Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
      Any of our RPI experts have an idea how they will do this? Honestly this seems bigger than switching to 4 v 4 OT to me.
      The only sane way is to make OT wins worth less... But the powers that be tend to offer the nonsense idea that overtime games should be worth more.

This only leads to bad things
      Last edited by Patman; 06-12-2016, 01:25 PM.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Re: Rule's Committee Recommends 4 on 4 OT, RPI to adjust for OT losses

I don't understand why a goal in the final two minutes of a period should be handled any differently than any other goal. They all count the same. And a "poor call" in the sixth minute can change the outcome of a game just as surely as one in the nineteenth.

I'm not a fan of changing the number of players on the ice for overtimes. Teams are built in different ways to become what they are. Playing HS soccer a generation ago we were the eighth-place team with the all-conference goalie playing the number one team. After a certain amount of OT, the gimmick was to play without goalies, and we were seriously disadvantaged. Why not play without the team's top goal scorer? It makes as much sense. The game is set to play 5-on-5 (if you'd like to make an argument that we should go to 4-on-4 for the full 60, because of size, speed, and skill, then go ahead, but...) and changing that changes the very fiber of the game. If ties are unacceptable, keep playing 5-on-5 until a goal is scored or a hole is worn through the ice. However, if ties are acceptable (the camp I am in), then accept the tie and move on.
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          The only sane way is to make OT wins worth less... But the powers that be tend to offer the nonsense idea that overtime games should be worth more.

This only leads to bad things
          If you're implementing OT differently that regulation, then you have to use a 3-2-1-0 points system. And, of ties are still allowed, the an OT tie should be worth less than a regulation victory.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
            ...I'm not a fan of changing the number of players on the ice for overtimes. Teams are built in different ways to become what they are. Playing HS soccer a generation ago we were the eighth-place team with the all-conference goalie playing the number one team. After a certain amount of OT, the gimmick was to play without goalies, and we were seriously disadvantaged. Why not play without the team's top goal scorer? It makes as much sense. The game is set to play 5-on-5 (if you'd like to make an argument that we should go to 4-on-4 for the full 60, because of size, speed, and skill, then go ahead, but...) and changing that changes the very fiber of the game. If ties are unacceptable, keep playing 5-on-5 until a goal is scored or a hole is worn through the ice. However, if ties are acceptable (the camp I am in), then accept the tie and move on.
            THIS!!! All of it. And +1 infinite times over.

To paraphrase a couple of points WeAreNDHockey made (see Post #25), the number of players on the ice is not and never has been a contributing reason for the decrease in scoring. Outrageously oversized goalie equipment and the mindset of playing to not be scored on (instead of to score) are the real reasons why we're having this discussion in the first place.

WRT the former, the NHL and primary governing bodies (USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, and the impotent IIHF) all turned a blind eye while goalie equipment was being pumped up, all of them blithely changing their rules to accommodate the manufacturers. Anybody besides me want to believe that $$$$ changed hands while this was going on?

WRT to the latter, playing to not be scored on is a prime example of what I call the soccer-ization of ice hockey. I'll probably get hate mail for this but despite my best efforts to come to appreciate soccer, it bores me to tears. Except for relatively rare bursts of energy, soccer strikes me just a bunch of people standing around playing keep-away and watching the clock run. Hockey coaches seem to have picked up on that and the result is endless dump-and-chase-and-wait-for-a-break and its defensive counterpart, the neutral zone trap.

So let soccer be soccer, and if it likes that style of play and thinks penalty kicks are the way to decide matches, then so be it. But let's get hockey back to being hockey. And if one team isn't better than the other on a given night, then, also, so be it. The only fair and equitable outcome is a tie on the scoreboard and a standings point for each team, not gimmick-laden OTs and [barf] shootouts.
            Last edited by Split-N; 06-12-2016, 03:21 PM.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
              It wasn't sudden death?
              That is correct. Through the 1936-37 season overtime consisted of a 10-minute overtime and if still tied a second 10-minute overtime. Starting in 1937-38 overtime was reduced to a single 10-minute overtime and starting with the 1949-50 season a single 10-minute sudden death overtime period was played. Failure to played overtime was to result in a forfeit. These are NCAA Ice Hockey Rules and I have no idea what the NHL or other leagues used.

Sean

P.S. There also used to be one minute penalties.
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                THIS!!! All of it. And +1 infinite times over.

