2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

I don’t post often but, hopefully, what I have written previously has allowed me to establish enough credibility here that what I’m about to say will be not be dismissed outright, especially since I’m unable to provide the level of sourcing I’m sure many of you will ask for. I’m going to pass along what I’ve been told by people I trust but, I simply won’t be able to be very specific about who these people are. I apologize in advance as I know that creates doubt (as well as frustration) about the information’s accuracy or validity but, with Tuesday’s announcement regarding Notre Dame, it’s evident things could possibly be happening fairly quickly and I genuinely feel I can add to the conversation in a constructive way.
    A little over two years ago, I came on here and suggested a plan that I felt was the only way that the current (nWCHA) could significantly reduce the increased travel costs that the teams were obviously facing and give the conference the best chance for long term stability. That plan entailed adding two more teams and create two geographically friendly divisions (with an Alaska school in each) -- whereby the majority of each team’s league play would occur within their division, thus reducing travel costs as much as possible. In conjunction with that, I suggested moving the conference tournament to a “permanent” but smaller site that was as centrally located as possible and, with as strong of a built in hockey market as possible. I suggested Duluth as some of the previous roadblocks for going there have been reduced, if not eliminated. The league approached Duluth immediately after the realignment as it was their top choice for a smaller venue but, UMD blocked it at that time. Now, it’s my understanding there’s less resistance to that possibility and, I’ve been told that league representatives toured the building again earlier this season. Interestingly, WCHA commissioner Bill Robertson has recently gone on record as supporting a very similar, if not the exact same plan that I’ve laid out (minus the conference tourney portion). In my version, I had the teams aligned this way:
    West Division: UAF, BSU, Mankato, MTU, NMU, LSSU
    East Division: UAA, Ferris, BGSU, UAH, Niagra, RMU
    Since then, I have learned from someone connected with RMU that it’s extremely unlikely they would accept an invitation into the WCHA as they simply are enjoying the fact they’re consistently one of the top 3 teams in AHA and feel their chances at an NCAA birth are much better than if they were to move to the WCHA. If by some chance ASU does not go to the Big 10 (and I’m not convinced they will) then, based on a conversation I had with someone close to the NCHC administration back in February, I believe ASU will end up in the WCHA. If so, then the WCHA would obviously only need to grab one team from AHA. However, based on information I received recently, I believe that there’s just as good of a chance that a different outcome could result. First though, let’s look at the timing for what might happen and how that might affect any possible changes.
    Obviously, the number one thing that is driving the possibility of change is the large increases in travel costs. As davyd83 and others closely connected with some of these programs have accurately expressed, most (if not all) of these schools have seen these costs increase substantially. And, after three seasons, the extra burden is starting to take a significant toll. Next, it’s my understanding that all of the agreements that each western league has with the various conference tournament venues expire at the end of next season. If so, then any negotiations to renew these agreements or, develop any new agreements with any possible new sites would need to begin soon – I’d say by the end of the summer at the latest but, probably even earlier. Finally, what ASU decides to do will impact future decisions as well. If they end up in the WCHA, that obviously gives the league 11 teams and would make it that much easier for Robertson to get to 12 and do the two division setup and thus cut off any momentum there might be for a “new” CCHA.
    However, IF, repeat IF there is any “plan” or impetus to recreate the CCHA, considering the time it would take to set up a “new” league – hire a commissioner, supervisor of officials, office staff, decide on a city/site for the office, decide and approve a conference tournament site, develop a schedule, create a board of governors -- it would not be surprising if this new league were to be announced by mid to late summer of this year or, possibly even earlier. Let me emphasize that I have not heard anything to indicate that something like this will happen this summer. Still, IF it was going to happen, isn’t the timing as good as it could possibly be at the end of this season? With that, let’s get back to the information I received recently that I referenced in the previous paragraph.
    Within the last 60 days, I had a very interesting conversation with a current WCHA head coach. It lasted about an hour with the majority of it focused on the possible future conference alignments. It was his feeling that the previous realignment was driven more by a very select group of coaches and administrators, especially the decision to create the NCHC. However, it was his contention that this time, the coaches as a whole would take a greater lead and ensure that the next round of moves would be done with the long-term health of the game at the forefront. When I asked what he thought was going to happen, he said that, although nothing concrete had been decided or agreed on, there has been much informal discussion among the coaches and ADs the last year or two. First, he predicted (accurately as it turns out) that Notre Dame would leave Hockey East in the near future. He then expressed his opinion that he felt there was a good chance of a reborn CCHA or Great Lakes League. I asked him if there were any specific WCHA coaches or schools actively pushing for this as I have heard that there are. He said that two coaches/schools in particular had much stronger opinions than the others, one from the UP and one south of the UP. He also stated he felt that the UP teams would very likely stay together from here on forward, regardless of what happens. As for the Alaska schools, he simply said that there’s a real feeling among the coaches that they need to be taken care of no matter what happens as we can’t afford to lose anyone if at all possible. Finally, he wasn’t sure where ASU would go but, he didn’t think there was a high level of excitement by many of the coaches or ADs in either the WCHA or NCHA to add them simply because of the travel. To be clear, he wasn’t saying either conference wouldn’t take them as they need a home, just that people weren’t going to be celebrating behind the scenes.
    I then asked about the rumors I’d been hearing that Miami and WMU were really regretting the decision to join the NCHC due to the significant increases in travel costs each had experienced. He said he had heard the same thing and that, if the CCHA were to be “reborn”, based on conversations he has had with “certain coaches”, he felt there was a “very good chance” Miami would seriously consider moving to that conference. And, he also said that if Miami moved, Western very likely would as well. The point being that, despite some poster’s opinions on here that the egos of certain coaches would prevent them/their teams from having a change of heart, if the words of this coach are to be believed, that doesn’t seem to be the case at all. In fact, I would argue that my biggest take away from this conversation is this coach’s confidence in the possibility that Miami and Western would be as open as he says they would be to the possibility of leaving the NCHC.
    Again, I want to emphasize that this coach was not making a definitive prediction that anything would happen. However, he was very emphatic that, in his opinion, there was a very good chance something probably would (and needed to) happen to address the massive financial issues that most of the WCHA teams are facing and, it would happen soon. Whether or not that’s the plan Bill Robertson has put forth or, a “new” CCHA.
    Based on this conversation, I believe that, although you could restart the CCHA with say, MTU, NMU, LSSU, Ferris, BGSU, and UAH, there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to grab another AHA team or two to solidify that league. And, if the recent history of the CHA and BiG10 are any indication, I would think most coaches and ADs would be very hesitant to go with a 6 team league. Therefore, it’s my opinion that the most likely way the CCHA comes back is if Miami and Western are convinced/willing to leave the NCHC. That would allow for the creation of a much lower cost bus league of MTU, NMU, LSSU, Ferris, BGSU, UAH, Miami, and Western. Obviously, IF this were to happen, the next question is, does the NCHC approach Mankato and BSU to fill the two vacant spots. That would seem to make the most sense – regardless of what certain decision-makers feelings were three years ago. If so, that leaves the two Alaska schools and maybe ASU depending on where they end up. Obviously, if this comes to fruition, then it’s very likely we will see the extinction of the most storied college hockey conference in history. Or, maybe it’s just as simple as Miami and Western leave the NCHC and go to the WCHA and the NCHC stays at 6 teams or, possibly gets ASU for a 7th with Mankato and BSU staying in the WCHA. Regardless of which direction this goes, I’m confident that whatever happens will happen sooner rather than later and most likely before the end of this summer.

