Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    The word they were looking for was "The Feeble Big Ten Hockey Conference".
    But face it. When the BTHC was announced, everyone thought it would be the 10 ton gorilla in college hockey - hence the NCHC.

The on ice product leaves a bit to be desired, but off the ice, tbe B1G can force college hockey in any way it pleases.

They need a counter and the only other multisport D1 conference is the Ivy League and they don't have enough voting power to stop a horde of gnats.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      I was just thinking how a powerful league like the Big Ten could probably push the NCAA around, instead of having them dictate things like names, mascots, and such. You guys might be able to recruit enough old Canadians to win at hockey, but you will never win a championship in the top NCAA division in any other sport, ever.
      A UND kid was the D1 baseball home run derby Champion last year. So technically you are wrong.

Comment

Re: Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        But face it. When the BTHC was announced, everyone thought it would be the 10 ton gorilla in college hockey - hence the NCHC.

The on ice product leaves a bit to be desired, but off the ice, tbe B1G can force college hockey in any way it pleases.

They need a counter and the only other multisport D1 conference is the Ivy League and they don't have enough voting power to stop a horde of gnats.
        While you left out/forgot about the MAC (BG, Western Michigan, Miami State), your gnat point is still valid.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Well, game results go differently then we have a different convo. Fact is for better/worse the Big10 underperformed at a critical change point in the scene.

I think that the Big10's egg laying has been a benefit to the rest.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Wow. Where to start....
            This piece is truly art. Whomever wrote this should probably be reminded his/her rear end is not a hat.

The bi6 is a joke. Sure they may be feared, or at the very least respected in football and bouncy ball, but bthc is the laughing stock of D-1 hockey. Heck, they probably rank 5th/6 in conferences

Comment

The thing to remember is this. As Donald Trump has demonstrated, no matter how incompetent you may be, exhorbitant sums of money will still cause you to have some success. B1G hockey will ultimately be successful in spite of themselves simply because of all the money thrown at them for football and basketball.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Sioux-perDrunk View Post
                A UND kid was the D1 baseball home run derby Champion last year. So technically you are wrong.
                Nope.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                  Nope.
                  I'm curious to what you mean by nope. Nope as in you don't think a und kid won it or nope that it doesn't count?

Comment

I'm curious to what you mean by nope. Nope as in you don't think a und kid won it or nope that it doesn't count?
                    I have no idea what Happy thinks, but I don't think a home run derby championship counts for anything at any level. Baseball is a team sport and winning a home run derby does nothing to help a team win the championship. Winning an individual title in sports that have both team and individual competition, i.e., golf, tennis, swimming, wrestling, etc., does count, but in those sports you need the individuals to win to help the team win.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

just like your hockey players, Campbell is not from South Manitoba, he is from Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        I have no idea what Happy thinks, but I don't think a home run derby championship counts for anything at any level. Baseball is a team sport and winning a home run derby does nothing to help a team win the championship. Winning an individual title in sports that have both team and individual competition, i.e., golf, tennis, swimming, wrestling, etc., does count, but in those sports you need the individuals to win to help the team win.

Sean
                        ?? The home run derby is a separate tournament then the CWS tournament but It is an individual competition between all the D1 teams that make the cut. So how does it not count? Because you don't want it to?

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          just like your hockey players, Campbell is not from South Manitoba, he is from Florida
                          I said he was a UND kid so where in that did you think I said he was from ND?

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                            So you are saying UND's hockey players aren't from Canada? They are actually from Florida? You'll be kicked out of Gopher fandom for saying such a thing.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

?? The home run derby is a separate tournament then the CWS tournament but It is an individual competition between all the D1 teams that make the cut. So how does it not count? Because you don't want it to?
                              I looked and I didn't see a NCAA championship listed for home run derby. Here are the sports I did see that the NCAA sponsors championships in:

Division I Fall Sports
                              Cross Country (M/W)
                              Field Hockey
                              Football
                              Soccer (M)
                              Soccer (W)
                              Volleyball (W)
                              National Collegiate Water Polo (M)

Division I Winter Sports
                              Basketball (M)
                              Basketball (W)
                              National Collegiate Bowling
                              National Collegiate Fencing
                              National Collegiate Gymnastics (M)
                              National Collegiate Gymnastics (W)
                              Ice Hockey (M)
                              National Collegiate Ice Hockey (W)
                              National Collegiate Rifle (M/W)
                              National Collegiate Skiing (M/W)
                              Swimming and Diving (M/W)
                              Indoor Track and Field (M/W)
                              Wrestling

Division I Spring Sports
                              Baseball
                              Golf (M)
                              Golf (W)
                              Lacrosse (M)
                              Lacrosse (W)
                              Rowing
                              Softball
                              Tennis (M/W)
                              Outdoor Track and Field (M/W)
                              National Collegiate Beach Volleyball (W)
                              National Collegiate Volleyball (M)
                              National Collegiate Water Polo (W)

I also looked for home run derby on the UND athletics website but was unable to find it listed. The sports UND listed as sponsoring are:
                              Baseball (M)
                              Basketball (M/W)
                              Cross Country (M/W)
                              Football
                              Golf (M/W)
                              Hockey (M/W)
                              Soccer (W)
                              Softball (W)
                              Swimming & Diving (M/W)
                              Tennis (M/W)
                              Track & Field (M/W)
                              Volleyball (W)

So it's not me that doesn't count it as a sport, its UND and the NCAA that don't count it as a sport.

Sean
                              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 06-22-2016, 01:41 PM.
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                So it's not me that doesn't count it as a sport, its UND and the NCAA that don't count it as a sport.

Sean
                                Boom, Roasted!
                                :P

Comment

Working...
                                X