win on talent alone". A lesson better learned now early than later down the road. I agree with everything Coach Wilson said about it being inexcusable, poor leadership, and how many times before you learn your lesson? Only thing I have to add to the blame list would also be coaching. Wayne and his staff are some of the best in college hockey, but even the best have bad nights, and they can't escape blame on this one. The good news is their track record on using a game like this to get things turned around is very good.

I think Ed Trefzger was spot on when he called it one of the most disappointing and frustrating losses that he has ever seen. And you can count on one hand the number of people who have seen more RIT games than Ed. Reminded me of the final Elmira game, where a particular group of players so abandon the principles that normally is a basic characteristics of this program that you were all most happy they lost, but not quite. Cause they needed to learn a lesson. This is a game that we will look back at the end of the year, absolutely if they finish 2 points behind any other team in the standing, but more so on how they respond. A game like this has a tendency to make or break a season. A turning point or a sign of things to come...

Thanks for reading...
                  Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule
                  Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                    Wayne and his staff are some of the best in college hockey, but even the best have bad nights, and they can't escape blame on this one..
                    I get the distinct impression that Coach doesn't think it's his job to instill discipline or attitude; he consistently blames the captains and upperclassmen when there's a breakdown.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      I get the distinct impression that Coach doesn't think it's his job to instill discipline or attitude; he consistently blames the captains and upperclassmen when there's a breakdown.

Powers &8^]
                      Absolutely a wrong impression. Just ask the 2001-2002 team that had all but something like 3 or 4 player suspended for a game for violating team rules. They had to break up the suspensions and play two games with half a team. It cost them a game against Wentworth that season. The last ECAC West Tournament saw several players removed from the line for disciplinary reasons. There have been many instances of suspensions over the years they are always kept quiet and information is hard to come by even if you been around for awhile.
                      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                      The Mule
                      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                        Absolutely a wrong impression. Just ask the 2001-2002 team that had all but something like 3 or 4 player suspended for a game for violating team rules. They had to break up the suspensions and play two games with half a team. It cost them a game against Wentworth that season. The last ECAC West Tournament saw several players removed from the line for disciplinary reasons. There have been many instances of suspensions over the years they are always kept quiet and information is hard to come by even if you been around for awhile.
                        Well, certainly he has rules that he enforces. I was speaking more about the on-ice attitude and drive.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                          I sure miss the days when after an RIT game this thread was bombarded with comments. Looks like people left due to all the arguing 2 years back...
                          The "Forum/Message board" concept is outdated and sometimes even foreign to today's youth. Reddit and FB Groups have taken over internet discussion. I still use forums, and this is one of the more lively ones I still use. Almost all of the forums I've used over the years have been overtaken by a FB group. Current students would probably laugh if you asked them to join a forum.

RIT Hockey FB Group
                          Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

Originally posted by StimulisRK View Post
                            The "Forum/Message board" concept is outdated and sometimes even foreign to today's youth. Reddit and FB Groups have taken over internet discussion. I still use forums, and this is one of the more lively ones I still use. Almost all of the forums I've used over the years have been overtaken by a FB group. Current students would probably laugh if you asked them to join a forum.
                            You can't play Pick'em on The Facebook!
                            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

In case anyone is wondering, Wayne announced on the radio that Rotolo will be the starter on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by StimulisRK View Post
                                To be fair, reddit isn't really that far off from a forum in terms of content and conversation. The college hockey subreddit is actually fairly good, although less populated than USCHO I think.
                                RIT

Comment

Working...
                                X