Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Average Men's Attendance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    My PC season tickets in seven years went from a Family Plan season ticket at 99 dollars total to 250 for one season ticket.
    Check out JWU. Next year they join the same league as Norwich, Babson, and Mass-Boston. They play up at Lynch in Pawtucket.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

    Comment


    • Re: Average Men's Attendance

      Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      Among many factors driving the drops in physical attendance is the fact that today’s undergrads are the FANG (Facebook/Amazon/Netflix/Google) generation (and don’t forget Xbox and PlayStation). They tend to be ambivalent toward team sports and generally don’t have the attention spans needed to sit through 2+ hour games. And it’s not just the undergrads.

      In an attempt to bring some mathematical perspective to this discussion, I went back and looked at the box scores (which include attendance) for every team that plays in an arena with at least 2,000 seats for each of the past two weekends. It’s impractical to list every single game so I’ve broken down what I found into these categories:

      --Win and They Will Come (programs drawing at, close to, or even over capacity): North Dakota, Denver, Michigan, Northern Michigan, Western Michigan, *Wisconsin, Penn State, and Clarkson (*Wisconsin is not close to capacity but is averaging 8K+ in a 15K+ arena)
      --Bloom is Off the Rose (Sellouts of the past now down to ~60% (or less) of capacity): Michigan State, Miami, Maine
      --In the Middle: All others (except Brown). Most running between 35 and 65 percent of capacity
      --Why Even Bother? (Program where apparently, nobody notices): Brown—only 553 souls at its opener

      It’s a brave new world in sports marketing at both the college and pro levels. And not just in hockey.
      Clarkson doesn't sell out except on parents' weekend and games against SLU. I must admit though, the student section is always full.

      You could also add Princeton to the Brown category. I go down to the Clarkson game every year and the Hobey has more green and gold than orange and black, especially if it's a home football weekend. (I don't know if they still do it but they used to give away free hockey tickets to anyone attending the football game and there was still nobody there.)
      Clarkson Golden Knights Men
      10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
      5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
      21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

      Undefeated - 1956

      Clarkson Golden Knights Women
      ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
      ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
      7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

      Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
      National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

      Comment


      • Re: Average Men's Attendance

        Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Has there ever been interest in Harvard hockey?
        Some, yes. We saw a handful (OK single hand) of Crimson jerseys in Chicago. I note that Bright-Landry for this year eliminated the YOUTH ticket class, so even young children now pay full adult fare - and our family block of season tickets increased in cost substantially. Maybe that's the result of a frozen four appearance, but I think they could have waited to see if there was actually any increase in demand. And why target families? Occasionally, like the morning when an ECAC playoff series is added, you can get a glimpse (based on the chart of available seats) of how few season ticket holders there actually are. It should be no surprise that team supporters willing to travel can easily outnumber the home crowd. And the Harvard University Band too nearly always has given up its section for visitor fan tickets in recent years. My impression is that frequency of bands appearances at Bright-Landry in recent years ranks Visiting Collegiate Band > Guest High School Pep Band > HUB. Really kind of sad.
        Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 10-31-2017, 11:28 AM.

        Comment


        • Re: Average Men's Attendance

          Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
          ... even young children now pay full adult fare - and our family block of season tickets increased in cost substantially.
          They have to pay those professors who get $350,000 to teach one course...

          Comment


          • Re: Average Men's Attendance

            Originally posted by chickod View Post
            There seemed to be a pretty good crowd there when Oliver Barrett IV was playing in front of Jenny Cavalleri
            Alas poor Jenny! But those were halcyon days for Harvard. Hockey was considered "cool" and Watson Rink was a place certain people went to be seen. Same for the Beanpot. Harvard also had a decent townie following in that era but those days are long gone.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

            Comment


            • Re: Average Men's Attendance

              Subscribed
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

              Comment


              • The Cornell Experience

                Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                Student attendance can be cyclical depending on which winter team sport is doing better. At Yale, if the basketball team is doing well, the hockey student section suffers, as well as the meager band having to play BB before hockey.
                Declining attendance is ubiquitous. Hockey is the only fall/winter sport (if you ignore wrestling) at Cornell that has any modicum of sustained success. At last Saturday's UAH game, half of sections A & B (the traditional student sections) were empty.

                Since I was there in the 80s, the Univ admin put a severe crimp in the students' behavior which (I must assume) has had an impact on attendance. E.g. game administration actually made students remove their Yuck Fale t-shirts a few seasons ago, and the chants used 30 years ago would get one expelled today. The whole student game experience has been sterilized.

