Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Agree that it could be a stepping stone for Oz just as easily as it could be for the Don.

While obviously it's preferable to hire someone who will be here and be successful for 15+ years, I think the priority is to get the program back on track asap. Even if someone is here for only 4 years, if they get back to the NCAA's right away and put together a FF run and recruit well, we're back in business and can take it from there pretty easily.

On Coghlin, there's no doubt he's a great hockey coach, but frankly that's only part of the job. Hockey people that know Mike Eaves pretty much all agree he has one of the best hockey minds around, and if it was just showing up and teaching hockey he'd probably still be in charge. Recruiting and to a much lesser extent, PR, are major factors and recruiting is where we really don't know how Coghlin would stack up on the D-1 level, especially with 16-17 year old superstars. He may be the most awesome guy ever, I wouldn't argue it, but this is no time to experiment.

I do find it amusing how much weight Coghlin fans want to give tying (or beating, or almost beating... Whatever.) the worst UW team in history in a closed scrimmage game. Don't care if the Norby's beat UW 15-1. It doesn't matter one lick. If they played a game every year for the last 15 years, and I mean real games that actually count for something, and giving SNC all benefit of any doubt, MAYBE they are 1-14. In any case it's no basis for hiring a coach. If it were, the target is obviously Matt Loen at UWEC who played two actual games against a D-1 opponent this year to draws and waxed SNC 5-1 in the final. But I suspect UW isn't hiring him either.

Happy Easter, Badgers. Hope you all find something great in your baskets.
    Last I'll post on the subject:
    - I'm fairly certain Coghlin has no desire to fill the UW coaching position.
    - Sounds like Alvarez doesn't know or care to know too much about hockey, so I doubt he even knows who Coghlin is.
    - One of the worst SNC teams in the last 10 years tying the worst UW team in years has nothing to do with why Coghlin would be a smart candidate to pursue. His unrivaled success over the last 20+ years however could be a good reason.
    - What the hell are you talking about regarding UW-EC? They didn't play SNC this year. Also, something tells me SNC might also hold their own against Arizona State.
    - I think Chris Chelios would be an excellent choice to coach UW's beer pong club team or ultimate frisbee, but I'm not so sure about the men's hockey program.

Edit: Coghlin's NCAA coaching success is rivaled by one other current coach; Jerry York.
    Last edited by altazo; 03-27-2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

$#%@ing awesome news. Now, to complete the slam dunk, bring Howie back in some capacity to develop the goalies.

Thank you Pat Richter for finding a way to round up these guys and thanks BA for pulling the trigger (you still suck as an AD).

Hopefully, there is some succession plan in place down the road. Don't see the two assistant coaches being content to stay in those positions after 4-7 years. This group WILL bring UW back to a national power. Highly doubt there will be any defections of high end incoming recruits.

We could be like LeBron and say: Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4....... (felt good saying that after the past few seasons)

EDIT: Sounds like Chellie will replace Tony Granato as Wings asst coach.

It's a Great Day For Hockey!
      Last edited by NEWI Badger Fan; 03-27-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• FWIW...

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          Fitting that Wisconsin hockey should arise from the dead on this day.
          I thought you weren't much of a believer in all that Christian stuff there burd? Maybe your hanging around the religion thread in the Cafe is having a positive impact. It will be remembered that Easter 2016 was the beginning of a dynasty in college hockey.

I want to know who put the deal together, Ritcher or BA, so credit can be properly dispensed.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

On Wisconsin!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
              FWIW...

http://i.imgur.com/cYanmPn.gif
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

This is incredible news.....wow - just awesome!

It will be interesting to hear if MJ was offered the position at all....have to think that this part of the story will eventually come out. i hope he has no bitter feelings in regards to how this shook out and he stays with the women's team for years to come.

On Wisconsin!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  I want to know who put the deal together, Ritcher or BA, so credit can be properly dispensed.
                  I'm prepared to believe that Barry had more of a hand in this than I would've ever thought to believe.

Some yokel on the Wisconsin247 boards seems to believe (claiming an in-the-know former player as a source) that this was in the works for a while, and that it's one of the reasons Tony didn't go to Toronto with Mike Babcock. In which case, it means this was going on in the background when Shuchuk and Walsh were fired, and keeping Eaves was just a way to (1) give him a final chance to turn it around, (2) not throw another coach into the fire for a season and risk some bad-for-recruiting turbulence while waiting for Tony to become available, and (3) make the transition a little more smoothly and give Oz and Don time get prepared.

I mean, that's a heck of a conspiracy theory, but I can buy into it. Barry overnight goes from the object of all my ire to some sort of Machiavellian genius if there's any truth there.

At this point, I just feel kind of bad for Bittner and Strand, getting strung around for a year. But maybe they knew what was up.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Some dumba** (myself) said hiring a "badger" guy would be a stupid. I was wrong this whole coaching package is flippin AMAZING. Talk about an exciting hire Ready for the kohl to be rocking again baby!

Comment

• Originally posted by BuB View Post
                      This is incredible news.....wow - just awesome!

It will be interesting to hear if MJ was offered the position at all....have to think that this part of the story will eventually come out. i hope he has no bitter feelings in regards to how this shook out and he stays with the women's team for years to come.

On Wisconsin!
                      MJ turned it down

Comment

• Originally posted by NEWI Badger Fan View Post

EDIT: Sounds like Chellie will replace Tony Granato as Wings asst
                        Fan speculation and members of the media saying that Chelios "could be" a candidate for the job is a long way from "will replace." It's just as likely that the Wings would seek out a veteran NHL coach to join their first year head coach who has only one other NHL assistant season under his belt and his other assistant who is in his first season coaching in the NHL. It's one of the reasons they brought Granato back this year. Chelios has zero experience as a full time coach, head or assistant. Grand Rapids Head Coach Todd Nelson has NHL experience as an assistant and as an interim Head Coach and would be a far better candidate. I'm not saying it definitely won't be Chris, but the Wings will likely explore a few options.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                          MJ turned it down
                          OK - good to know. He can't have sour grapes then.

Wow, if the "Three Amigos" (we have to come up with a nickname for this group - if things go well, the Three Wise Men, if they go poorly, the Three Stooges) are the consolation prize - I will gladly take it!

Yes, I'll be back in Section 206 next season....
                          Last edited by BuB; 03-27-2016, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                            They played Arizona State... And they didn't beat SNC 5-1 in the final. That would be UWSP, not UWEC.

Happy Easter to you and everyone else!
                            ASU last years Badgers, pretty similar. Yeah, I thought there was a partial sentence about Chris Brooks moved in there before I hit enter. Oops.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Okay, I have chores to get done. Anyone watching the regional finals on ESPNU today let the thread know if they ever discuss this in the intermission reports.

Comment

Was wearing my lucky Easter socks today too!

Just kidding. It's 86 degrees and sunny here. My socks are safe, unlike most of you guys.

Apparently the Emporer was tired of everyone saying he wasn't a hockey guy. Even if it's Richter's doing Barry still had to have his hands in putting it together. Thanks your lordship.
                                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Working...
                                X