Big 14 hockey is a joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
    Pretty embarrassing that all this conference could manage is one entry into the NCAA's.

Barry Alvarez was the driving force behind the Big10 conference and look what it has produced!! Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Mich State all have strong legacy's dating back to the 1960's and many championship banners hanging from the rafters. They sold the fans on more TV exposure (Big Lie #1), great conference rivalries (Big Lie #2), sold it as the premier hockey conference in college hockey (Big Lie #3) and lastly the projections of sold out stadiums and more revenue for the athletic departments (Barry's only concern when it comes to Badger hockey) (Big Lie #4).

I would vote a resounding yes to S#$@ Canning the Big Slug conference and bringing back the old WCHA and CCHA. The experiment has failed, it is time to kill the league for the good of college hockey!!
    Having less than three Power Five teams in the NCAAs is bad for college hockey. I am concerned the big schools don't care even more than the already do or,this sports going to have some problems down the road.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Re: Big 14 hockey is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        Having less than three Power Five teams in the NCAAs is bad for college hockey.
        I'll bite... Why?
        BS UMass Lowell 2015
        PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
          I'll bite... Why?
          Publicity/ratings.

As right and just as it is for Quinnipiac to be the #1 overall seed, the vast majority of sports fans (like seriously... probably 99% of them) would see Quinnipiac vs. RIT and wonder if they accidentally tuned into a D-III event. Especially once they see the attendance.

Notre Dame v Michigan, BC v Wisconsin, UConn v Ohio State... regardless of the actual merits of those schools as D-I hockey programs (results vary), those are matchups that your average idiot fan can relate to, as they know who those schools are.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Pretty embarrassing that all this conference could manage is one entry into the NCAA's.

Barry Alvarez was the driving force behind the Big10 conference and look what it has produced!! Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Mich State all have strong legacy's dating back to the 1960's and many championship banners hanging from the rafters. They sold the fans on more TV exposure (Big Lie #1), great conference rivalries (Big Lie #2), sold it as the premier hockey conference in college hockey (Big Lie #3) and lastly the projections of sold out stadiums and more revenue for the athletic departments (Barry's only concern when it comes to Badger hockey) (Big Lie #4).

I would vote a resounding yes to S#$@ Canning the Big Slug conference and bringing back the old WCHA and CCHA. The experiment has failed, it is time to kill the league for the good of college hockey!!
            Sure but where else can you rent out an entire arena for your personal use for only $60 a night.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better. When Wisconsin hosts the Frozen Four in Tampa and not at the Bradley Center something is very wrong. Fire Alvarez he is clueless as clueless
              gets.

UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

I would vote a resounding yes to S#$@ Canning the Big Slug conference and bringing back the old WCHA and CCHA.
                Man, if they're giving you a vote, there's something wrong with the system.

The experiment has failed, it is time to kill the league for the good of college hockey!!
                Yes, because gridlock and (at best) remaining stagnant is the best situation for college hockey.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

New Big Ten fans don't understand its Minnesota not playing up to their abilities and not the other team actually playing better than Minnesota. This attitude has been going on for almost 100 years and will likely not change in the years to come even when the Gophers play Michigan, UND or BC.
                  Silly Minnesotans. Michigan fans fully understand the concept, just not applied to a different team. Michigan doesn't get beaten, we beat ourselves. This has been true forever, across all sports. So, nearly 150 years.

Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
                  Sure but where else can you rent out an entire arena for your personal use for only $60 a night.
                  St. Louis regional, 2011. Before the B1G. With both BC and Michigan there, as well as CC and UNO.
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G
                  7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                  6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                  5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                  5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                  2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                  2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    I want Megan Fox but it's not going to happen.
                    Ew
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                      Silly Minnesotans. Michigan fans fully understand the concept, just not applied to a different team. Michigan doesn't get beaten, we beat ourselves. This has been true forever, across all sports. So, nearly 150 years.

St. Louis regional, 2011. Before the B1G. With both BC and Michigan there, as well as CC and UNO.
                      Silly? Moreover, the funny part is Michigan and North Dakota have a winning record against everybody else but the Gophers hold the winning edge against them. Hell except for Lake State and Maine the Gophers have a winning record against every single college hockey team in the country and if they played them more often the Gophers would have a winning record against them also. Over the years while the Gophers continued its winning ways the Wolverines dropped down a notch or two until Red showed up to save the day. Don't get me wrong Michigan is a solid program but surprisingly enough it's not on the level of the Gophers.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Silly? Moreover, the funny part is Michigan and North Dakota have a winning record against everybody else but the Gophers hold the winning edge against them. Hell except for Lake State and Maine the Gophers have a winning record against every single college hockey team in the country and if they played them more often the Gophers would have a winning record against them also. Over the years while the Gophers continued its winning ways the Wolverines dropped down a notch or two until Red showed up to save the day. Don't get me wrong Michigan is a solid program but surprisingly enough it's not on the level of the Gophers.
                        Eisenhower and Michigan hockey rose and fell together.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Publicity/ratings.

As right and just as it is for Quinnipiac to be the #1 overall seed, the vast majority of sports fans (like seriously... probably 99% of them) would see Quinnipiac vs. RIT and wonder if they accidentally tuned into a D-III event. Especially once they see the attendance.

Notre Dame v Michigan, BC v Wisconsin, UConn v Ohio State... regardless of the actual merits of those schools as D-I hockey programs (results vary), those are matchups that your average idiot fan can relate to, as they know who those schools are.
                          ^ well said.

Comment

Working...
                          X