Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
    In your mind what more can the administration do?
    I really think I've made that clear in my posts...
    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
    The Mule
    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
      I'd like to see an administration step up and help them really take this program to the next level...
      Short of taking the entire athletic program to Division I, I am not sure what else the administration can do. Both publically and privately, the hockey staff have repeatedly told me that they are very happy with the support provided by the RIT administration (athletic and otherwise).

At this level, improvements year to year are incremental, not dramatic, in nature. Sometimes circumstances work for your team, some seasons they work against your team. This is one of those latter years, unfortunately.
      Scott Biggar
      WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
      Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

I really think I've made that clear in my posts...

If RIT can't move the entire athletic program to D1, and can't pull some NCAA strings to get a deal where they can offer athletic scholarships to their D1 student athletes like a small number of other school programs have arranged with the NCAA then I'd like RIT to measure themselves up against other programs that are in their same shoes, similar type colleges with non scholarship D1 hockey programs (non-Ivies). The only one I can think of is Union College. With a student body of about 2000 students they have put together an impressive string of strong recruiting years that have consistently put them at or near the top of the ECAC and delivered them an NCAA Championship.

Assuming Union recruits from the same pool of players that RIT does (is that true?), what makes the USHL or BCHL player decide Union over RIT? Is there a blueprint for recruiting success that Union has that RIT does not have? If that is the case can the RIT administration at least take the Union administration out for drinks during the off season and figure out what the trick is? Maybe hire some talent away from the Union's recruiting team. Does Coach Wilson know Coach Bennett? While I am being a little tongue in cheek here, if RIT recruiting staff has to consistently bust their butts looking for diamonds in the rough that other schools have passed over, has to take the extra look at the kid coming off an injury that others have passed on, or has to be first to watch warm ups to see how a forward shoots or how a defenseman skates and sticks around to catch the kids late to have some final words with them, I mean geez, what else is there to do? Listening to Brian, I feel for the guy very little wiggle room to make a mistake,

So maybe the administration can explore ways in which to strengthen the recruiting program, I don't know the rules so maybe I'm talking out of my ***, but as other schools in Atlantic Hockey add scholarships I think the playing field will no longer be level, so if D1 athletic scholarships are not in the near future for RIT, then maybe the administration can push for RIT to move to the ECAC where the league itself may help in drawing a higher ranked recruit who would rather have the exposure of playing against ECAC teams rather than AHC teams.
        RPI Engineers
        RIT Tigers
        ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
          Short of taking the entire athletic program to Division I, I am not sure what else the administration can do. Both publically and privately, the hockey staff have repeatedly told me that they are very happy with the support provided by the RIT administration (athletic and otherwise).

At this level, improvements year to year are incremental, not dramatic, in nature. Sometimes circumstances work for your team, some seasons they work against your team. This is one of those latter years, unfortunately.
          And they certainly should be happy with the support, I have had similar conversation (probably less than you) and agree with you. Don't want to dump on the administration as I mention before they've been good to a point and much better then lets say some previous administrators from way back in the day. But to me there are handcuffs on the coaches in terms of the players they can bring in and they have done a remarkable job and really have found some remarkable young men. I am under no illusions on the enormous task of taking the entire program DI or even a possible conference change would be. But it is something that in my opinion is going to take an aggressive and well thought out administrative approach from taking this program from one of the best team in the lowest conference of D-I to something that resembles more than "a long shot" of winning a national title.

I am not looking at just this season which could certainly end up being a throw away. It could be really interesting next year honestly could see the team finishing anywhere from 1st to 9th next year. But if you look at regular season records of both the men and the women over the last couple of seasons there is a potential disturbing trend in there. So as the Zen master said, "We shall See..."
          Last edited by Tom Naeger; 02-24-2017, 09:47 AM.

Thomas M. Naeger
          The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
            And they certainly should be happy with the support, I have had similar conversation (probably less than you) and agree with you. Don't want to dump on the administration as I mention before they've been good to a point and much better then lets say some previous administrators from way back in the day. But to me there are handcuffs on the coaches in terms of the players they can bring in and they have done a remarkable job and really have found some remarkable young men. I am under no illusions on the enormous task of taking the entire program DI or even a possible conference change would be. But it is something that in my opinion is going to take an aggressive and well thought out administrative approach from taking this program from one of the best team in the lowest conference of D-I to something that resembles more than "a long shot" of winning a national title.

