Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ron Mason, forever 76 years old

Originally posted by Ivan Lennon View Post
    Not only a great coach but a leader on those great SLU teams of the early 1960's w/ All America Arlie Parker - NCAA finalists and ECAC champs
    Yeah, a lot of people probably don't realize that in addition to being a great coach, he was an excellent college hockey player. He was a real sniper.

Comment

Wow what a sad day. While Ron Mason may not be known world-wide like Ali, Prince and Gordie, the world has lost some titans in their respective milieus this year and you can add Ron Mason to the list. Condolences to all those touched by his passing.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
        I felt honored to shake his hand the few times I had the opportunity.

I'm pretty heartbroken right now. his handprints are all over that MSU program. Heck, his handprints are all over MSU in general. I would guess the story is the same at BGSU and LSSU, too.

He was a good man and a great Spartan.
        His handprints don't stop at the borders of East Lansing. They are all over college hockey everywhere. This is surprising and sad.

Comment

Still in disbelief.........

Comment

He turned hockey into the hottest ticket in town at a Big Ten school.

Walking into Munn on Friday and Saturday nights, there was an aura about the place, and you'd be truly stunned to walk out of there with an Spartan L.

He wasn't half bad as AD either, hiring Dantonio.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

You probably won't be surprised that a memorial service is planned for the arena, Thursday at 2pm. I noticed last night peering in that something's being painted or laid down on the center-ice logo ... could be just a refresh or could be something related to the service.
              Last edited by owslachief; 06-14-2016, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                He turned hockey into the hottest ticket in town at a Big Ten school.

Walking into Munn on Friday and Saturday nights, there was an aura about the place, and you'd be truly stunned to walk out of there with an Spartan L.

He wasn't half bad as AD either, hiring Dantonio.
                I was lucky to catch the tail-end of that era ('97 and onward). Could rarely get actual seat tickets until a handful of years later. Yeah, I can remember it rocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Lennon View Post
                  Not only a great coach but a leader on those great SLU teams of the early 1960's w/ All America Arlie Parker - NCAA finalists and ECAC champs
                  Still among the Saints' all-time leaders with 67 goals and 141 points, in just three years, and also led SLU in scoring twice. Very skilled player.
                  "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

It was actually quite moving to see Jerry York at Munn yesterday. Hard to imagine a greater sign of admiration and respect.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                      It was actually quite moving to see Jerry York at Munn yesterday. Hard to imagine a greater sign of admiration and respect.
                      IIRC, Coach York was the runner up to Coach Mason for the MSU position. If my memory does not fail me again, the BGSU AD called East Lansing to see who was #2 and hired Coach York away from Clarkson.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Here's the video tribute they played at the memorial.

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

That was a great tribute. RIP Coach Mason.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            Here's the video tribute they played at the memorial.

Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

Working...
                            X