How to improve the Pairwise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to improve the Pairwise

My suggestions: Scrap QWB completely (it's already part of RPI). Count nuetral games half home, and half road (or just count full for both if that's easier).

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
      My suggestions: Scrap QWB completely (it's already part of RPI). Count nuetral games half home, and half road (or just count full for both if that's easier).
      QWB really isn't in the RPI calc with it being 25/21/51. Here are the most valuable teams to beat for this season with adjusted RPI rank in paranthesis (before adding QWB):
      (1) Quinnipiac
      (8) Harvard
      (10) Boston University
      (4) Providence
      (6) Denver
      (14) Minnesota-Duluth
      (7) Michigan
      (2) St. Cloud State
      (5) Boston College
      (12) Notre Dame
      (13) Northeastern
      (17) Minnesota
      (3) North Dakota
      (16) Cornell
      (18) Robert Morris
      (23) Minnesota State
      (11) Yale
      (9) Mass.-Lowell
      (15) Michigan Tech
      (22) Dartmouth

Missing 19, 20, 21

I really do like the idea of giving QWB to road teams getting a positive results against the top 20 home RPI teams...
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        get conferences to reduce number of conference games to have more interconference matchups to allow for better cross conference data...
        Other than the WCHA and AHA, the rest play 24 or fewer conference games. If the WCHA were to cut 4 games off their conference slate, it would push more into having to accept more 2-for-1 offers from the Michigan's and 1-for-nones from the North Dakotas & Penn States of the college hockey world. It's already tough enough for the WCHA to fill 6-8 non conference games with equal home and road dates.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          Other than the WCHA and AHA, the rest play 24 or fewer conference games. If the WCHA were to cut 4 games off their conference slate, it would push more into having to accept more 2-for-1 offers from the Michigan's and 1-for-nones from the North Dakotas & Penn States of the college hockey world. It's already tough enough for the WCHA to fill 6-8 non conference games with equal home and road dates.
          Or they could start making deals with eastern schools. UVM, UNH, and Maine have been scheduling each other for OOC, I'm sure they would prefer to play someone from the WCHA.
          BS UMass Lowell 2015
          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
            Or they could start making deals with eastern schools. UVM, UNH, and Maine have been scheduling each other for OOC, I'm sure they would prefer to play someone from the WCHA.
            Which adds the cost of flying to games to an already travel strapped league. But even with a 28 game schedule now, WCHA teams are having more conversations about games with their Eastern brethren.
            Last edited by davyd83; 03-24-2016, 12:02 PM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Thats fine if true, and maybe this isn't as big a problem anymore directly because WCHA is at 8-10 possible NC games now because of Alaska exemptions.
              NCHC 24/10
              B1G 20/14 (currently, have to see if that continues with ND moving)
              HEA 22/12
              WCHA 28/6-10
              ECAC 22/12 (non-ivy)
              ECAC 22/7 (ivy)
              AHA 28/6

I guess maybe the direct number of games isn't the problem...its the East/West distribution...
              League - Games vs other half of country/Total NC games (%)
              B1G - 47/89 (0.528)
              NCHC - 39/84 (0.464)
              AHA - 26/66 (0.394)
              HEA - 50/131 (0.382)
              ECAC - 26/108 (0.241)
              WCHA - 16/71 (0.225)

ECAC and WCHA need to play more...
              Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 03-24-2016, 01:38 PM.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Thats fine if true, and maybe this isn't as big a problem anymore directly because WCHA is at 8-10 possible NC games now because of Alaska exemptions.
                NCHC 24/10
                B1G 20/14 (currently, have to see if that continues with ND moving)
                HEA 24/10
                WCHA 28/6-10
                ECAC 22/12 (non-ivy)
                ECAC 22/7 (ivy)
                AHA 28/6

I guess maybe the direct number of games isn't the problem...its the East/West distribution...
                League - Games vs other half of country/Total NC games (%)
                B1G - 47/89 (0.528)
                NCHC - 39/84 (0.464)
                AHA - 26/66 (0.394)
                HEA - 50/131 (0.382)
                ECAC - 26/108 (0.241)
                WCHA - 16/71 (0.225)

ECAC and WCHA need to play more...
                The would be nice. I'd love to get out east and see some new opponents, venues, towns & fans, but how do you do it without incurring the huge expense of air travel?
                Last edited by davyd83; 03-24-2016, 12:22 PM.

Comment

The would be nice. I'd love to get out east and see some new opponents, venues, towns & fans, but how do you do it without incurring the huge expense of air travel?
                  by using a bus?

Comment

have no other hobbies and interests
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

HEA 24/10
                      If this is based on the last couple of seasons, HEA has been 22/12. (12 teams = play 11 teams home and away)

I mean, you don't. Unless you can somehow invent teleportation.
                      Last edited by tape; 03-24-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
                        If this is based on the last couple of seasons, HEA has been 22/12. (12 teams = play 11 teams home and away)

I mean, you don't. Unless you can somehow invent teleportation.
                        thanks

Comment

QWB really isn't in the RPI calc with it being 25/21/51. Here are the most valuable teams to beat for this season with adjusted RPI rank in paranthesis (before adding QWB):
                          (1) Quinnipiac
                          (8) Harvard
                          (10) Boston University
                          (4) Providence
                          (6) Denver
                          (14) Minnesota-Duluth
                          (7) Michigan
                          (2) St. Cloud State
                          (5) Boston College
                          (12) Notre Dame
                          (13) Northeastern
                          (17) Minnesota
                          (3) North Dakota
                          (16) Cornell
                          (18) Robert Morris
                          (23) Minnesota State
                          (11) Yale
                          (9) Mass.-Lowell
                          (15) Michigan Tech
                          (22) Dartmouth

Missing 19, 20, 21

I really do like the idea of giving QWB to road teams getting a positive results against the top 20 home RPI teams...
                          What I meant by it "already being in RPI" is that your RPI is already getting the benefit of having played a good team vs a poor one.

I like/understand what the QWB is trying to achieve; but, I really, really dislike the QWB in practice. And if you split the comparisons into a separate road RPI, there should not be the need for it.

Comment

by using a bus?
                            It's a great ride from Bemidji to Potsdam

Comment

Through Canada?

Comment

thanks for taking the extreme and throwing out the idea that the ECAC and WCHA should play more...love your positivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X