UNLV next? NHL franchise adds momentum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Which one is owned by the Ilitch family?
    I believe Mrs I owns Motor City.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Which one is owned by the Ilitch family?
      Motor City
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Although UNLV may be gaining momentum, on Friday the Iowa Economic Development Authority agreed to commit $12 million in aid toward a planned $70 million arena and sports complex in Coralville/Iowa City. From an above the fold, front page article in today's edition of "The Gazette" in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, "The aid is tied to a 6,216 seat arena at Iowa River Landing." "the arena is one component in a much larger plan for the Iowa River Landing area. All told, the area is poised to see a roughly $174 million investment in projects tied to the state dollars" Coralville Mayor Pro Temp Mitch Gross said, "The 12 million chunk represents only a small fraction of the entire project, but that money is critical to its completion. It was a big piece. It's always been a central piece of the big plan, and now that we have this, we can definitely move forward"
        It's certainly not a guarantee that the University of Iowa will decide to jump in but, I think it makes it much easier if they don't have to finance an arena as well as men's and women's program. I still believe that Nebraska and Iowa will be the next Big schools to make the jump and that they'll both do so in the next 3-5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by net presence View Post
          Although UNLV may be gaining momentum, on Friday the Iowa Economic Development Authority agreed to commit $12 million in aid toward a planned $70 million arena and sports complex in Coralville/Iowa City. From an above the fold, front page article in today's edition of "The Gazette" in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, "The aid is tied to a 6,216 seat arena at Iowa River Landing." "the arena is one component in a much larger plan for the Iowa River Landing area. All told, the area is poised to see a roughly $174 million investment in projects tied to the state dollars" Coralville Mayor Pro Temp Mitch Gross said, "The 12 million chunk represents only a small fraction of the entire project, but that money is critical to its completion. It was a big piece. It's always been a central piece of the big plan, and now that we have this, we can definitely move forward"
          It's certainly not a guarantee that the University of Iowa will decide to jump in but, I think it makes it much easier if they don't have to finance an arena as well as men's and women's program. I still believe that Nebraska and Iowa will be the next Big schools to make the jump and that they'll both do so in the next 3-5 years.
          The arena has an application in for a USHL team
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            The arena has an application in for a USHL team
            I wasn't aware of that. I find it hard to believe the USHL would grant them a franchise being so close to Cedar Rapids. Unless the Roughriders are planning on moving there. Still, considering how well they do at the current site, and that Iowa City is a solid 25-30 minutes from Cedar Rapids, they'd be taking a bit of a chance moving there. No guarantee that a majority of the current regular attendees would want to make that drive on a regular basis.
            All I know is that my source inside the Univ. of Iowa athletic department (who, unfortunately must remain nameless) has told me that hockey would probably get serious consideration if this facility becomes a reality. So, as usual, only time will tell...

Comment

Re: UNLV next? NHL franchise adds momentum.

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Generally, the teams operate on a "fly in 24 hours before puck drop" schedule.

Officially, per the NHL CBA:

So, get ready to have "2010 Blackhawks at Roxy's" shenanigans reported about every team in the league!
              It can't be any worse than the strip joints of Montreal and Toronto.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...rena/86033032/

I like the pic for the Iowa club team.

Comment

Probably not the first to say this...but not D1 hockey?
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                  X