                For alum like myself who don't live in Ithaca, the geniuses in Cornell ticketing have decided to only offer single-game tickets on the preceding Tuesday before the games!? Not sure of others, but I like to plan trips a bit further in advance than 3 or 4 days.

                Even in a hockey hot-bed like Cornell, stupid management decisions can disenfranchise even the most ardent of fans, and dissatisfied customers are five times as likely to relay their issues to others than their satisfied counterparts.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  Among many factors driving the drops in physical attendance is the fact that today’s undergrads are the FANG (Facebook/Amazon/Netflix/Google) generation (and don’t forget Xbox and PlayStation). They tend to be ambivalent toward team sports and generally don’t have the attention spans needed to sit through 2+ hour games. And it’s not just the undergrads.

                  In an attempt to bring some mathematical perspective to this discussion, I went back and looked at the box scores (which include attendance) for every team that plays in an arena with at least 2,000 seats for each of the past two weekends. It’s impractical to list every single game so I’ve broken down what I found into these categories:

                  --Win and They Will Come (programs drawing at, close to, or even over capacity): North Dakota, Denver, Michigan, Northern Michigan, Western Michigan, *Wisconsin, Penn State, and Clarkson (*Wisconsin is not close to capacity but is averaging 8K+ in a 15K+ arena)
                  --Bloom is Off the Rose (Sellouts of the past now down to ~60% (or less) of capacity): Michigan State, Miami, Maine
                  --In the Middle: All others (except Brown). Most running between 35 and 65 percent of capacity
                  --Why Even Bother? (Program where apparently, nobody notices): Brown—only 553 souls at its opener

                  It’s a brave new world in sports marketing at both the college and pro levels. And not just in hockey.
                  At Northern, it could be that the Cats are winning, but the new coach is bringing an up tempo, exciting style of play as well. But I don't know if that contributes a lot.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

                  Comment


                  • Re: Average Men's Attendance

                    These statistics are hard to come by at North Dakota, since the men are all well above average in every way.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Average Men's Attendance

                      Originally posted by burd View Post
                      These statistics are hard to come by at North Dakota, since the men are all well above average in every way.
                      Nope. Too easy.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Average Men's Attendance

                        Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Nope. Too easy.
                        Sota nice, my foot.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Average Men's Attendance

                          Originally posted by burd View Post
                          Sota nice, my foot.
                          Your foot or Kristo’s? Because Kristo’s is slightly below average.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                          Comment


                          • Re: Average Men's Attendance

                            You guys write the same frickin post every single year. Phones, FaceSpaces, Nintendo...

                            Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              Among many factors driving the drops in physical attendance is the fact that today’s undergrads are the FANG (Facebook/Amazon/Netflix/Google) generation (and don’t forget Xbox and PlayStation). They tend to be ambivalent toward team sports and generally don’t have the attention spans needed to sit through 2+ hour games. And it’s not just the undergrads.

                              In an attempt to bring some mathematical perspective to this discussion, I went back and looked at the box scores (which include attendance) for every team that plays in an arena with at least 2,000 seats for each of the past two weekends. It’s impractical to list every single game so I’ve broken down what I found into these categories:

                              --Win and They Will Come (programs drawing at, close to, or even over capacity): North Dakota, Denver, Michigan, Northern Michigan, Western Michigan, *Wisconsin, Penn State, and Clarkson (*Wisconsin is not close to capacity but is averaging 8K+ in a 15K+ arena)
                              --Bloom is Off the Rose (Sellouts of the past now down to ~60% (or less) of capacity): Michigan State, Miami, Maine
                              --In the Middle: All others (except Brown). Most running between 35 and 65 percent of capacity
                              --Why Even Bother? (Program where apparently, nobody notices): Brown—only 553 souls at its opener

                              It’s a brave new world in sports marketing at both the college and pro levels. And not just in hockey.
                              I didn't even make it past your first sentence.

                              This is not limited to my generation, seen plenty of 40/50 year old people on their phones while driving. Mostly the finer sex.
                              Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Average Men's Attendance

                                Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                                This is not limited to my generation, seen plenty of 40/50 year old people on their phones while driving.
                                No one said that phenomenon was limited to current undergraduates. (And if you had made it past the first sentence, you would have seen explicit acknowledgement of that in Split-N's post.) The thing is that 40/50-year-old people weren't on their phones when they were undergrads. Because that was 20-30 years ago. And it's whichever cohort is currently undergraduates that drives college sports attendance.


                                Powers &8^]

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X