Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Originally posted by rihockey44 View Post
    Any speculation on what Brendan does with the line up this weekend? Shake things up? Anyone from the stands in the line up? Goalie?
    Start Nieto - get his confidence back. In his defense, I saw him play in 3 of the first 4 games Brown played. He did well. Not sure what happened since then. I don't think it was a mistake to start him from day one as a freshman. I also think the lines are OK. perhaps just get them to shoot, shoot and shoot, look for rebounds and crash the net. Go back to a more physical play as well. Army will be a good test. With a week of practice I can't imagine anoher poor performance.

Comment

7.5 years without a 0.500 season. Soon to be 8. Every year progressively worse than the prior year in terms of wins with the exception of a single season. The bar has been set exceptionally low and there is no reason to expect change is on the horizon. The measure of success seems to be winning a couple games per year and then talking about how great the future looks until reality sets in again. Lets be honest, probably half of those wins are due to the fact the opposition has penciled in the Brown game as a win and are looking ahead to the next game on their schedule.

I find it hard to believe that another coach wouldn't have squeezed more than 2 points out of this group so far.

While some of the recent commits who later decomitted never had a realistic chance of getting past admissions, there are just as many who are turning to other Ivy's because they want to continue to develop their hockey game in addition to their minds.

Brown is the 2nd oldest hockey program in the nation, a great school with a great campus in an urban setting. Many DI schools would love to have these assets. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any interest in capitalizing on them.

At this point I would be happy seeing a competitive game every once in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by H.Truman View Post
        7.5 years without a 0.500 season. Soon to be 8. Every year progressively worse than the prior year in terms of wins with the exception of a single season. The bar has been set exceptionally low and there is no reason to expect change is on the horizon. The measure of success seems to be winning a couple games per year and then talking about how great the future looks until reality sets in again. Lets be honest, probably half of those wins are due to the fact the opposition has penciled in the Brown game as a win and are looking ahead to the next game on their schedule.

I find it hard to believe that another coach wouldn't have squeezed more than 2 points out of this group so far.

While some of the recent commits who later decomitted never had a realistic chance of getting past admissions, there are just as many who are turning to other Ivy's because they want to continue to develop their hockey game in addition to their minds.

Brown is the 2nd oldest hockey program in the nation, a great school with a great campus in an urban setting. Many DI schools would love to have these assets. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any interest in capitalizing on them.

At this point I would be happy seeing a competitive game every once in a while.
        While I agree with your overall point, we did finish with a winning record in 2012-13 (16-14-6).

Comment

Brown 3 Army 1 final score. Stats shows that Brown played a solid overall game. Corcoran is on a roll - 2 goals. let's hope this continues next weekend. My humble suggestion is to continue with the players that played tonight next weekend. We played U and RPI tough early on and maybe now we have the game experience and confidence to take two. That's my prediction.

Comment

Nice win last night! It's great to see Corcoran and Lafferty thriving this year. I'm also glad to see Nieto put in a strong performance.

An interesting note: Tommy Marchin once again led both teams with eight shot attempts. When are the goals going to start coming for this kid? He's clearly doing his best to generate offense; the shots just aren't going in like they were last year. Very strange, and he must be frustrated.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
              Nice win last night! It's great to see Corcoran and Lafferty thriving this year. I'm also glad to see Nieto put in a strong performance.

An interesting note: Tommy Marchin once again led both teams with eight shot attempts. When are the goals going to start coming for this kid? He's clearly doing his best to generate offense; the shots just aren't going in like they were last year. Very strange, and he must be frustrated.
              Was at the game last night. Good group of Brown fans sitting behind me. Corcoran and Nieto were the difference last night in a pretty close game. Corcoran gave up his body in extending himself in beating the Army defense for a tap in on a cross ice pass for the first goal and then stuck with it after his wrap around was initially stopped on his second goal. His second attempt fluttered up and over the Army goalie Parker Gahagen. Nice bit of skill on Corcorans part. Nieto was strong all night with the only goal a seeing eye goal that he was screened on as the shot made its way through a mess of bodies. Brown had the better play for most of the game and the win was well deserved. Good luck with the rest of your season.
              RPI Engineers
              RIT Tigers
              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

Eight shots! I can't recall seeing before a Brown player have that many shots in a game (3 periods) before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                  Was at the game last night. Good group of Brown fans sitting behind me. Corcoran and Nieto were the difference last night in a pretty close game. Corcoran gave up his body in extending himself in beating the Army defense for a tap in on a cross ice pass for the first goal and then stuck with it after his wrap around was initially stopped on his second goal. His second attempt fluttered up and over the Army goalie Parker Gahagen. Nice bit of skill on Corcorans part. Nieto was strong all night with the only goal a seeing eye goal that he was screened on as the shot made its way through a mess of bodies. Brown had the better play for most of the game and the win was well deserved. Good luck with the rest of your season.
                  Thanks for your thoughts! It's always good to hear a neutral assessment of the team. I'm glad you got to see them play a decent game; there have been some real clunkers this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                    Eight shots! I can't recall seeing before a Brown player have that many shots in a game (3 periods) before.
                    The season-high appears to be a tie between Max Willman with nine against Union and Sam Lafferty with nine against Cornell. So Marchin's performance against Army was right up there with the best individual displays of offense we've had so far.

It's got to be just a matter of time before he starts scoring again, right? It's crazy to think a player can produce that many chances and be so seldom rewarded.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                      The season-high appears to be a tie between Max Willman with nine against Union and Sam Lafferty with nine against Cornell. So Marchin's performance against Army was right up there with the best individual displays of offense we've had so far.

It's got to be just a matter of time before he starts scoring again, right? It's crazy to think a player can produce that many chances and be so seldom rewarded.
                      Willman and Lafferty have played well in the past against Union, especially Willman. I didn't realize he had that many shots the last game against U. I was there and noted his shots were high quality and the U goalie robbed him at least twice. U has a tough time controlling him. last game we had 4 goals and it seems we match up well with Union. If we can control Vecchione, we can win.

Comment

Turk: Are you going to the Saturday afternoon game? Should be an interesting one, to say the least.

Comment

Garnet Hathaway Main Event - http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/12/09/...rnet-hathaway/

From Mark Divver's Twitter - good coverage of brown alums in the pros

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                            Turk: Are you going to the Saturday afternoon game? Should be an interesting one, to say the least.
                            No. I don’t even have the urge to go to home games anymore Mike.
                            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Brown played well. Union is clearly a good team and played much better than when we first played them in November.3-1 Final. Hope good play continues into tomorrow's game. Does RPI wake up after a 7-3 loss or does its woes continue. Hard to believe RPI is really struggling. Anyone have a good tag line for the game?

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                                No. I don’t even have the urge to go to home games anymore Mike.
                                I know what you mean. In the past I always took in a couple of games at Houston and saw some excellent play. Now, even if a strong non-cnf team to town I wouldn't go.

BTW, I feel the same now for the Devils without Lorito, Lappin and Danis.

Comment

Working...
                                X