• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split-N
    replied
    Re: Rule's Committee Recommends 4 on 4 OT, RPI to adjust for OT losses

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    It takes a special kind of stupid for something like this to make sense to someone.
    Hell has frozen over. I totally agree with NickP.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
    So...no pistols at 10 paces then?
    Sorry, no. That's been discouraged since before the Burr-Hamilton one.

Sean

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied
    Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Not really a rush to get home so much as the polarizing attitude of Americans that there must be a winner and there must be a loser. Hence why tie games have been equivocated with "sister kissing".
    I don't even think it's that... Because that's died down somewhat... I think it's just trying too hard to be liked

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
    As a hockey fan I love the NHL 3 on 3 and the old 4 on 4 OT as it is fun up and down action. However I see this as
    just another advantage that will go to the Top tier teams with Bluechip forwards. You get a smaller school who busts
    it but blocking shot and the goalie has a great game and then lose in the 3 on 3 because the other team has the Eichel type
    players and you dont.

For the price we pay now for games just play 20min sud death 5 on 5 and then call it a tie. Why is everyone in such a rush to get home.
    Not really a rush to get home so much as the polarizing attitude of Americans that there must be a winner and there must be a loser. Hence why tie games have been equivocated with "sister kissing".

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    except for the last two minutes of the game and any overtime periods. Officials will be able to review offsides during the last two minutes of the game and all overtime periods.
    It takes a special kind of stupid for something like this to make sense to someone.

Leave a comment:

• Cat lover
    replied

As a hockey fan I love the NHL 3 on 3 and the old 4 on 4 OT as it is fun up and down action. However I see this as
    just another advantage that will go to the Top tier teams with Bluechip forwards. You get a smaller school who busts
    it but blocking shot and the goalie has a great game and then lose in the 3 on 3 because the other team has the Eichel type
    players and you dont.

For the price we pay now for games just play 20min sud death 5 on 5 and then call it a tie. Why is everyone in such a rush to get home.

Leave a comment:

• blazer777
    replied

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Overtime has existed from the start. Maybe we should go back to full overtime periods like they had back then, none of this sudden death crap.

Sean
    So...no pistols at 10 paces then?

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Actually the point value will be awarded based on the play-by-play call. Any goal for which the announcer states "The netminder really needs to make that save..." or "Oh boy, the goalie is going to want that one back..." will be a one-point goal. All others will count as two. Different scoring for goals from beyond the blue line will be unnecessary as they will likely fall under the criteria of the one-point goal as outlined above...

Ryan J
    Will they go by the goal scorer's team's PBP call or the goalie's team's PBP call?

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Two point goal is that like scoring before crossing the blue line? Will that count on empty net goals? Or maybe it should be a short handed goal?
    Actually the point value will be awarded based on the play-by-play call. Any goal for which the announcer states "The netminder really needs to make that save..." or "Oh boy, the goalie is going to want that one back..." will be a one-point goal. All others will count as two. Different scoring for goals from beyond the blue line will be unnecessary as they will likely fall under the criteria of the one-point goal as outlined above...
    Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Hey now, Indoor Soccer has a three-point line. I'm sure the NHL will figure out some way...
    That was exactly what I was thinking about, well that and the fact that the NHL is run by an NBA cast-off.
    Ryan J
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 06-13-2016, 12:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Two point goal is that like scoring before crossing the blue line? Will that count on empty net goals? Or maybe it should be a short handed goal?

Will never understand the need for special entertainment between period on the ice. Need to do chuck a puck for funds ok. tricycle races....not so much
    Hey now, Indoor Soccer has a three-point line. I'm sure the NHL will figure out some way...

Leave a comment:

• giwan
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Tinker, tinker tinker... the NHL can't stop changing the rules and college hockey doesn't have the self-control not to copy the NHL Another needless change for the sake of change. I can't wait until the two-point goal is introduced...

Rather than give-aways for fans upon entering games we'll soon have to hand out attendance trophies to all fans as they leave the game so everyone can leave feeling like a winner since apparently no one can live with a tie any more...

Ryan J

Will never understand the need for special entertainment between period on the ice. Need to do chuck a puck for funds ok. tricycle races....not so much

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied

Tinker, tinker tinker... the NHL can't stop changing the rules and college hockey doesn't have the self-control not to copy the NHL Another needless change for the sake of change. I can't wait until the two-point goal is introduced...

Rather than give-aways for fans upon entering games we'll soon have to hand out attendance trophies to all fans as they leave the game so everyone can leave feeling like a winner since apparently no one can live with a tie any more...

Ryan J

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Any of our RPI experts have an idea how they will do this? Honestly this seems bigger than switching to 4 v 4 OT to me.
    Probably the same way they do IIHF.

Leave a comment:

• giwan
    replied
    Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Not only is soccer boring to watch, but the constant flopping in men's soccer is repugnant and sickening.
    But but but the beautiful game.......

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied
    Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    THIS!!! All of it. And +1 infinite times over.

To paraphrase a couple of points WeAreNDHockey made (see Post #25), the number of players on the ice is not and never has been a contributing reason for the decrease in scoring. Outrageously oversized goalie equipment and the mindset of playing to not be scored on (instead of to score) are the real reasons why we're having this discussion in the first place.

WRT the former, the NHL and primary governing bodies (USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, and the impotent IIHF) all turned a blind eye while goalie equipment was being pumped up, all of them blithely changing their rules to accommodate the manufacturers. Anybody besides me want to believe that $$$$ changed hands while this was going on?

WRT to the latter, playing to not be scored on is a prime example of what I call the soccer-ization of ice hockey. I'll probably get hate mail for this but despite my best efforts to come to appreciate soccer, it bores me to tears. Except for relatively rare bursts of energy, soccer strikes me just a bunch of people standing around playing keep-away and watching the clock run. Hockey coaches seem to have picked up on that and the result is endless dump-and-chase-and-wait-for-a-break and its defensive counterpart, the neutral zone trap.

So let soccer be soccer, and if it likes that style of play and thinks penalty kicks are the way to decide matches, then so be it. But let's get hockey back to being hockey. And if one team isn't better than the other on a given night, then, also, so be it. The only fair and equitable outcome is a tie on the scoreboard and a standings point for each team, not gimmick-laden OTs and [barf] shootouts.
    Not only is soccer boring to watch, but the constant flopping in men's soccer is repugnant and sickening.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X