Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    I looked and I didn't see a NCAA championship listed for home run derby. Here are the sports I did see that the NCAA sponsors championships in:

    Division I Fall Sports
    Cross Country (M/W)
    Field Hockey
    Football
    Soccer (M)
    Soccer (W)
    Volleyball (W)
    National Collegiate Water Polo (M)

    Division I Winter Sports
    Basketball (M)
    Basketball (W)
    National Collegiate Bowling
    National Collegiate Fencing
    National Collegiate Gymnastics (M)
    National Collegiate Gymnastics (W)
    Ice Hockey (M)
    National Collegiate Ice Hockey (W)
    National Collegiate Rifle (M/W)
    National Collegiate Skiing (M/W)
    Swimming and Diving (M/W)
    Indoor Track and Field (M/W)
    Wrestling

    Division I Spring Sports
    Baseball
    Golf (M)
    Golf (W)
    Lacrosse (M)
    Lacrosse (W)
    Rowing
    Softball
    Tennis (M/W)
    Outdoor Track and Field (M/W)
    National Collegiate Beach Volleyball (W)
    National Collegiate Volleyball (M)
    National Collegiate Water Polo (W)

    I also looked for home run derby on the UND athletics website but was unable to find it listed. The sports UND listed as sponsoring are:
    Baseball (M)
    Basketball (M/W)
    Cross Country (M/W)
    Football
    Golf (M/W)
    Hockey (M/W)
    Soccer (W)
    Softball (W)
    Swimming & Diving (M/W)
    Tennis (M/W)
    Track & Field (M/W)
    Volleyball (W)

    So it's not me that doesn't count it as a sport, its UND and the NCAA that don't count it as a sport.

    Sean
    Try collegehomerunderby.com you'll find him listed as the 2015 champion. I'm mean seriously this is stupid to try fight. There was a D1 college tournament with all the D1 baseball teams that made the cut then when the tournament was over Jeff Cambell who attended UND was the guy who hit the most homeruns and won said tournement. So what is your argument? That college baseball isn't a sport? Or that Und doesn't believe he won? Or that this tournament is make believe?

    P.S.- I'm a little worried for you if you tried to look and see if the college baseball homerun derby was its own sport
    Last edited by Sioux-perDrunk; 06-23-2016, 06:40 PM.

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

      Originally posted by Sioux-perDrunk View Post
      Try collegehomerunderby.com you'll find him listed as the 2015 champion. I'm mean seriously this is stupid to try fight. There was a D1 college tournament with all the D1 baseball teams that made the cut then when the tournament was over Jeff Cambell who attended UND was the guy who hit the most homeruns and won said tournement. So what is your argument? That college baseball isn't a sport? Or that Und doesn't believe he won? Or that this tournament is make believe?

      P.S.- I'm a little worried for you if you tried to look and see if the college baseball homerun derby was its own sport
      Why don't you try these acid tests then.

      Was he on scholarship as a home run derby player?
      Will UND be raising a "2015 Home Run Derby National Champions" banner?

      Your argument is akin to awarding a national championship to Oswego State in 2010, since their player Neil Musselwhite won the Fastest Skater competition at the Frozen Four skills contest. And no, he was not on a Fast Skating scholarship (he was D-III anyway so he couldn't receive one).

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

        I find the ardor with which the NoDaks are swooning over Home Run Boy to be kind of endearing. If that's what they've got, let them enjoy it without nitpicking over whether "Home Run Derby" is actually a sanctioned sport. There's a rumor we had a guy at Tech once that was really good at frisbee golf.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

          Originally posted by geezer View Post
          I find the ardor with which the NoDaks are swooning over Home Run Boy to be kind of endearing. If that's what they've got, let them enjoy it without nitpicking over whether "Home Run Derby" is actually a sanctioned sport. There's a rumor we had a guy at Tech once that was really good at frisbee golf.
          One guy, who is a self-proclaimed drunk, now speaks for a fanbase? I'm a UND alum and I didn't even know there was such a thing as a college home run derby, much less that a guy who played at UND won it.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
            Why don't you try these acid tests then.

