University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    The Minnesota systems (Uof or MnSCU) run as independent, autonomous campuses each with a president.
    North Dakota runs the same way under the State Board of Higher Ed.

What Alaska is proposing is consolidation under a single president.
    Right, they are still separate colleges. Just like the different UMass schools and the various SUNY schools, etc.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Re: University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      Thanks. What about Duluth?
      Hopefully the full name of University of Minnesota Duluth would answer the question for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        along with massive cuts at the administration level (as in the system doesn't need four billion Vice Chancellors and Regents).
        I suspect that this is really the problem, and that *IF* they had the fortitude/sense to cut back on administration, they wouldn't even need to combine the universities into one entity in the first place. Furthermore, the fact that they don't have the stomach or financial wherewithal to do this without combining the universities indicates to me that while this might solve their budget problems (very) short term, they'll end up right back in the same situation in the future - with bloated/excess administration in the new "one university" setup.

I seriously doubt that long term this fixes their problems if implemented. This reeks of someone acting like they are making "tough" decisions, when in reality they are making easy/expedient short term decisions and kicking the can down the road instead of addressing the true underlying issues.

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
          I suspect that this is really the problem, and that *IF* they had the fortitude/sense to cut back on administration, they wouldn't even need to combine the universities into one entity in the first place. Furthermore, the fact that they don't have the stomach or financial wherewithal to do this without combining the universities indicates to me that while this might solve their budget problems (very) short term, they'll end up right back in the same situation in the future - with bloated/excess administration in the new "one university" setup.

I seriously doubt that long term this fixes their problems if implemented. This reeks of someone acting like they are making "tough" decisions, when in reality they are making easy/expedient short term decisions and kicking the can down the road instead of addressing the true underlying issues.
          Yeah, it is a really sad situation. Basically, it would be ONE University of Alaska with an extension in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau. A friend that works at the University indicated that the combined university would be a Single university in Alaska with your transcripts that would say "University of Alaska" regardless of where you went...(whether in Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau). Duplicate academic programs would be eliminated. Because of Title 9, sports would have to be limited to one location. There is NO WAY athletics could be split under NCAA allowances, unless we get some kind of a waiver. The Board of Regents likes the idea and is likely to pass the initiative in June. I really feel bad for the individual campuses. I don't know what can be done to stop this unless the legislature intervenes with more money. However, now that President Johnsen has a plan, this will move forward. Absolutely 100 percent sad. I would like to be optimistic about his too, but it is real hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
            Yeah, it is a really sad situation. Basically, it would be ONE University of Alaska with an extension in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau. A friend that works at the University indicated that the combined university would be a Single university in Alaska with your transcripts that would say "University of Alaska" regardless of where you went...(whether in Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau). Duplicate academic programs would be eliminated. Because of Title 9, sports would have to be limited to one location. There is NO WAY athletics could be split under NCAA allowances, unless we get some kind of a waiver. The Board of Regents likes the idea and is likely to pass the initiative in June. I really feel bad for the individual campuses. I don't know what can be done to stop this unless the legislature intervenes with more money. However, now that President Johnsen has a plan, this will move forward. Absolutely 100 percent sad. I would like to be optimistic about his too, but it is real hard.
            The University of Texas Rio Grand Valley tried to split up there sports between the Brownville location and the Edinburg location and NCAA said NO! so UTRGV has all their sports at the Edinburg location. (this is a result of the UT-Brownville and UT-Pan American combining to become UTRGV. Also, University of Maine is trying to do same thing but all their sports are going to be in Orono. This is just an example.)
            Last edited by Wolfman; 05-17-2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Also, University of Maine is trying to do same thing but all their sports are going to be in Orono. This is just an example.)
              What? This is not factual.

The University of Maine is the state flagship university. It has Division I sports, it is located in Orono and its teams are the Black Bears.

The other University of Maine System schools all have sports too:

-University of Southern Maine Huskies (D-III Little East Conference)
              -University of Maine at Farmington Beavers (D-III North Atlantic Conference)
              -University of Maine at Machias Clippers (USCAA Yankee Small College Conference)
              -University of Maine at Presque Isle Owls (D-III Independent)
              -University of Maine at Fort Kent Bengals (USCAA Yankee Small College Conference)
              -University of Maine at Augusta Moose (USCAA Yankee Small College Conference)

There is no movement to drop sports at any of these campuses.

