Rule's Committee Recommends 4 on 4 OT, RPI to adjust for OT losses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rule's Committee Recommends 4 on 4 OT, RPI to adjust for OT losses

As a hockey fan I love the NHL 3 on 3 and the old 4 on 4 OT as it is fun up and down action. However I see this as
    just another advantage that will go to the Top tier teams with Bluechip forwards. You get a smaller school who busts
    it but blocking shot and the goalie has a great game and then lose in the 3 on 3 because the other team has the Eichel type
    players and you dont.

For the price we pay now for games just play 20min sud death 5 on 5 and then call it a tie. Why is everyone in such a rush to get home.
    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
      except for the last two minutes of the game and any overtime periods. Officials will be able to review offsides during the last two minutes of the game and all overtime periods.
      It takes a special kind of stupid for something like this to make sense to someone.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
        As a hockey fan I love the NHL 3 on 3 and the old 4 on 4 OT as it is fun up and down action. However I see this as
        just another advantage that will go to the Top tier teams with Bluechip forwards. You get a smaller school who busts
        it but blocking shot and the goalie has a great game and then lose in the 3 on 3 because the other team has the Eichel type
        players and you dont.

For the price we pay now for games just play 20min sud death 5 on 5 and then call it a tie. Why is everyone in such a rush to get home.
        Not really a rush to get home so much as the polarizing attitude of Americans that there must be a winner and there must be a loser. Hence why tie games have been equivocated with "sister kissing".

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Not really a rush to get home so much as the polarizing attitude of Americans that there must be a winner and there must be a loser. Hence why tie games have been equivocated with "sister kissing".
          I don't even think it's that... Because that's died down somewhat... I think it's just trying too hard to be liked
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
            So...no pistols at 10 paces then?
            Sorry, no. That's been discouraged since before the Burr-Hamilton one.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              It takes a special kind of stupid for something like this to make sense to someone.
              Hell has frozen over. I totally agree with NickP.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Will they go by the goal scorer's team's PBP call or the goalie's team's PBP call?
                I would expect in most cases their calls would be in agreement as most announcers show no "homer-ism" in their PBP. However, in the unlikely event that a tie-breaker should required, the goal will be reviewed by the league offices and a vote of the goal point value committee will determine the point value of the goal. It may seem unnecessary to go to these lengths but in the end it is about getting the call right. And who's going to argue with Chuck Norris' call?
                Ryan J
                Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 06-15-2016, 07:57 AM.
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

4 on 4 I really like, let the teams play for a win with plenty more open ice. With 5 on 5 overtime many teams play for the tie, 4 on 4 will force the game open enough.

3 on 3 is just too open, too far from the team game for me.

Shoot-out while exciting for some fans doesn't sit well with this traditionalist. Hockey is a team game should be played as such, leave the shootout for skills events. Give me a tie over a shootout anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                    4 on 4 I really like, let the teams play for a win with plenty more open ice. With 5 on 5 overtime many teams play for the tie, 4 on 4 will force the game open enough.

3 on 3 is just too open, too far from the team game for me.

Shoot-out while exciting for some fans doesn't sit well with this traditionalist. Hockey is a team game should be played as such, leave the shootout for skills events. Give me a tie over a shootout anytime.
                    If 4x4 is so great why not play it all the time?

Comment

Perhaps i did not clarify. With overtime 5 on 5 play many teams will just sit back looking for a tie, whereas you go to 4 on 4 for overtime and more teams will go for the win. During a long game 5 on 5 teams try to win as there is plenty of time to decide the contest, but overtime is limited play so go for it.

Comment

I'm confused. Is there somebody named Rule who heads a committee to make college hockey rules?
                        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I am completely in favor of 4x4 OT, and I think this is an overdue move. It will open up the ice quite a bit, and more games that go to OT should end with a winner. Ties are OK, but playing for/trapping & obstructing your way to a tie is not.
                          "Amen," says a fan of a team that sometimes grapples its way to a one-point result.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            Two point goal is that like scoring before crossing the blue line? Will that count on empty net goals? Or maybe it should be a short handed goal?
                            Brandon Parker's 140-foot goal on Jamie Phillips has to count for 4 goals, right? It's like a Steph Curry bomb from half-court!

I don't mind giving a team credit for making it to OT, regardless of whether they win, tie, or lose. You'd need something like a 3-2-1-0 or 4-3-2-1-0 system, though, for it to be truly fair. I've modeled both for the WCHA over the past three seasons, and while the change in the standing results hasn't been significant, it's also important to remember that teams are playing in a 2-1-0 world, so the incentives aren't as strong. If you make it to OT and you can still pick up three of four league points by going for the win while being guaranteed a point just for making it, doesn't it seem likely that game theory would push you to get the extra point or two?

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                              Perhaps i did not clarify. With overtime 5 on 5 play many teams will just sit back looking for a tie, whereas you go to 4 on 4 for overtime and more teams will go for the win. During a long game 5 on 5 teams try to win as there is plenty of time to decide the contest, but overtime is limited play so go for it.
                              What for the fresh hell? How does changing the number of players on the ice end up giving you a game theory incentive to score? 4v4 is about giving players ice and allowing more skilled skates the chance to score a goal. I don't think that's changing incentives, though —*the risk/reward is still the same.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                                I'm confused. Is there somebody named Rule who heads a committee to make college hockey rules?
                                I'm not one to blame my phone for typos, but thanks for catching it.
                                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X