Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Looks to be a very good prospect by the numbers.

I find it tough to judge players out of the OJHL these days as too much has changed or is changing these last few years. I know some on RIT out of the OJHL who are fantastic players like a Valenzuela, Girduckis or a Kerins, the OJHL at that time shrunk down from mid 30 plus teams to the current 22 teams. With that a lot of overager's laced them up and the young guys like mentioned had to really earn their spot and play against older bodies. The league was just coming out of a free situation, graduating to something around $2,500 all in. Last few years the league went "pay to play" with league fee's averaging $6,500 (some more) which just puts prices out of reach for too many young skilled players, with half the teams now being parent owned which is never a good thing. The overall level of play has lowered, but there are gems still to be had although harder to identify due to league strength. Teams in the south west conferences tend to be younger with an open offensive skilled game, the north east and east more specifically tends to be older and physically stronger and play a very tight defensive 2-way system.

Always enjoy hearing about the new recruits coming in so please share as the info becomes available.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
      Looks like Burky is done at Niagara: http://atlantichockeyonline.com/news...313170848.aspx
      I heard about this one over the weekend and it came as a fairly big surprise. During the 10/11 season to the 13/14 season Niagara was very competitive finishing league play at 6, 1, 2 & 4th overall in league standings. The last three seasons success has been a little more difficult which I cannot really put together a reason, I know a few players on Niagara and they are really skilled. Niagara did beat a skilled RIT team who did have a myriad of injuries, but full credit I watched some of the games and Niagara looked very competitive.

The Niagara team no doubt will be chomping at the bit right out of the gate making this an ever tighter conference come the start of the season, they might have under achieved this season but they do have the pieces to make it very competitive next.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
        The last three seasons success has been a little more difficult which I cannot really put together a reason,
        Injuries, injuries, and more injuries. They lost something like 234 man-games to injury in this last season alone. Even for those of us who don't believe in making excuses when it comes to injuries, this would be the exception. Those kind of numbers are impossible to overcome, especially in college where it's not like the pros where you can just go out and sign guys mid-season.
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
          Injuries, injuries, and more injuries. They lost something like 234 man-games to injury in this last season alone. Even for those of us who don't believe in making excuses when it comes to injuries, this would be the exception. Those kind of numbers are impossible to overcome, especially in college where it's not like the pros where you can just go out and sign guys mid-season.
          Speaking of Pros, does anybody know if any of our seniors are thinking about trying to sign a try out contract to play a little more hockey before they hang up the skates? I read a few tweets about a couple of SHU and AIC players giving it a try. Haven't seen anything yet from any of our guys.
          RPI Engineers
          RIT Tigers
          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
            Speaking of Pros, does anybody know if any of our seniors are thinking about trying to sign a try out contract to play a little more hockey before they hang up the skates? I read a few tweets about a couple of SHU and AIC players giving it a try. Haven't seen anything yet from any of our guys.
            No signings I have heard of, which I can't recall a year where we didn't have anyone sign by now. But speaking of the Seniors, I looked at their career plus/minus stats today at lunch and throw up. Not pretty combine Minus 55...

Caleb Cameron Plus 7
            Garrett McMullen Minus 20
            Todd Skirving Minus 23
            Danny Smith Minus 13
            Michael Holland Minus 1
            Perron-Fontaine Minus 5

Looking at the rest of the lineup, again this is career to date.

Juniors: Plus 19, Leading is Brady Norrish Plus 17

Sophomores: Minus 25, Leading is Abbott Girduckis Plus 5, trouble here is Kerins and Valenzuela are a combine Minus 24 that has got to change!!

Freshman: Plus 17, A very nice Plus 11 by Ryan Kuper

So add it all up at the end of the year the Tigers had guys that were Minus 44 for their college careers.

Remove the Senior class and it becomes Plus 11
            Last edited by Tom Naeger; 03-16-2017, 04:19 PM.
            Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
            The Mule
            Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Congrats to Adam Brubacher, named AHC rookie of the year: http://www.ritathletics.com/news/201...-the-year.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                No signings I have heard of, which I can't recall a year where we didn't have anyone sign by now. But speaking of the Seniors, I looked at their career plus/minus stats today at lunch and throw up. Not pretty combine Minus 55...