Comment

Almost forgot, we also talked about the officiating. And, although he felt there were ways it could be improved – to include getting rid of some officials and bringing in a few newer officials – the reality is that the WCHA just isn’t committing the same type of resources to it that the other conferences are (other than maybe the AHA). For instance, the NCHC has a paid supervisor at almost 80% of its games; someone besides Don Adam with previous upper level officiating experience. Whereas, the WCHA supervised less than 10% of their games this year – almost all of them by Greg Shepherd (they only have one other person besides Shepherd with previous officiating experience that only very rarely watches games). The only reason for this is there simply isn’t enough money to pay for the extra supervision. In fact, considering Greg Shepherd is also the Supervisor of Officials for the WCHA Women as well, he obviously has to spend time watching those officials too. The bottom line – although this coach felt the product could certainly be better, he feels that overall, the majority of the league’s officials are very capable and, that the officiating isn’t nearly as bad as some fans or media think it is, with the biggest difference maker being the league’s ability to properly finance a better product through better supervision and training. As for the growing frustration from fans and media about the lack of scoring and, the perception that it's mainly due to an increase in obstruction, this coach feels it has more to do with simply a temporary drop in high end offensive talent throughout the league. He certainly feels they need to be diligent about calling it when it's there but, he wants to make sure a player is legitimately impeded or, there's a distinct advantage gained or lost before a penalty is called. Otherwise stated, he's not a fan of the NHL regular season standard on restraining fouls...

