X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moose97
    replied
    Re: "Forgotten Miracle"

We had an interview with Tommy Haines on The Hockey Show back on December 10th:

http://thehockeyshow.blogspot.com/20...-click_10.html

Also at the above link, you can find the interview we did with him in 2008 when Pond Hockey came out. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Another cool documentary would be of Rendezvous 85(?). Remember when the NHL skipped the All-star game and had two games of Team NHL vs Team Russia? I believe that this was before the Soviet Union broke up and Russia was stacked and the teams split the series. Some great hockey and just a few short years later, all of those Russians were in the NHL.
    Rendez-vous '87 was played in Quebec City. Some of the very best hockey ever played- and would make an interesting documentary. Only three Americans played in the series for the NHL - Ramsay, Chelios and Langway. Mark Howe was selected but was hurt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendez-vous_'87

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    If there was a third installment it, here are the likely candidates:

1) 1996 World Cup: US NHL pros beat Gretzky and Co. in Canada two out of three to win the first USA World Cup best on best. Tony Amonte's goal sends Canada into true National mourning.
    I think that if they're gonna do something, this would be my choice. I remember that my wife and I were staying in a little motel in Door County and I was up watching this by myself. As the game wore on and it didn't look so good, I was really bummed and the announcers were talking about the celebratory mood in the arena and the whole country.

When we made our comeback, I was jumping up and down and trying not to scream out loud so as not to wake up the entire motel. My favorite part was when the announcers started talking about the stunned crowd and how the entire country would be in a state of disbelief.

One of my all time favorite hockey moments.

Another cool documentary would be of Rendezvous 85(?). Remember when the NHL skipped the All-star game and had two games of Team NHL vs Team Russia? I believe that this was before the Soviet Union broke up and Russia was stacked and the teams split the series. Some great hockey and just a few short years later, all of those Russians were in the NHL.

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

If there was a third installment it, here are the likely candidates:

1) 1996 World Cup: US NHL pros beat Gretzky and Co. in Canada two out of three to win the first USA World Cup best on best. Tony Amonte's goal sends Canada into true National mourning.

2) 1972 USA Silver Medal at Sapporo: No one gave us a chance after finishing last in the 71 worlds. Goalie Lefty Curran said jump on my back.

3) 1956 USA Olympic Silver Medal at Cortina, Italy. John Mayasich and Bill Cleary lead us to Silver under Johnny Mariucci's coaching

4) 1933 Gold Medal at Prague World Championships: First and only behind goaltending of Gerry Cosby (yes - the one with the sporting goods store near Madison Square Garden)

5) 1948 Olympics: Team USA sent two Olympic Teams -- both an AAU representative and and AHAUS representative to St. Moritz, Switzerland in a pizzing contest between hockey governing bodies. It was ugly. USOC wanted AAU, while the IIHF and AHAUS wanted AHAUS team.

6) USA Women win Gold in Nagano Olympics in a shocker - 1998 - Cammi and Co shock the Canucks.

7) 2002 Olympics - USA wins silver against Canada - Richter!

8) 2004 US World Junior team wins gold in Helskini for the first time.

9) 2010 USA World Junior Gold in Saskatoon - first US gold won in Canada.

10) 1952 Olympic Silver Medal at Oslo behind Ken Yackel's strong play
    (T) 1991 Canada Cup - USA Silver Medal against loaded Canada in best on best.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyenthusiast
    replied

I've heard that in the next few years the third part of the trilogy is coming out. Something about Miracle III. Supposedly it's gonna be about this year's WJC team. Has anyone else heard anything about that? Or was someone just pulling my leg.

Leave a comment:

• buoldtimer
    replied

This team beat the Czechs 5 - 1. Mighty impressive under the circumstances. There were 3 BC guys on the team (Mellor, Ahearn, Sheehy). Since the Games were held in Japan, most of the events were just a rumor.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied

I was in the first grade in Boston and my teacher had a cousin who played on that team. I couldn't tell you who it was, thoug I assume one of the Boston guys. I remember her telling us that her cousin and the Americans had defeated the Russians and won the gold medal and the whole class clapping. I've been fascinated by that team ever since.