There are also three junior colleges with sports that are Maine public universities:

-Central Maine Community College Mustangs (USCAA/Yankee)
              -Eastern Maine Community College Golden Eagles (USCAA/Yankee)
              -Southern Maine Community College Seawolves (USCAA/Yankee)

There is no movement to cut athletics at any of these schools.

There is also a public maritime college:

-Maine Maritime Academy Mariners (D-III North Atlantic Conference)

There is no move to drop sports at MMA.

Could you be referring to the fact that the University of Southern Maine has three campuses (Portland, Gorham and Lewiston), but one athletic program?
              Last edited by AMC; 05-17-2016, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I don't know what can be done to stop this unless the legislature intervenes with more money. However, now that President Johnsen has a plan, this will move forward. Absolutely 100 percent sad. I would like to be optimistic about his too, but it is real hard.
                Can't the governor and/or legistlature step in and fire the entire Board of Regents and/or President Johnsen? I would suggest that if people put pressure on those who can in turn put pressure on the Board and President (make them fear for their jobs), this could change in a hurry.

Comment

On the UMaine situation, I read in the Bangor times that the system would be combined with USM and the other "branch campuses." But, the Orono campus would maintain the sports programs. Maybe I didn't understand the article. I know UTRGV though has merged as one campus.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                    What? This is not factual.

The University of Maine is the state flagship university. It has Division I sports, it is located in Orono and its teams are the Black Bears.

The other University of Maine System schools all have sports too:

-University of Southern Maine Huskies (D-III Little East Conference)
                    -University of Maine at Farmington Beavers (D-III North Atlantic Conference)
                    -University of Maine at Machias Clippers (USCAA Yankee Small College Conference)
                    -University of Maine at Presque Isle Owls (D-III Independent)
                    -University of Maine at Fort Kent Bengals (USCAA Yankee Small College Conference)
                    -University of Maine at Augusta Moose (USCAA Yankee Small College Conference)

There is no movement to drop sports at any of these campuses.

There are also three junior colleges with sports that are Maine public universities:

-Central Maine Community College Mustangs (USCAA/Yankee)
                    -Eastern Maine Community College Golden Eagles (USCAA/Yankee)
                    -Southern Maine Community College Seawolves (USCAA/Yankee)

There is no movement to cut athletics at any of these schools.

There is also a public maritime college:

-Maine Maritime Academy Mariners (D-III North Atlantic Conference)

There is no move to drop sports at MMA.

Could you be referring to the fact that the University of Southern Maine has three campuses (Portland, Gorham and Lewiston), but one athletic program?
                    BTW, wow, Maine has a lot of universities!!!! Way more than Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                      Can't the governor and/or legistlature step in and fire the entire Board of Regents and/or President Johnsen? I would suggest that if people put pressure on those who can in turn put pressure on the Board and President (make them fear for their jobs), this could change in a hurry.
                      With all due respect, you may want to just sit back and watch this train wreck happen and not try to guess how we might prevent it. If you asked the “people” of Alaska (and a third of our legislators), they would recommend you cut all funding for sports, all Liberal Arts programs (well, they’re liberal after all), and probably the whole University system. If the good Lord had wanted uppity educated folk he would not have let Trump University go defunct.

