D-1 Hockey in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Each universities NCAA compliance would now be in charge of passports and visas. It would be a once a year thing (potentially twice with playoffs) but could be a huge headache for students and staff if it doesn't go smoothly.
    Haven't heard of any problems among the GNAC schools.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Re: D-1 Hockey in Canada?

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      Haven't heard of any problems among the GNAC schools.
      Ya I imagine they've already had to figure this out to join the NCAA in the first place. I don't think it would be an issue.
      Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
      University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Each universities NCAA compliance would now be in charge of passports and visas. It would be a once a year thing (potentially twice with playoffs) but could be a huge headache for students and staff if it doesn't go smoothly.
        Hasn't been an issue in the GNAC. Besides, most college hockey teams have their fair share of Canadians on the roster anyway. And, you don't need a Visa to visit Canada as a US or EU citizen.

SFU has been a good add for the GNAC. With SFU the conference, and schools in it, now have coverage in all three major Pacific NW cities (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver). Having the WCHA get coverage in Vancouver would not be a bad thing.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
          I always wondered why a Canadian school wasn't playing NCAA Division 1 hockey. Canadian teams and American teams play each other at the pro level and have been forever.
          SFU is the only NCAA school in Canada and wouldn't be possible without that NCAA membership. If this were to take hold to a more serious degree (hypothetically) i would expect some extreme (Canadian) governmental lobbying by the CHL

Edit: iirc, many moons ago UBC made overtures but nothing developed... Ya never know
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Re: D-1 Hockey in Canada?

Originally posted by Patman View Post
            SFU is the only NCAA school in Canada and wouldn't be possible without that NCAA membership. If this were to take hold to a more serious degree (hypothetically) i would expect some extreme (Canadian) governmental lobbying by the CHL

Edit: iirc, many moons ago UBC made overtures but nothing developed... Ya never know
            Ya I think UBC announced a few year back that they were abandoning any consideration of NCAA membership. It would be interesting to see if a successful SFU NCAA team could encourage them to change their minds. UBC already as an on-campus arena that seats over 5000 for hockey. But agreed, I think the CHL would do everything in its power to stop the spread of NCAA hockey into Canada.
            Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
            University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
              Ya I think UBC announced a few year back that they were abandoning any consideration of NCAA membership. It would be interesting to see if a successful SFU NCAA team could encourage them to change their minds. UBC already as an on-campus arena that seats over 5000 for hockey. But agreed, I think the CHL would do everything in its power to stop the spread of NCAA hockey into Canada.
              And should we stop the influx of CHL teams in the USA?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
              X