To paraphrase a couple of points WeAreNDHockey made (see Post #25), the number of players on the ice is not and never has been a contributing reason for the decrease in scoring. Outrageously oversized goalie equipment and the mindset of playing to not be scored on (instead of to score) are the real reasons why we're having this discussion in the first place.

WRT the former, the NHL and primary governing bodies (USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, and the impotent IIHF) all turned a blind eye while goalie equipment was being pumped up, all of them blithely changing their rules to accommodate the manufacturers. Anybody besides me want to believe that $$$$ changed hands while this was going on?

WRT to the latter, playing to not be scored on is a prime example of what I call the soccer-ization of ice hockey. I'll probably get hate mail for this but despite my best efforts to come to appreciate soccer, it bores me to tears. Except for relatively rare bursts of energy, soccer strikes me just a bunch of people standing around playing keep-away and watching the clock run. Hockey coaches seem to have picked up on that and the result is endless dump-and-chase-and-wait-for-a-break and its defensive counterpart, the neutral zone trap.

So let soccer be soccer, and if it likes that style of play and thinks penalty kicks are the way to decide matches, then so be it. But let's get hockey back to being hockey. And if one team isn't better than the other on a given night, then, also, so be it. The only fair and equitable outcome is a tie on the scoreboard and a standings point for each team, not gimmick-laden OTs and [barf] shootouts.
                Not only is soccer boring to watch, but the constant flopping in men's soccer is repugnant and sickening.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Not only is soccer boring to watch, but the constant flopping in men's soccer is repugnant and sickening.
                  But but but the beautiful game.......

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                    Any of our RPI experts have an idea how they will do this? Honestly this seems bigger than switching to 4 v 4 OT to me.
                    Probably the same way they do IIHF.

Comment

Tinker, tinker tinker... the NHL can't stop changing the rules and college hockey doesn't have the self-control not to copy the NHL Another needless change for the sake of change. I can't wait until the two-point goal is introduced...

Rather than give-aways for fans upon entering games we'll soon have to hand out attendance trophies to all fans as they leave the game so everyone can leave feeling like a winner since apparently no one can live with a tie any more...

Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        Tinker, tinker tinker... the NHL can't stop changing the rules and college hockey doesn't have the self-control not to copy the NHL Another needless change for the sake of change. I can't wait until the two-point goal is introduced...

Rather than give-aways for fans upon entering games we'll soon have to hand out attendance trophies to all fans as they leave the game so everyone can leave feeling like a winner since apparently no one can live with a tie any more...

Ryan J
                        Two point goal is that like scoring before crossing the blue line? Will that count on empty net goals? Or maybe it should be a short handed goal?

Will never understand the need for special entertainment between period on the ice. Need to do chuck a puck for funds ok. tricycle races....not so much

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                          Two point goal is that like scoring before crossing the blue line? Will that count on empty net goals? Or maybe it should be a short handed goal?

Will never understand the need for special entertainment between period on the ice. Need to do chuck a puck for funds ok. tricycle races....not so much
                          Hey now, Indoor Soccer has a three-point line. I'm sure the NHL will figure out some way...

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            Actually the point value will be awarded based on the play-by-play call. Any goal for which the announcer states "The netminder really needs to make that save..." or "Oh boy, the goalie is going to want that one back..." will be a one-point goal. All others will count as two. Different scoring for goals from beyond the blue line will be unnecessary as they will likely fall under the criteria of the one-point goal as outlined above...
                            Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Hey now, Indoor Soccer has a three-point line. I'm sure the NHL will figure out some way...
                            That was exactly what I was thinking about, well that and the fact that the NHL is run by an NBA cast-off.
                            Ryan J
                            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 06-13-2016, 11:26 AM.
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              Actually the point value will be awarded based on the play-by-play call. Any goal for which the announcer states "The netminder really needs to make that save..." or "Oh boy, the goalie is going to want that one back..." will be a one-point goal. All others will count as two. Different scoring for goals from beyond the blue line will be unnecessary as they will likely fall under the criteria of the one-point goal as outlined above...

Ryan J
                              Will they go by the goal scorer's team's PBP call or the goalie's team's PBP call?
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                Overtime has existed from the start. Maybe we should go back to full overtime periods like they had back then, none of this sudden death crap.

Sean
                                So...no pistols at 10 paces then?
                                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Working...
                                X