"Forgotten Miracle"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Forgotten Miracle"

I was in the first grade in Boston and my teacher had a cousin who played on that team. I couldn't tell you who it was, thoug I assume one of the Boston guys. I remember her telling us that her cousin and the Americans had defeated the Russians and won the gold medal and the whole class clapping. I've been fascinated by that team ever since.

Comment

This team beat the Czechs 5 - 1. Mighty impressive under the circumstances. There were 3 BC guys on the team (Mellor, Ahearn, Sheehy). Since the Games were held in Japan, most of the events were just a rumor.
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

I've heard that in the next few years the third part of the trilogy is coming out. Something about Miracle III. Supposedly it's gonna be about this year's WJC team. Has anyone else heard anything about that? Or was someone just pulling my leg.
        Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

If there was a third installment it, here are the likely candidates:

1) 1996 World Cup: US NHL pros beat Gretzky and Co. in Canada two out of three to win the first USA World Cup best on best. Tony Amonte's goal sends Canada into true National mourning.

2) 1972 USA Silver Medal at Sapporo: No one gave us a chance after finishing last in the 71 worlds. Goalie Lefty Curran said jump on my back.

3) 1956 USA Olympic Silver Medal at Cortina, Italy. John Mayasich and Bill Cleary lead us to Silver under Johnny Mariucci's coaching

4) 1933 Gold Medal at Prague World Championships: First and only behind goaltending of Gerry Cosby (yes - the one with the sporting goods store near Madison Square Garden)

5) 1948 Olympics: Team USA sent two Olympic Teams -- both an AAU representative and and AHAUS representative to St. Moritz, Switzerland in a pizzing contest between hockey governing bodies. It was ugly. USOC wanted AAU, while the IIHF and AHAUS wanted AHAUS team.

6) USA Women win Gold in Nagano Olympics in a shocker - 1998 - Cammi and Co shock the Canucks.

7) 2002 Olympics - USA wins silver against Canada - Richter!

8) 2004 US World Junior team wins gold in Helskini for the first time.

9) 2010 USA World Junior Gold in Saskatoon - first US gold won in Canada.

10) 1952 Olympic Silver Medal at Oslo behind Ken Yackel's strong play
          (T) 1991 Canada Cup - USA Silver Medal against loaded Canada in best on best.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            If there was a third installment it, here are the likely candidates:

1) 1996 World Cup: US NHL pros beat Gretzky and Co. in Canada two out of three to win the first USA World Cup best on best. Tony Amonte's goal sends Canada into true National mourning.
            I think that if they're gonna do something, this would be my choice. I remember that my wife and I were staying in a little motel in Door County and I was up watching this by myself. As the game wore on and it didn't look so good, I was really bummed and the announcers were talking about the celebratory mood in the arena and the whole country.

When we made our comeback, I was jumping up and down and trying not to scream out loud so as not to wake up the entire motel. My favorite part was when the announcers started talking about the stunned crowd and how the entire country would be in a state of disbelief.

One of my all time favorite hockey moments.

Another cool documentary would be of Rendezvous 85(?). Remember when the NHL skipped the All-star game and had two games of Team NHL vs Team Russia? I believe that this was before the Soviet Union broke up and Russia was stacked and the teams split the series. Some great hockey and just a few short years later, all of those Russians were in the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              Another cool documentary would be of Rendezvous 85(?). Remember when the NHL skipped the All-star game and had two games of Team NHL vs Team Russia? I believe that this was before the Soviet Union broke up and Russia was stacked and the teams split the series. Some great hockey and just a few short years later, all of those Russians were in the NHL.
              Rendez-vous '87 was played in Quebec City. Some of the very best hockey ever played- and would make an interesting documentary. Only three Americans played in the series for the NHL - Ramsay, Chelios and Langway. Mark Howe was selected but was hurt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendez-vous_'87

Comment

We had an interview with Tommy Haines on The Hockey Show back on December 10th:

http://thehockeyshow.blogspot.com/20...-click_10.html

Also at the above link, you can find the interview we did with him in 2008 when Pond Hockey came out. Enjoy!
                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                ECAC:
                HEA: UMass
                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                X