Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Average Men's Attendance

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    No one said that phenomenon was limited to current undergraduates. (And if you had made it past the first sentence, you would have seen explicit acknowledgement of that in Split-N's post.) The thing is that 40/50-year-old people weren't on their phones when they were undergrads. Because that was 20-30 years ago. And it's whichever cohort is currently undergraduates that drives college sports attendance.

Powers &8^]
    From one fprmer LT to another, I beg to differ at least in the Yale situation. The reserved student section at Ingalls may be a little less than 10% of the 3,500 seats. I would say Yale averages about 3K per game, most being older townie hockey fans and alumni. Unfortunately hockey is not the forst thing on the mind of a college student on the weekend around here . Of course the only students that probably played hockey at Yale are already on the team lol.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Well I'm sure it varies place-to-place, but alumni are former students, most of whom I suspect attended games as undergrads. Lower undergrad attendance today means lower alumni attendance tomorrow.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Well I'm sure it varies place-to-place, but alumni are former students, most of whom I suspect attended games as undergrads. Lower undergrad attendance today means lower alumni attendance tomorrow.

Powers &8^]
        Now this is a great point.

To add to the discussion, fan bases also are not traveling as much anymore to their away games.
        I'll use BU as an example.
        As recently as five or six years ago, BU was considered the best traveling fan base in Hockey East. Students would usually pack into 5 or so cars, and more alumni would make the effort to go to away games.
        I'm sure there are several reasons (higher ticket costs, lack of access to transportation, etc) for the lack of travel today, but the lack of opposing fans, or fewer than in the past, also leads to decline in attendance.

That being said, my friends and I are crazy people so we still travel to most away games, but it is pretty obvious that there are fewer of us traveling.
        We are also losing 2 of 3 cars next season, so at least 10 fewer of my group to add to that

Comment

... (And if you had made it past the first sentence, you would have seen explicit acknowledgement of that in Split-N's post.)...
          I think I also said something about attention spans.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
            Now this is a great point.

To add to the discussion, fan bases also are not traveling as much anymore to their away games.
            I'll use BU as an example.
            As recently as five or six years ago, BU was considered the best traveling fan base in Hockey East. Students would usually pack into 5 or so cars, and more alumni would make the effort to go to away games.
            I'm sure there are several reasons (higher ticket costs, lack of access to transportation, etc) for the lack of travel today, but the lack of opposing fans, or fewer than in the past, also leads to decline in attendance.

That being said, my friends and I are crazy people so we still travel to most away games, but it is pretty obvious that there are fewer of us traveling.
            We are also losing 2 of 3 cars next season, so at least 10 fewer of my group to add to that
            No way BU ever travelled better than Maine.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              No way BU ever travelled better than Maine.
              I have to grudgingly agree. Even recently at the Centrum (now the DCU Center) when they beat us in the regionals and they skated around the ice with the flag honoring Shawn Walsh they had about 4,000 fans there. And the Garden used to be packed. In the (unfortunate) Championship Game against Denver (when they got [a fastening device with threads] out of that first goal because the guy's skate was one inch inside the crease) there were probably 8,000 Maine fans there (or at least they were cheering for Maine). When we got there in 2015 there were more Providence fans (and don't anybody try to cite revisionist history because that's true - and, embarrassing, given that the school is a few miles down the street). We were outnumbered by Wisconsin fans in Providence in 1978 and North Dakota fans in Worcester. It is what it is...the only defense is that the big state schools have a much large following (and more people that tend to stay and live in the area) than do the private schools.

Comment

Can Hockey East even claim to have traveling fans? Wouldn't a better descriptor be "stopping by" fans? I mean, I'm sure BU fans stop by games at BC, Northeastern, even UMass Lowell sometimes when they go out for dinner at a nearby McDonalds, but it ain't traveling unless you have a friend feed the pets while you are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Can Hockey East even claim to have traveling fans? Wouldn't a better descriptor be "stopping by" fans? I mean, I'm sure BU fans stop by games at BC, Northeastern, even UMass Lowell sometimes when they go out for dinner at a nearby McDonalds, but it ain't traveling unless you have a friend feed the pets while you are gone.
                  we'll take 'stopping by' fans.. the sport will take all fans.
                  Can't blame us for the dearth of programs in the area. Heck if Wisco fans want to come to Matthews .. most welcome.
                  Let's get this thing rolling (again)!

ps: fwiw.. best traveling fans i have seen.. North Dakota. Kudos to them.
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  Always bullish on the future.
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                    Of course the only students that probably played hockey at Yale are already on the team lol.
                    At Bright-Landry last weekend for the opener vs. Dartmouth, the largest group of spectators I saw when we moved to the glass in the student section for the 2nd period was the half dozen plus roster players in suits, who did not dress for the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      No one said that phenomenon was limited to current undergraduates. (And if you had made it past the first sentence, you would have seen explicit acknowledgement of that in Split-N's post.) The thing is that 40/50-year-old people weren't on their phones when they were undergrads. Because that was 20-30 years ago. And it's whichever cohort is currently undergraduates that drives college sports attendance.

Powers &8^]
                      The cow jumped over the moon, and added onto the post.

La la laa
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                        At Bright-Landry last weekend for the opener vs. Dartmouth, the largest group of spectators I saw when we moved to the glass in the student section for the 2nd period was the half dozen plus roster players in suits, who did not dress for the game.
                        So that explains why there are so many Harvard recruits on Heisenberg's list. They want to fill the stands.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Not sure if this is valid, but I wonder if a good percentage of people who went to games when overall attendance was “better” are now in the age group where their lives have become so busy with their own kids activities etc? Thus preventing them from going to as many games.

I know it applies to me and to my group.

In our block of season tickets, attendance is under 50% usually related to one of our own kids activities (even the game does not directly conflict, kids nigh have an early morning meet game or practice, so not staying out late at a game the night before)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            So that explains why there are so many Harvard recruits on Heisenberg's list. They want to fill the stands.
                            Hat tip. Very nice.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              Not sure if this is valid, but I wonder if a good percentage of people who went to games when overall attendance was “better” are now in the age group where their lives have become so busy with their own kids activities etc? Thus preventing them from going to as many games.

I know it applies to me and to my group.

In our block of season tickets, attendance is under 50% usually related to one of our own kids activities (even the game does not directly conflict, kids nigh have an early morning meet game or practice, so not staying out late at a game the night before)
                              I think that might be one of those things you use as a reason, but isn't the real reason. There were plenty of people who had kids who made it to games back when attendance was better. Even for people who don't have kids it seems its easy to convince yourself to stay home.

Last night looked pretty bad for Hockey East. Tsongas was as empty for the Maine-UML game as I have seen it in a number of years. Also watched a bit of BC-Merrimack and Conte was empty. Saw a pic of BU-Providence on twitter and it didn't exactly look packed.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                I think that might be one of those things you use as a reason, but isn't the real reason. There were plenty of people who had kids who made it to games back when attendance was better. Even for people who don't have kids it seems its easy to convince yourself to stay home.

Last night looked pretty bad for Hockey East. Tsongas was as empty for the Maine-UML game as I have seen it in a number of years. Also watched a bit of BC-Merrimack and Conte was empty. Saw a pic of BU-Providence on twitter and it didn't exactly look packed.
                                Box score listing attendance at BU of 3293... so a tad over 50% full... not good at all.

Not to mention, candidly, I think Agganis pads the attendance numbers sometimes as compared to what your eyes tell you when you are at the game. Maybe they count all the consession workers, visiting team and cleanup crew towards the attendance.

Comment

Working...
                                X