Caleb Cameron Plus 7
                Garrett McMullen Minus 20
                Todd Skirving Minus 23
                Danny Smith Minus 13
                Michael Holland Minus 1
                Perron-Fontaine Minus 5

Looking at the rest of the lineup, again this is career to date.

Juniors: Plus 19, Leading is Brady Norrish Plus 17

Sophomores: Minus 25, Leading is Abbott Girduckis Plus 5, trouble here is Kerins and Valenzuela are a combine Minus 24 that has got to change!!

Freshman: Plus 17, A very nice Plus 11 by Ryan Kuper

So add it all up at the end of the year the Tigers had guys that were Minus 44 for their college careers.

Remove the Senior class and it becomes Plus 11
                r

Inside the numbers ....

In the 2015-16 season, which RIT made the NCAAs
                Skirving -13
                McMullen -12

The whole team was a +1

Kerins and Valenzuela were -8 each that year. Top scorers might not get good +/- if they are paired with opposing teams top lines.
                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2010 Frozen Four participant
                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                  r

Kerins and Valenzuela were -8 each that year. Top scorers might not get good +/- if they are paired with opposing teams top lines.
                  That is exactly what happened and another big reason why RIT finished with the record they did. Hard to win when the other teams scorers are scoring more points than your top goal getters...

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

The plus minus stat is a crucial one in that it measures your performance with 5 on 5 play, removing all the overall points stat bumping that happens with PP points. If a player is on the ice for more goals against than goals for, then it tells a story. Teams generally line match during play-offs not regular season so that isn't a drastic issue for the plus minus stat. I will remove specialty team points for a players total, and coupled with the plus / minus get a better understanding of overall performance. Everyone has their own measures of what constitutes a great player, to me plus minus is part of that process.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      It doesn't appear that Coach does a whole lot of line matching. Aside from years where they have a clear # 1 line like the MGM line or the Favot-Brenner line, it seems like he rolls all four lines in order most of the 5-on-5 time.
                      Plus, I would hardly call Kerins and Valenzuela RIT's top scorers. They placed 4th and 6th. Even if Coach did match lines, they would not be paired against the opponents' top line. The best defensive forward line would normally be paired with the opposition's top line. I don't think they're on that line either.
                      Can't we all just get along?
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                        It doesn't appear that Coach does a whole lot of line matching. Aside from years where they have a clear # 1 line like the MGM line or the Favot-Brenner line, it seems like he rolls all four lines in order most of the 5-on-5 time.
                        Plus, I would hardly call Kerins and Valenzuela RIT's top scorers. They placed 4th and 6th. Even if Coach did match lines, they would not be paired against the opponents' top line. The best defensive forward line would normally be paired with the opposition's top line. I don't think they're on that line either.
                        Wayne does line match at times. He commented on air to Ed and I that he was surprised that RMU coach Derek Schooley kept Ferguson and Leavens away from Valenzuela. Really depends how good your top two are and how deep all 4 are.

Trying to figure out what to do with Valenzuela next year. Think I'd like to keep Kerins with Powell. And imagine this 6 Foot 1 Abbot Girduckis on the Right Wing, Centered by 6 Foot 6 Jordan Peacock with 6 foot 4 Freshman Bryson Traptow on right wing. I am think seriously that a MGM like line could be made of Brown, Powell, and Kerins. That could leave 3 Right handed Shots to Cameron, Kruper, Valenzuela, could mix in any three with Left shooting Freshmen Jacob Hamacher, William Calverley or Alden Dupuis.

Thomas M. Naeger
                        The Mule

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                          The plus minus stat is a crucial one in that it measures your performance with 5 on 5 play, removing all the overall points stat bumping that happens with PP points. If a player is on the ice for more goals against than goals for, then it tells a story. Teams generally line match during play-offs not regular season so that isn't a drastic issue for the plus minus stat. I will remove specialty team points for a players total, and coupled with the plus / minus get a better understanding of overall performance. Everyone has their own measures of what constitutes a great player, to me plus minus is part of that process.
                          Plus-minus is widely considered to be a garbage stat in today's hockey. It really does a poor job of indicating anything fairly and can be impacted badly by, say, a below-average goalie. Granted we don't have availability into things like corsi and fenwick in AHC but those are far better stats for how good or bad a player really is.