I am not looking at just this season which could certainly end up being a throw away. It could be really interesting next year honestly could see the team finishing anywhere from 1st to 9th next year. But if you look at regular season records of both the men and the women over the last couple of seasons there is a potential disturbing trend in there. So as the Zen master said, "We shall See..."
            I think many of us share your sentiment Tom. Yes we shall see.
            RPI Engineers
            RIT Tigers
            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

I find this conversation interesting and also somewhat amusing.

It's interesting in the fact that Atlantic Hockey has made drastic improvements in the time RIT joined. Several teams stepped up their game. So much so that the teams in a "cost containment" conference voted to increase scholarships first from 12 to 14 and now I believe all 18. Whether or not all the teams will use that is another question due to funding. Now the Tigers have a nice brand new arena. Next thing you know, other schools improve their facilities. This kind of thing is what will get better players to the conference. Based on the current recruits, I believe that RIT will be poised for a bounce back year next year if they get good goaltending. Short will probably be the leading candidate to start, but we can see how much the coaching staff has faith in him with his lack of playing time this year.

I also find this amusing in that as fans, many of us want to get into a league where it's possible to get multiple bids to NCAA. Who is to say that Atlantic Hockey cannot be that way? Air Force is very much on the bubble to be able to get an at large if needed or a decent seed should they win the tournament. IF Canisius wins out to get the autobid - they will be a tough team with their goaltending. There is no reason why anyone at the top of Atlantic Hockey can't make a run in the tournament anymore.

This season has been a disappointment - but I'll take a season like this after making NCAAs the prior two years and even winning a game. I expect RIT to be a tough team next year. Injuries and inconsistancy have hurt RIT this year. Hope they can catch lightning in a bottle in the tournament and win it to steal a bid.
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Well RIT will be hosting in the first round. It's 5-0 AF over Sacred Heart with about a minute to play in Colorado.
                RPI Engineers
                RIT Tigers
                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                  I find this conversation interesting and also somewhat amusing.

It's interesting in the fact that Atlantic Hockey has made drastic improvements in the time RIT joined. Several teams stepped up their game. So much so that the teams in a "cost containment" conference voted to increase scholarships first from 12 to 14 and now I believe all 18. Whether or not all the teams will use that is another question due to funding. Now the Tigers have a nice brand new arena. Next thing you know, other schools improve their facilities. This kind of thing is what will get better players to the conference. Based on the current recruits, I believe that RIT will be poised for a bounce back year next year if they get good goaltending. Short will probably be the leading candidate to start, but we can see how much the coaching staff has faith in him with his lack of playing time this year.

I also find this amusing in that as fans, many of us want to get into a league where it's possible to get multiple bids to NCAA. Who is to say that Atlantic Hockey cannot be that way? Air Force is very much on the bubble to be able to get an at large if needed or a decent seed should they win the tournament. IF Canisius wins out to get the autobid - they will be a tough team with their goaltending. There is no reason why anyone at the top of Atlantic Hockey can't make a run in the tournament anymore.

This season has been a disappointment - but I'll take a season like this after making NCAAs the prior two years and even winning a game. I expect RIT to be a tough team next year. Injuries and inconsistancy have hurt RIT this year. Hope they can catch lightning in a bottle in the tournament and win it to steal a bid.
                  Thought with what they had coming this year that they would win the league. So right now it really a roll of the dice for next year. I actually see Short on the outside looking in for any time next year. His playing time has be reduced and he has not had good results this season. Both these two incoming Freshman have the resume.

I also don't think we will see two AHA teams in the Tournament. One I think Air Force will be too much for even Williams at Canisius. But if they lose I don't they will be in that 9 to 10 safe zone. They only get in if there are no other upsets in that case.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule

Comment

Thought with what they had coming this year that they would win the league. So right now it really a roll of the dice for next year. I actually see Short on the outside looking in for any time next year. His playing time has be reduced and he has not had good results this season. Both these two incoming Freshman have the resume.

I also don't think we will see two AHA teams in the Tournament. One I think Air Force will be too much for even Williams at Canisius. But if they lose I don't they will be in that 9 to 10 safe zone. They only get in if there are no other upsets in that case.
                    Nobody expected RIT to have these results this year. However, they did not play well enough in the second half of the season to deserve a better fate than what they have. That is why they will be expected to contend again next year. But if I have to have a disappointing year after 2 NCAA tournament appearances, I'll take it.