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Thanks for the picture link. Imagine sitting in that place with 10k people watching a gold medal game in that setting with one open wall. How cool would that have been?
    Here is a shot of that Gold Medal game vs Czechoslovakia:

*****http://onfrozenblog.com/files/2009/12/HockyUSAvsCSR2.jpg******
    Last edited by Puck Swami; 01-14-2010, 03:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    The Blyth Olympic Arena at Squaw Valley was enclosed on three sides and had a roof with one open side. Seating capacity was 8,500 and they packed 10,000 in there with standing room for the US medal round games. It collapsed in the 1980s, and is now a parking lot for the ski area.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_m0AY-010Fg0/Ss...rial-Arena.jpg

It was indeeed the last partially outdoor arena for the Olympics.
    Thanks for the picture link. Imagine sitting in that place with 10k people watching a gold medal game in that setting with one open wall. How cool would that have been?

Too bad it wasn't preserved. Evidently they added insulation to the roof making it too heavy and leading to it collapsing.

Insulation for and outdoor rink's roof? Sounds like a good idea!

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

The Blyth Olympic Arena at Squaw Valley was enclosed on three sides and had a roof with one open side. Seating capacity was 8,500 and they packed 10,000 in there with standing room for the US medal round games. It collapsed in the 1980s, and is now a parking lot for the ski area.

*****http://lh6.ggpht.com/_m0AY-010Fg0/SsksnB3YEKI/AAAAAAAABSY/HKPsMSrjyYI/Blyth-Memorial-Arena.jpg******

It was indeeed the last partially outdoor arena for the Olympics.

The last roofless Olympic Arena was in Cortina D'Ampezzo, Italy where the US won silver in 1956. It still stands, but has since been enlosed with a full roof and a glass wall on the once-open side.

*****http://www.iz3bsu.com/stadio%20olimpico.jpg******
    Last edited by Puck Swami; 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• theprofromdover
    replied

I believe that was the last Olympic with an outdoor rink. There was a roof and, if you saw the Russian game, you'll remember the shadows of the supporting columns moving across the ice.

I worked with Billy and Bobby Cleary in the early 80s when they were inducted to the US Hockey Hall of Fame. With another friend, I got the original film from the game from the network and had it transferred to, IIRC, VHS. At the party they were stuck in front of the tv watching the game that they played in but never had a chance to see.

I've alwayus considered this to be a bigger upset than 1980. The reason Bobby came in late was because he couldn't afford to miss work.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

I'm just glad to see walleye posting again. I think I was one who outed his secret identity and may have caused him to stop posting. I apologize for that.

Glad to see his insights on the board again.

Leave a comment:

• stizostedion vitreum
    replied

Yes, Lefty was the tender. Tim Sheehyfrom Int'l Falls and Boston College was there. Huffer Christianson UMD and I Falls, Donny Ross from Roseau, Dick McGlynn, Henry Boucha Stu Irving, Wally Olds, just a few I remember playing with or against.Think Carl Wetzel i think was the 2nd goalie. Murray Williamson was the coach. Great guys,all of them. Had lots of fun with them over the years

Leave a comment:

• Waite21
    replied

I was 11 years old in 1960 and didn't know a lot about hockey.

I can't recall actually watching any games, though I know that I was ultimately aware that the United States had won the gold medal.

I really did not fully appreciate the significance of the achievement when it happened. At that age, I think I sort of expected that the United States could beat anybody at anything. My father tried to explain to me what a tremendous upset it had been, but I couldn't quite grasp the concept of the USA as underdog.

Years later, when I had a better idea of how US amateur hockey players normally stacked up against some other countries' national teams, I wished that I could have gone back in time and watched those 1960 games live, without knowing the outcome. I'm sure I would have had a much better appreciation for what was taking place.

Leave a comment:

• Blackheart
    replied

Originally posted by stizostedion vitreum View Post
    I was 13 when the USA won the Gold in Squaw Valley. I do remember watching the games. John Mayasich was awesome throughout, but so were many others (those you mention). The Christian Brothers (Billy&Roger) played significant roles. McCartan was spectacular. That event spurred the first boom in the growth of the game at all levels. It was unfortunate that the NHL had only 6 teams then. Many members of the 60 team could have made the next step. Mayasich chose the Communications carreer instead of hockey and did extremly well. Tommy Williams made it with Boston. Christians went back to Warroad and established their hockey stick business. Cleary went back to Harvard and his numbers there speak for itself. Nearly every player went on to help grow hockey in the US and then 1980 happened. Just look where we are today, and let's not forget the 1972 Team in Sapporro. Talk about a FORGOTTEN team.
    Lefty Curran in goal for USA? Silver medal if I recall...would love to hear more about that team...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X