Comment

If cost cutting is the real issue, I doubt the UA leaders would be interested, but one way to save varsity sports at both campuses would be to have one of them join the NAIA. The University of Michigan-Dearborn gets around the one school, one athletic department rules of the NCAA by having their teams play in the NAIA (with the hockey team currently at the club level and playing in the ACHA). With the rumors of a possible return of NAIA hockey in the near future, it could be the best way of preserving both programs at the varsity level (albeit at a much lower level for one of them). The NAIA still allows athletic scholarships. With one in the NCAA and the other in the NAIA maybe Fairbanks and Anchorage could at least still play exhibition games against each other at the beginning of the season. I know many of the satellite campuses in the Ohio state school system (OSU-Lima, OSU-Mansfield, OU-Zanesville, Miami-Hamilton etc.) offer varsity sports and compete in what's called the Ohio Regional Campuses Conference. Alaska could maybe organize something like that. The BCIHL, a five team hockey league with four teams in British Columbia and one in Washington also allows varsity programs (four of the five teams are club programs. One, Trinity Western University, is varsity). So there are options to save both hockey programs if combining the schools is inevitable. Its not ideal, or very likely, but its better than nothing.
                        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                        University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                          If cost cutting is the real issue, I doubt the UA leaders would be interested, but one way to save varsity sports at both campuses would be to have one of them join the NAIA. The University of Michigan-Dearborn gets around the one school, one athletic department rules of the NCAA by having their teams play in the NAIA (with the hockey team currently at the club level and playing in the ACHA). With the rumors of a possible return of NAIA hockey in the near future, it could be the best way of preserving both programs at the varsity level (albeit at a much lower level for one of them). The NAIA still allows athletic scholarships. With one in the NCAA and the other in the NAIA maybe Fairbanks and Anchorage could at least still play exhibition games against each other at the beginning of the season. I know many of the satellite campuses in the Ohio state school system (OSU-Lima, OSU-Mansfield, OU-Zanesville, Miami-Hamilton etc.) offer varsity sports and compete in what's called the Ohio Regional Campuses Conference. Alaska could maybe organize something like that. The BCIHL, a five team hockey league with four teams in British Columbia and one in Washington also allows varsity programs (four of the five teams are club programs. One, Trinity Western University, is varsity). So there are options to save both hockey programs if combining the schools is inevitable. Its not ideal, or very likely, but its better than nothing.
                          There's no way both drop down to NAIA, especially considering how successful UAA has been at their Division II sports.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Actually what it really is UAF forcing UAA (and UAS) into their control and taking their budget in an effort to save themselves. Watch as most things will end up in Fairbanks: the marquee programs like engineering, education, and business, the research money, the marquee athletic team etc. Like I said, this is people in Fairbanks saving their skin and forcing it down other people's throats. If the UA system really wanted to consolidate they do it properly: UAF keeps the research and science related programs while everything else, business, education, engineering, aviation, and yes athletics, goes to UAA along with massive cuts at the administration level (as in the system doesn't need four billion Vice Chancellors and Regents). But since the majority of the mucky mucks in the UA system are in Fairbanks that's where they want things.

tl;dr It's basically "UAA gets the students, UAF gets the funding" just being codified.
                            If Men's Ice Hockey goes to _airbanks, all the other A D'S in the WCHA will vote for _airbanks to pay not only plane tickets and rooms that they now pay, they will pile on about all the fee's they can make up until they can all receive a check from the league for a 100 G's. ...just like the old day's

Or they will just tell _airbanks. ............ Don't leave the porch light on cuz we ain't coming.
                            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

There's no way both drop down to NAIA, especially considering how successful UAA has been at their Division II sports.
                              That's what I'm saying. One would stay in the NCAA and the other would move to the NAIA. Thus allowing both campuses to keep varsity athletics even though its technically one school, just like UM and UM-Dearborn. As for which stays NCAA and which moves to the NAIA, that would be up to you guys. I don't know enough about the history of athletics at either school, especially outside of hockey, to decide which one deserves to stay in the NCAA. Obviously this is all hopeful speculation on my part which likely has no basis in reality... but as a college hockey fan (and former accepted applicant to UAA) I'd hate to see either school lose its hockey team. From the sounds of things, it looks like you guys will be lucky if either school has any kind of varsity sports at the end of the day.
                              Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                              University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                                If Men's Ice Hockey goes to _airbanks, all the other A D'S in the WCHA will vote for _airbanks to pay not only plane tickets and rooms that they now pay, they will pile on about all the fee's they can make up until they can all receive a check from the league for a 100 G's. ...just like the old day's

Or they will just tell _airbanks. ............ Don't leave the porch light on cuz we ain't coming.
                                That's OK I guess. At least we won't guarantee them four points which is obviously your current arrangement.

Comment

Working...
                                X