Comment

Much appreciated for the insight. It seems that all parties (fans, coaches, University controllers) all have similar thinking of what's going to happen. And, like most things in life, there isn't a clear cut answer, but the solution will land somewhere in the middle of everyone's thinking.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
          Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Ohio University is building a new arena. Rumor has is that varsity hockey will be returning...
          would love to see that, but don't hold your breath.

OU's 2016 Comprehensive Master Plan recommends replacing and relocating Bird Arena, but..."That project to relocate the pool/ice arena facilities is a long-term goal of OU, meaning it won’t happen anytime soon."

http://www.athensnews.com/news/campu...b2605c999.html
          Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Much appreciated for the insight. It seems that all parties (fans, coaches, University controllers) all have similar thinking of what's going to happen. And, like most things in life, there isn't a clear cut answer, but the solution will land somewhere in the middle of everyone's thinking.
            I agree, very well said. Its also to hear that there is at least a broad conversation happening this time with coaches rather than a couple AD's and coaches colluding behind closed doors this time around.

I'd love to see a conference tournament in Duluth, but I'd also love to see BSU / MSU-M swapped with WMU and Miami. Hopefully we will know the answer sooner rather than later... until it all happens again.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Well yeah. We'd love to play more teams that score on themselves as well.
              It's fun to score from 140' out, too!

I would welcome being in a league with RMU again. It would up the fun quotient with Schooley around. I think that more teams helps break up the travel a bit, especially with RMU and, oh, Mercyhurst being okay bus trips. I don't feel like you're radically expanding the league for anyone but the Minnesota schools. Play a real shell game and trade the Minnesota schools for MU/WMU and add RMU and one of ASU or MC and, well, that's a nice 12-team league that could have some reasonable divisions and minimal air travel outside of going to Alaska.

My magic wand is broken, though.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

GFM... Trade the Minnesota schools???? I hope your biscuits burn. Grrrr. Just when I had started truly liking Huntsville. Ugh

Comment

Originally posted by net presence View Post
                  ... Therefore, it’s my opinion that the most likely way the CCHA comes back is if Miami and Western are convinced/willing to leave the NCHC. That would allow for the creation of a much lower cost bus league of MTU, NMU, LSSU, Ferris, BGSU, UAH, Miami, and Western.
                  That would allow for the creation of a much lower cost bus league of MTU, NMU, LSSU, Ferris, BGSU, UAH, Miami, and Western.
                  Or, maybe it’s just as simple as Miami and Western leave the NCHC and go to the WCHA and the NCHC stays at 6 teams or, possibly gets ASU for a 7th with Mankato and BSU staying in the WCHA. Regardless of which direction this goes, I’m confident that whatever happens will happen sooner rather than later and most likely before the end of this summer.
                  How important is it, I wonder, for the Alaska teams to be in the same conference?

Anyway, a really interesting post to read. Over on the Miami board there is some gushing about the possibility of joining the Big N, but that only satisfies geography and there's more to it than that.

Comment

Interesting comments NP. I have no doubt that it's accurate. I wonder why the league would sign for a tournament in Duluth if there are no Minnesota teams. I don't doubt that the AH teams are not really interested in joining. I'm not thrilled with ASU and if they come in I would be surprised.
                    I'm just crossing my fingers that whatever our leaders do it helps the league financially and allows us to go forward indefinitely. I'd like to see better officials but I also think it's not really any worse than other leagues.
                    I'd love to see Miami and WMU added and also keep the two minnesota schools but I don't see that as likely. If you are Bemidji I think you have to think long and hard about going back to the NCHC teams. You might have no choice though.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: 2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

I don't know where you guys are hearing that Western and Miami are happy in the NCHC, I have heard the exact opposite
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        I don't know where you guys are hearing that Western and Miami are happy in the NCHC, I have heard the exact opposite
                        We also heard that St Cloud was happy and committed to being a part of the WCHA.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I had one thought after I read "I don't know where you guys are hearing that Western and Miami are happy in the NCHC, I have heard the exact opposite."
                          Then I clicked to the next page of replies and there it was... "We also heard that St Cloud was happy and committed to being a part of the WCHA."
                          I didn't even have to post it.
                          Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

NP thanks for your two post, they were very interesting.
                            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Just reviewed the brackets, looks like St. Cloud over Providence in the title game.

At least a set of Huskies won the title, good luck to my sentimental picks, Northeastern and Providence.

Comment

I am shocked at how little respect Ferris State is getting in any of the Tournament analysis. I am not predicting this will happen but would not be one bit surprised if Ferris beats St. Cloud tomorrow. I'm betting on a very tight game.

Looking past any opponent can be deadly this time of year.

Comment

Working...
                                X