• Show
Clear All

• Ron Mason, forever 76 years old

Ron Mason article in Michigan Hockey Magazine

http://mihockeynow.com/2016/06/legen...n-passes-away/

Re: Ron Mason, forever 76 years old

Comment

Overnight heart attack, per longtime hockey writer Neil Koepke. Out of nowhere, wow. What an absolute titan of the sport.

Comment

The man had one heck of a coaching tree.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I felt honored to shake his hand the few times I had the opportunity.

I'm pretty heartbroken right now. his handprints are all over that MSU program. Heck, his handprints are all over MSU in general. I would guess the story is the same at BGSU and LSSU, too.

He was a good man and a great Spartan.
          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

A terrific coach and now a true ambassador of our sport. He really was a class act and a difference maker in the sport.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Sad and shocked.

I am a amateur Civil War historian, and something Lt. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson said has always stayed with me.
              After Second Manassas, someone asked him "Gen. how can you be so calm in the midst of battle, with these rounds and shells all around you?" And Stonewall replied, "I do not worry about that. God has already determined the time of my death. I have just to be prepared for it."

Words to try and live by.

Comment

Not only a great coach but a leader on those great SLU teams of the early 1960's w/ All America Arlie Parker - NCAA finalists and ECAC champs
                SLU65

Comment

One of the best, for sure. Bummer.

Comment

Ron Mason was a giant among men. I knew his family, but only met him once, on a very stressful day as our teams faced off at the NCAA Quarterfinals in Providence in 1992. Despite the events of the day, he was very generous with his time and attention. The college hockey world lost a legend today, but my thoughts are with Tracey, Tyler and Travis and the rest of his family who lost so much more. My heartfelt condolences on his passing, and I hope they are able to remember all the good times they shared with him and are comforted knowing how much he loved them.

Comment

Ron Mason was and is a legend in college hockey.

My condolences to all he touched.
                      Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                      My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        I'm pretty heartbroken right now. his handprints are all over that MSU program. Heck, his handprints are all over MSU in general. I would guess the story is the same at BGSU and LSSU, too.
                        UAH, too: our first three varsity coaches were Mason men: Doug Ross (BG), Danton Cole (MSU), and Chris Luongo (MSU). This is a sad day.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

My father was good friends with Jim Ruehl and Ron Mason in the 70's at BGSU. I was an 8 year old kid that got to hang out before games at the BGSU Ice Arena when stars such as Ken Morrow and Mark Wells were there. I would hang out by the back door of the rink where the players and coaches would come in before the games. Coach Mason would always ask me how I was doing, how I liked last nights game, give me a puck etc....just a super nice man. I was so devastated when he left for MSU. The first time MSU came to play at BG in 1981 he saw me, walked over, took an MSU puck out of his pocket and said to add it to my collection, just a real nice guy.

Still have those pucks in a box somewhere.........

Comment

All condolences to those who were close to him and impacted by his life.

Comment

My condolences, Mason greatly impacted the sport.
                              Originally posted by alfablue
                              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                              X