Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Albany Regional Weekend

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Albany Regional Weekend

    I am starting a thread to all the people going to albany. It would be fun to meet up with other college hockey fans that are going. I would love to meet up and chat. I know albany a little bit. I live 2 hours away and have been up there a few times. I have been to the arena a few times. Its a nice arena. Its located in downtown albany. They have a parking garage at the arena which is gonna cost you. There are lots around the arena and theres parking on the street. Ill be wearing my north dakota gear. come say hello

  • #2
    Originally posted by fightingsiouxfan16 View Post
    I am starting a thread to all the people going to albany. It would be fun to meet up with other college hockey fans that are going. I would love to meet up and chat. I know albany a little bit. I live 2 hours away and have been up there a few times. I have been to the arena a few times. Its a nice arena. Its located in downtown albany. They have a parking garage at the arena which is gonna cost you. There are lots around the arena and theres parking on the street. Ill be wearing my north dakota gear. come say hello
    If you don't mind a bit of a walk, there is a free (after 5) garage across the highway from the arena. You can get to it by taking the arterial for the Plaza and going underneath the concourse. The first exit will lead you right into the garage. In fact, the exit sign says parking garage Park and walk to the arena and save some money
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

    WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Albany Regional Weekend

      Originally posted by jericho View Post
      If you don't mind a bit of a walk, there is a free (after 5) garage across the highway from the arena. You can get to it by taking the arterial for the Plaza and going underneath the concourse. The first exit will lead you right into the garage. In fact, the exit sign says parking garage Park and walk to the arena and save some money
      I am taking the free shuttle from my hotel or walking. Im only a half a mile from the rink at my hotel

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fightingsiouxfan16 View Post
        I am taking the free shuttle from my hotel or walking. Im only a half a mile from the rink at my hotel
        Depending on where your hotel is and the time of night, I wouldn't walk. Although judging from the distance you gave, you're probably at the Marriott on state street in which case you'd be fine
        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

        WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Albany Regional Weekend

          Originally posted by jericho View Post
          Depending on where your hotel is and the time of night, I wouldn't walk. Although judging from the distance you gave, you're probably at the Marriott on state street in which case you'd be fine
          Im at the holiday inn express right off the highway

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Albany Regional Weekend

            Are any of the couple of brewpubs in town worth it? I know brew pubs can often be hit or miss.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

            Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey


            NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Albany Regional Weekend

              Originally posted by Patman View Post
              Are any of the couple of brewpubs in town worth it? I know brew pubs can often be hit or miss.
              I dont remember. I usually just stop into any bar right there on the main street by the arena.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Albany Regional Weekend

                Lombardo's historic Italian restaurant from the 1920's one block from arena

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Albany Regional Weekend

                  Originally posted by fightingsiouxfan16 View Post
                  Im at the holiday inn express right off the highway
                  Take the shuttle, don't walk. You're near the bus station so at night you don't want to wander.

                  Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  Are any of the couple of brewpubs in town worth it? I know brew pubs can often be hit or miss.
                  Go to the Albany Pump Station. I am not a drinker, but the food is delicious. Also, if you like smaller places, you can go to the Olde English Pub, also right on Broadway. Since you'll have a car, you can try Wolf's Biergarten, which is more of a soccer place, or the newly opened Druthers, which the food is also very good there. Sorry I can't give you any tips about the beer though. They usually don't get the touristy people, so it shouldn't be THAT crowded. One thing about Druthers though, parking is VERY limited, so look for spots on the street. To get to all of these places, just go to Broadway (Route 32) from Downtown, and hang a left to head north. You'll run right into all of them, except for the Pump Station, but to get there from Broadway, just hang a right at the Progressive sign, you'll run into the parking lot. There's also the Albany Distillery back there, next to the Pump Station. The Biergarten is about a mile down on the right, and Druthers is about 2.5 miles, also on the right.

                  Originally posted by fightingsiouxfan16 View Post
                  I dont remember. I usually just stop into any bar right there on the main street by the arena.
                  Be careful with those though. Alot of the times you get the out of towners, but there are better places out there. Since you guys have a car and you need to kill a day, drive to Troy and go to Dinosaur BBQ or Brown's Brew Pub and visit the RPI campus. Or drive up to Saratoga, there's plenty of stuff up there, and a racino to "spend" your money.
                  Last edited by jericho; 03-21-2016, 05:12 PM.
                  Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

                  WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Albany Regional Weekend

                    Originally posted by jericho View Post

                    Go to the Albany Pump Station. I am not a drinker, but the food is delicious.
                    When RIT played in the regional in 2010 I was trying to remember to the cool brew pub we went to afterwards to celebrate their win over Denver, this was it. Thanks for the reminder I won't be trying to drink their entire menu this time though...
                    RIT Tigers
                    Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                    Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                    Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Albany Regional Weekend

                      I dont plan on wandering. Ill be at rink bar and hotel

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        Take the shuttle, don't walk. You're near the bus station so at night you don't want to wander.



                        Go to the Albany Pump Station. I am not a drinker, but the food is delicious. Also, if you like smaller places, you can go to the Olde English Pub, also right on Broadway. Since you'll have a car, you can try Wolf's Biergarten, which is more of a soccer place, or the newly opened Druthers, which the food is also very good there. Sorry I can't give you any tips about the beer though. They usually don't get the touristy people, so it shouldn't be THAT crowded. One thing about Druthers though, parking is VERY limited, so look for spots on the street. To get to all of these places, just go to Broadway (Route 32) from Downtown, and hang a left to head north. You'll run right into all of them, except for the Pump Station, but to get there from Broadway, just hang a right at the Progressive sign, you'll run into the parking lot. There's also the Albany Distillery back there, next to the Pump Station. The Biergarten is about a mile down on the right, and Druthers is about 2.5 miles, also on the right.



                        Be careful with those though. Alot of the times you get the out of towners, but there are better places out there. Since you guys have a car and you need to kill a day, drive to Troy and go to Dinosaur BBQ or Brown's Brew Pub and visit the RPI campus. Or drive up to Saratoga, there's plenty of stuff up there, and a racino to "spend" your money.
                        I second the Albany Pump Station. Very good food and beer in cool brewpub atmosphere. It's not really close to the arena, but it does have its own parking lot, which is rare downtown. Another option very close to the arena is The City Beer Hall. I can't vouch for the food (because I haven't eaten there) and it's not a brewpub, but they have a very good selection of draft and bottled beer. It's about a block northeast of the arena, on a side street.
                        Last edited by kerwing7; 03-21-2016, 08:11 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kerwing7 View Post
                          I second the Albany Pump Station. Very good food and beer in cool brewpub atmosphere. It's not really close to the arena, but it does have its own parking lot, which is rare downtown. Another option very close to the arena is The City Beer Hall. I can't vouch for the food and it's not a brewpub, but they have a very good selection of draft and bottled beer. It's about a block northeast of the area, on a side street.
                          According to my gps its a 5 min drive from arena to the bar

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Albany Regional Weekend

                            Originally posted by fightingsiouxfan16 View Post
                            According to my gps its a 5 min drive from arena to the bar
                            by the time you park again it’s just as fast to walk. If it’s a nice afternoon I’ld walk. Their steak is worth it but on a Sat. you might plan ahead with a reservation.
                            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Albany Regional Weekend

                              Originally posted by DLG View Post
                              Lombardo's historic Italian restaurant from the 1920's one block from arena
                              food is ok. Service can be slow. Very small though. 2min. walk to TUC.
                              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X