Top line players on a team where the goalie didn't even stop .900% of shots are going to struggle to have a good plus minus and you can't really blame them for that when Rotolo let soft wristers from the point go in the net once a game..

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                          That is exactly what happened and another big reason why RIT finished with the record they did. Hard to win when the other teams scorers are scoring more points than your top goal getters...
                          See above, but also this comment seems to ignore the special teams aspect of the game. RIT has had a very deadly power play more often than not the last 5 years and it has been a big part of their success. Those goals don't factor into +/- but still count the same on the score board.
                          RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                            Plus-minus is widely considered to be a garbage stat in today's hockey. It really does a poor job of indicating anything fairly and can be impacted badly by, say, a below-average goalie. Granted we don't have availability into things like corsi and fenwick in AHC but those are far better stats for how good or bad a player really is.

Top line players on a team where the goalie didn't even stop .900% of shots are going to struggle to have a good plus minus and you can't really blame them for that when Rotolo let soft wristers from the point go in the net once a game...
                            You are correct that the stat, like any other state can be miss leading, but you can make the same argument for all most any other stat in hockey. Just because a player has a minus rating doesn't mean he is a horrible player, two of the best players on this team are in the Minus area here. Very few stats tell the entire story. However I majorly disagree that it's a garbage state. Knowing how a player is doing 5 on 5 is valuable. Yes, sometimes a player is out on the ice and a goal happens because a goaltender let in a soft goal, or another player blow a coverage. That happens to everyone in hockey. Most of the time it balances out. Most teams will score on something like 15% to 25%, which normally pans out 1 one a game, sometimes 2. If you consistently out perform a team 5 on 5 you are going to win more often than not...

Thomas M. Naeger
                            The Mule

Comment

Anyone paying attention still Michael Holland has signed with the Macon MAYHEM of the SPHL. Scored a goal the other night.

So was talking with a Canisius alumni today about Charles Williams not having his best game in the AHA Semi Final. And it lead to a conversation about other goaltenders named player of the year that did have their best game at Blue Cross in the AHA's version of the frozen four. There have been 3 player of the year goaltenders in AHA history none have won a game at Blue Cross (In the year they where named POY) and combine stats are 4.50 GAA average with a 0868 Save Percentage.

Here is what all the POYs have done at Blue Cross in the same year they were named POY. Not including Brick City Weekend.

2016-17 Charles Williams Goaltender Canisius 15 Saves on 19 Shots/ 4.00 Goals Against / .789 Save Percentage
                              2015-16 Zac Lynch Right Wing Robert Morris 1 Goal / 2 Assists / 3 Points
                              2014–15 Matt Garbowsky Center RIT No Goals / 3 Assists / 3 Points
                              2013–14 Jimmy Sarjeant Goaltender Mercyhurst 42 Saves on 47 Shots / 5.00 Goals Against / .894 Save Percentage
                              2012-13 Carsen Chubak Goaltender Niagara 38 Saves on 43 Shots / 5.00 Goals Against / .884 Save Percentage
                              2011-12 Tim Kirby Defenceman Air Force No Goals / 0 Assists / 1 Points
                              2010-11 Paul Zanette Left Wing Niagara Team Did Not Play
                              2009-10 Cory Conacher Left Wing Canisius Team Did Not Play
                              2008-09 Jacques Lamoureux Center Air Force 1 Goal / 0 Assists / 1 Points
                              2007-08 Josh Kassel Goaltender Army 23 Saves on 27 Shots/ 4.00 Goals Against / .852 Save Percentage
                              2006-07 Eric Ehn Forward Air Force No Goals / 2 Assists / 2 Points

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                                Anyone paying attention still Michael Holland has signed with the Macon MAYHEM of the SPHL. Scored a goal the other night
                                Thanks for this Tom. Didn't see this on the elite prospects transaction page for RIT. Did you happen to see who the goalie is for the Macon Mayhem?

Here's a hint you might recognize the twitter handle.

https://***********/sinbinsphl/statu...57051524759558
                                RPI Engineers
                                RIT Tigers
                                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Working...
                                X