            Was he on scholarship as a home run derby player?
            Will UND be raising a "2015 Home Run Derby National Champions" banner?

            Your argument is akin to awarding a national championship to Oswego State in 2010, since their player Neil Musselwhite won the Fastest Skater competition at the Frozen Four skills contest. And no, he was not on a Fast Skating scholarship (he was D-III anyway so he couldn't receive one).
            You must have missed out on the original argument if you think that I'm trying to say that counts as a national championship but with most people on here that try to jump into an argument just to try pile on that's expected. The argument started was started because it was stated that UND would never win in any other sport. It wasn't about national championships. The home run derby is an individual tournement in college baseball that UND happened to win. So technically(like I said at the very beginning but apparently you missed) they have won in other sports besides hockey.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              One guy, who is a self-proclaimed drunk, now speaks for a fanbase? I'm a UND alum and I didn't even know there was such a thing as a college home run derby, much less that a guy who played at UND won it.
              I'm also a UND alum! I chose my nickname too get under the skin of the too PC crowd not to proclam myself as a drunk(glad to see its working) As for you not knowing your school won a D1 baseball tournament against some big name southern schools, it doesn't really mean anything does it?
              Last edited by Sioux-perDrunk; 06-24-2016, 05:56 PM.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by geezer View Post
                I find the ardor with which the NoDaks are swooning over Home Run Boy to be kind of endearing. If that's what they've got, let them enjoy it without nitpicking over whether "Home Run Derby" is actually a sanctioned sport. There's a rumor we had a guy at Tech once that was really good at frisbee golf.
                Again this is a prime example of why you need to read all the messages of an argument instead of the last two.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

                  Originally posted by Happy View Post
                  I was just thinking how a powerful league like the Big Ten could probably push the NCAA around, instead of having them dictate things like names, mascots, and such. You guys might be able to recruit enough old Canadians to win at hockey, but you will never win a championship in the top NCAA division in any other sport, ever.
                  So what sport outside of hockey will U of Minnesota win at going forward? Please don't make me laugh with football or basketball. Please at least try to be sincere with "wresting" ...
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                  North Dakota Hockey:

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

                    The Gophers won the Ultimate Frisbee championship this year so there's that.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

                      Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      The Gophers won the Ultimate Frisbee championship this year so there's that.
                      Hang that with UND's Home Run Derby championship (because neither are NCAA sanctioned).
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                      North Dakota Hockey:

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                        Hang that with UND's Home Run Derby championship (because neither are NCAA sanctioned).
                        Joint riots at the Red River?

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

                          Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                          So what sport outside of hockey will U of Minnesota win at going forward? Please don't make me laugh with football or basketball. Please at least try to be sincere with "wresting" ...

                          We have won it in football, baseball, golf, track and field and wrestling. I expect our next one will be in hockey, since the women have been to the NC game the last 5 years in a row, winning 4 of them.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


                          The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

                          Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

                          this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

                            Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            We have won it in football, baseball, golf, track and field and wrestling. I expect our next one will be in hockey, since the women have been to the NC game the last 5 years in a row, winning 4 of them.
                            First you said " ... to win at hockey ... in any other sport ... " so womens hockey is out. You made the rules; play by them.

                            Minnesota hasn't won in FB, baseball, T&F, or BB in over 50 years. And golf? Seriously. That was a fluke nearly 20 year ago that the southern teams will never allow again (see: baseball).

                            Your correct answer should've been, "yeah, wrasslin'". < banjo music here >
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                            North Dakota Hockey:

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Article on advantages Big 10 Hockey has over other schools.

                              Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              First you said " ... to win at hockey ... in any other sport ... " so womens hockey is out. You made the rules; play by them.

                              Minnesota hasn't won in FB, baseball, T&F, or BB in over 50 years. And golf? Seriously. That was a fluke nearly 20 year ago that the southern teams will never allow again (see: baseball).

                              Your correct answer should've been, "yeah, wrasslin'". < banjo music here >
                              I expect Minnesota's next National Championship will be in women's hockey. then, the men's team will win some. Then any other sport will work out, since no matter what, MN chances will always be higher than UNDs.
                              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


                              The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

                              Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

                              this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X