My point about Air Force and possible multi-bids is that many people here want to be in a conference that gets multiple bids. I think Atlantic Hockey is getting closer to being that kind of conference with Air Force possibly working their way into that.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• My reasons for wanting RIT in the ECAC have nothing to do with NCAA bids in fact no one doubts that it would be more difficult to see an NCAA bid for this caliber RIT team competing in the ECAC.

I want to see the RIT program grow and while the AHC is trying to improve their league by adding scholarships I'm not sure how that helps RIT. When RIT painted Destlers hair orange and sold out GPC was it against an eastern AHC team? Nope. I'd rather have RIT take its lumps and improve in the ECAC playing against the likes of a Jimmy Vesey or Shaynre Gostisbehere than playing a .500 season and trying to win the AHC tournament year after year. I'd like to see ECAC schools in the GPC and I think many of ECAC schools would like to see RIT playing in their barns. RPI put 4200 + at their rink when RIT visited only to be surpassed by their Q-PAC senior Night game this season. RIT drew the second biggest crowd for RPI this season.

That's my opinion. I'm sure others have different opinions, but like Tom wrote, we'll see.
                      RPI Engineers
                      RIT Tigers
                      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

What a win tonight! Hopefully the team will carry some of this momentum forward. RIT clinches the 6th seed and will play Niagara in the first round.
                        In other news, Brody Valette will be out for the season with mono which will leave the team with five defensemen.
                        RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                          My reasons for wanting RIT in the ECAC have nothing to do with NCAA bids in fact no one doubts that it would be more difficult to see an NCAA bid for this caliber RIT team competing in the ECAC.

I want to see the RIT program grow and while the AHC is trying to improve their league by adding scholarships I'm not sure how that helps RIT. When RIT painted Destlers hair orange and sold out GPC was it against an eastern AHC team? Nope. I'd rather have RIT take its lumps and improve in the ECAC playing against the likes of a Jimmy Vesey or Shaynre Gostisbehere than playing a .500 season and trying to win the AHC tournament year after year. I'd like to see ECAC schools in the GPC and I think many of ECAC schools would like to see RIT playing in their barns. RPI put 4200 + at their rink when RIT visited only to be surpassed by their Q-PAC senior Night game this season. RIT drew the second biggest crowd for RPI this season.

That's my opinion. I'm sure others have different opinions, but like Tom wrote, we'll see.
                          Wow, that's a pretty incredible fact about RPI. It's definitely not hard to imagine the benefits to RIT attendance if we were playing Cornell, RPI, and Yale instead of Niagara, Sacred Heart, and American International.

As much as AHC has improved over the last 5 years, it's still the doormat of NCAA D1 hockey and, barring essentially miraculous circumstances, it's only sending one team to the dance on any given year. There's still 0 reason why any kid would take a scholarship at an AHC school over one in any other league.
                          RIT

Comment

Well the first round series are set. Niagara at RIT, Sacred Heart at Bentley, and AIC at Mercyhurst. Funny last week we were worried about Sacred Heart sweeping Air Force and after losing to the Lakers RIT would be visiting Sacred Heart. Well that didn't happen. As crazy as this last weekend was you almost got to feel bad for Air Force giving up a late goal and then losing in OT. I actually had that game a tie in our pool I just didn't expect SHU to bury one in OT, just like I didn't expect Army to lose to AIC in OT. I think we will have some upsets in the playoffs. Congrats to Canisius on being the regular season champions.
                            RPI Engineers
                            RIT Tigers
                            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                              Well the first round series are set. Niagara at RIT, Sacred Heart at Bentley, and AIC at Mercyhurst. Funny last week we were worried about Sacred Heart sweeping Air Force and after losing to the Lakers RIT would be visiting Sacred Heart. Well that didn't happen. As crazy as this last weekend was you almost got to feel bad for Air Force giving up a late goal and then loosing in OT. I actually had that game a tie in our pool I just didn't expect SHU to bury one in OT, just like I didn't expect Army to lose to AIC in OT. I think we will have some upsets in the playoffs. Congrats to Canisius on being the regular season champions.
                              Hard to imagine us losing a 3 game series to a team who only has 3 total wins this season..will be nice to see some wins at the GPC again before next season.
                              RIT

Comment

Wouldn't shock me in the least if RIT is in semi's with barring no second round upsets. Niagara should be a win in the first round and RIT has already swept Army although it was way back in November.
                                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                                https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/