X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: frozen four attendance

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I would be on board with that.

Columbus? Really? Pittsburgh? Nah. Philly? Ok, maybe. The cities you and I mentioned are better than the previous 3, IMO.

Edit: if it was Vegas, I might just schedule a one-way trip. Playing the odds, and all.
    Brand new arena just opened right on the Strip, and they're the favorites in the clubhouse for an expansion NHL franchise. Every airline in the country flies there relatively inexpensive, and there's plenty of lodging choices at all price levels. I doubt the NCAA would go for it. But Nashville would be a nice option, and also closer than Tampa.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Edit: if it was Vegas, I might just schedule a one-way trip. Playing the odds, and all.
      Who would run the forklift at the Coke distributor?

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post

SiteSemi-FinalFinal
        Philadelphia (2014)17,42818,184
        Pittsburgh (2013)17,31118,742
        Thank you for helping me prove my point. #neveranydoubt

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          Every airline in the country flies there relatively inexpensive, and there's plenty of lodging choices at all price levels.

Oh look you just described Tampa but with perfect weather, beaches, amusement parks, and outdoor bars and plazas.

Comment

I'd come back, again.

The city liked having us here, the weather is great, arena is nice, access is easy, and is a short distance from a lot of vacation sites other than town.

The only FF that we spend an extra week at twice now. Only weekends for the last other 14.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              Brand new arena just opened right on the Strip, and they're the favorites in the clubhouse for an expansion NHL franchise. Every airline in the country flies there relatively inexpensive, and there's plenty of lodging choices at all price levels. I doubt the NCAA would go for it. But Nashville would be a nice option, and also closer than Tampa.
              Vegas is not an option because they allow sports betting

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeymom of 2 View Post
                Vegas is not an option because they allow sports betting
                So then UNLV won't be able to follow through on their initiative to add D-1 hockey? Ever see a College Hockey Betting line at Caesar's? What was the spread on Quinnipiac/BC?
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSiouxFan View Post
                  The Championship in Tampa will have more people watching than the Championship in Pennsylvania....so your solution is no more ff IN Philly?
                  Well, this looks like an "apples to oranges" comparison. My position was in reference to holding the FF in "non-College Hockey hotbeds." It would be interesting to see what the attendance would be like when North Dakota is not there, as it appeared from TV that the place was about 85% North Dakota fans (and not just people "cheering" for them, but people who actually traveled there from North Dakota. With the Sioux there, it looks at though you could have it on the moon and it would sell out...even in Boston last year, there were twice as many NoDak fans as BU fans. Clearly they are the best traveling fan base in the sport, so any FF involving them sort of skews the statistics.
                  Last edited by chickod; 04-10-2016, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Well, this looks like an "apples to oranges" comparison. My position was in reference to holding the FF in "non-College Hockey hotbeds." It would be interesting to see what the attendance would be like when North Dakota is not there, as it appeared from TV that the place was about 85% North Dakota fans (and not just people "cheering" for them, but people who actually traveled there from North Dakota. With the Sioux there, it looks at though you could have it on the moon and it would sell out...even in Boston last year, there were twice as many NoDak fans as BU fans. Clearly they are the best traveling fan base in the sport, so any FF involving them sort of skews the statistics.
                    For what it's worth there were 10-15 locals in lightning/panthers attire in my section. Not sure if Tampa made some offer to locals, but definitely more locals than I expected
                    BS UMass Lowell 2015
                    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      So then UNLV won't be able to follow through on their initiative to add D-1 hockey? Ever see a College Hockey Betting line at Caesar's? What was the spread on Quinnipiac/BC?
                      Forget what the odds were but you can absolutely bet on the games. In fact, there were also betting lines for the regional games.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Forget what the odds were but you can absolutely bet on the games. In fact, there were also betting lines for the regional games.
                        Correct. You can also bet on who's going to win the title, throughout the year.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          I'd come back, again.

The city liked having us here, the weather is great, arena is nice, access is easy, and is a short distance from a lot of vacation sites other than town.

The only FF that we spend an extra week at twice now. Only weekends for the last other 14.
                          Tampa Wants More

Comment

Originally posted by TheSiouxFan View Post
                            Oh look you just described Tampa but with perfect weather, beaches, amusement parks, and outdoor bars and plazas.
                            Not sure what airlines you're flying, but flights from New England to Las Vegas often are less expensive, are direct, and options are more abound, than flying to Tampa. And are you really insinuating Las Vegas in April doesn't have perfect weather, amusement parks, outdoor bars, and plazas? They even have fake beaches! If we're arguing pure amenities and things for fans to do, this is a ridiculous comparison. That said, I cannot see the NCAA moving a championship there because of the sports betting - regardless of UNLV's purported attempts to start a team. It's all the NCAA's typical hypocrisy.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              I'm just repeating what we were told by the tournament committee during a question and answer period that occurred while on a tour of Amalie Arena.

On the positive side, the ban on the sale of alcohol in the venue is seriously being reviewed.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                Not sure what airlines you're flying, but flights from New England to Las Vegas often are less expensive, are direct, and options are more abound, than flying to Tampa. And are you really insinuating Las Vegas in April doesn't have perfect weather, amusement parks, outdoor bars, and plazas? They even have fake beaches! If we're arguing pure amenities and things for fans to do, this is a ridiculous comparison. That said, I cannot see the NCAA moving a championship there because of the sports betting - regardless of UNLV's purported attempts to start a team. It's all the NCAA's typical hypocrisy.
                                http://tpa.fltmaps.com/en

Fact is, there are a large amount of locations that DO fly directly to Tampa (red lines). And a quick price search on Kayak showed cheaper or virtually the same prices to Tampa from Boston and Detroit for "Spring 2016".

Las Vegas would quite likely also be a success IF the NCAA (and more importantly, Las Vegas) would entertain the idea. However, I truly feel the event wouldn't get as much attention and would tend to "get lost" in the Las Vegas spectrum of events. Here in Tampa, it was pretty much the top event in a location that allowed it to pretty much be THE event in town. To me, that's relatively important, and gives the Frozen Four the spotlight it deserves to those who travel to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X